Why is karate under attack!

Posted by: Victor Smith

Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 06:11 AM

Karate under attack is nothing new.

Let's see I recall the boxers maintaing they could demolish anyone in karate. Then the "Bruce Lee" faddists maintained the same. Then Ninjutsu dudes, the Full Contact Karate can demolish all others, and so forth to todays jututsu stylists.

If you stay around a while you see it over and over and each time it's the same, our art it stronger, more complete, etc.

What you find is it makes absolutely no difference in the long run. Each group makes the same claims, trying to pick off the 'big boy' to make a name for themselves.

What is the reality?

1. Karate is not one practice, it's thousands of different practices, which sometimes resemble their abstraction of what's bad/wrong about karate, and frequently is something they have no idea about.
2. Each art has a different audience. the person who really want's to study Chiense systems has no interest in Okinawan ones. The person who was't jujutsu has no interest in karate's arts. So all the yak is just that yak.
3. Arts that mix it up (Boxing, wrestling and so forth) simply eliminate anyone's who's not willing to do so almost immediately, because of pain or lack of inherent skill). Their focus is taking a small set of techniques and pushing them so those that have it get 'it' quickly and then polish off those that don't. That very infreqently has been what any of the karate answers were for, but the range of what karate respesents is so vast there are karate programs with identicla agenda's as those programs too.
4. The continual pressing, how does this work, and it's wrong because whatever reason, such as the person is too upright to make it work, is always based on hasty abstraction. Outside of a general level of discourse, you can't take something that is built piece by piece in instruction and explain all the details in simple words.
5. The claims Karate can't handle this (pick any of their claims) is based on their perception of what karate is and what it does. One simple example, the karate I teach is not deliminted by you can or you can't do at advancing levels. One almost always has something in ones hands in reality, and as we practice environmental defense such as using keys, etc., removing 3 or 4 inches of someone's face as they're trying to shoot in reality is a reasonable response based on our art has no rules.
6. The true reality, where most of us train and live, the odds of being attacked by a boxer, a BJJ stylist, a ninji or whatever are non-existent, so who cares. Numerially there are likely more people running around in any area who have trained in wrestling than any of those arts, in say the last 100 years. How many documented cases of fights exist where wrestlers took people out with a shoot? guess what very few because most wrestlers don't fight, nor to most boxers, ninji or karate-ka. Their training leads them away from actual violence unless totally necessary. Worring about the 'dreaded' attack has little to do with reality which is always chaging.

Well that gives you some idea of what I consider 30+ years of watching variations on these attacks.

And what do they mean.

Well if anything karate became stronger over the years, attack after attack. Perhaps because instructors considered those points too.

In a generic sense, in a public mind, karate is number one, and what the attacks represent is envy and a desire to pick off the big boy.

But in reality, karate is not one thing, and whatever assumptions they base their charges on, which may be accurate assessments in some realities, never take into accout the full range of what karate activities represent.

So 'generically' doing 'karate' we should be flattered that they care enough to try and take 'us' on.

Cause you will find when the next fad art replaces the current fad arts, those arts will be doing the same, I guarantee it. It's what the lessons show over and over.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 07:00 AM

Victor,

I think this post is extremly worth while putting some words based on expierience down,

I think the 'attacks' are mainly delivered against TMA (karate included) which essentially train with kata as the base, on the surface its an easy target.

Also many TMA make claims that are incredibly inaccurate, ie semi contact modern club advertising 'self defense' - you know the ones they often have a karateka using a jodan kick at long range in the advertisement............ However we all know that this isnt accurate at all.

I agree that 'karate' is a vast topic, with many interpretations. After 10 years of study I dropped karate as what I was taught wasnt working in reality, this wasnt the arts fault of course. I looked else where and studied wing chun, judo and thai boxing for a few years, without doubt I became a better martial artist for doing this and I wouldnt change a thing now.

However my love of karate tradition sent me on a search for 'real' karate - something that i have now found with my instructors, the crazy thing was it was always there, i just didnt see it! (and its not different at all from the key things i learned from judo, thai boxing and wing chun)

For me the problem is two fold -

1. People want different things from karate, they train for different reasons - often forgetting that fact when they 'discuss'or advertise their karate.

2. karate is taught (or applied) in different ways by every dojo, this often doesnt meet the practioners motivations/expectations for training, leading for them to 'jump ship' early in training - sometimes this is the right thing to do, sometimes it isnt. karate is meant to be taught differently to different individuals, however this isnt practical to dojos who want large numbers of students for the £ or $.

I think it is fair to say that some people look at martial arts as a business (increasingly so) and therefore the 'moral' side to TMA instrution/practise is often a 'grey' area.

I now train with specific goals and sometimes no goals, I also view karate as a lifes study and try and make what we do in the dojo effect my life outside of the dojo, I view karate as a tree which has lots of branches examples (just my curent 'karate')-

strength training (home)
endurance training (home)
internal study (shitatsu training, TCM based)
makiwara/heavy bag training
dojo training - mainly kata and pair work, all ranges, no pads
diet changes (inc suppliments)
meditation (basic zen)
kobudo training

this is all done bit by bit, no rush for belts or certificates and all integrated into what I call 'karate'. of course it is also all ok by my instructors to pursue these things, thats important to me as well.

I also place great importance that when people ask me why i do these things (karate) that i awnser because I love training in karate, yep I get some self defense, some health and moral benefits, a great bunch of likeminded people to train with and discuss things with worldwide etc etc but these are all additional benefits, i train because I love the tradition and self improvement that TMA brings into my life, and for me specifically okinawan karate.

karate wasnt designed (to me) for sporting matches, to break bricks, to devestate several attackers armed with swords or even to do the full splits - it can be interprated this way if one wishes, karate to me is about life preservation and life development, for us and everyne we come into contact with, and long may it last.

I will admit I am a little blinkered in my views, and have trouble dealing with individuals who are less motivated than myself, but my training is helping my character develop as well.

One of my instructors said to me a long time ago, I can teach you to run extremly fast to your destination, but when you get there you will be out of breath, sweaty and thirsty, you wont have noticed much on the way,

or we could take a stroll together , meet a few friends on the way, take a good lunch out at a nice resturant, hell stop of for a sleep. You could also bring your family and friends, and meet mine, if you need to stop at all then I can happily wait a while for you.

The trick is to enjoy the journey, not the destination!
Posted by: kickcatcher

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 07:06 AM

Sounds like you don’t really understand the common criticisms of karate mate. You also make many generalizations that wouldn’t be allowed here if they were made from the other ‘side’.
Quote:

1. Karate is not one practice, it's thousands of different practices, which sometimes resemble their abstraction of what's bad/wrong about karate, and frequently is something they have no idea about.

You are suggesting that karate’s critics don’t know karate? That is naïve and unsubstantiated generalization.
Quote:

3. Arts that mix it up (Boxing, wrestling and so forth) simply eliminate anyone's who's not willing to do so almost immediately, because of pain or lack of inherent skill). Their focus is taking a small set of techniques and pushing them so those that have it get 'it' quickly and then polish off those that don't. That very infreqently has been what any of the karate answers were for, but the range of what karate respesents is so vast there are karate programs with identicla agenda's as those programs too.

So the scope of karate is vaster than say MMA???? –MMAers probably being the most vocal detractors of Karate.
Quote:

4. The continual pressing, how does this work, and it's wrong because whatever reason, such as the person is too upright to make it work, is always based on hasty abstraction. Outside of a general level of discourse, you can't take something that is built piece by piece in instruction and explain all the details in simple words.

I’m lost, you haven’t explained that in simple words. What do you mean?
Quote:

5. The claims Karate can't handle this (pick any of their claims) is based on their perception of what karate is and what it does. One simple example, the karate I teach is not deliminted by you can or you can't do at advancing levels. One almost always has something in ones hands in reality, and as we practice environmental defense such as using keys, etc., removing 3 or 4 inches of someone's face as they're trying to shoot in reality is a reasonable response based on our art has no rules.

How many people “shooting in” –(a clear reference to MMA/Wrestling type adversaries????) have you maimed in your training?
Quote:

In a generic sense, in a public mind, karate is number one, and what the attacks represent is envy and a desire to pick off the big boy.

Substantiate that claim. Why is karate “Number 1”?

Quote:

Cause you will find when the next fad art replaces the current fad arts, those arts will be doing the same, I guarantee it. It's what the lessons show over and over.

So BJJ is a fad? MMA is a fad? And karate isn’t….
Posted by: Ryokan

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 07:22 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you don’t really understand the common criticisms of karate mate. You also make many generalizations that wouldn’t be allowed here if they were made from the other ‘side’.

Pray tell, what are the criticisms - from your POV?

Quote:

You are suggesting that karate’s critics don’t know karate? That is naïve and unsubstantiated generalization.

Your generalization is equally naïve and unsubstantiated... if not contradictory. Show us a critic who "knows" karate and I'll show you a critic who "thinks" they know karate, but really doesn't "understand" karate.

Quote:

So the scope of karate is vaster than say MMA???? –MMAers probably being the most vocal detractors of Karate.

"Vaster" (is there such a word? Don't they teach English in the UK anymore?) than your limited knowledge for sure.

Quote:

It's quite simple really.... you just need to be able to read to Grade 15 level.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 07:28 AM

Have you finished with the personal attacks devoid of critical argument?

Vaster not being a word? Classic. Your grip of the English language is clearly not brobdingnagian.
Posted by: Ryokan

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 08:10 AM

Have you?

Not only is your post full of personal atacks and gross generalizations, it is devoid of any level of intelligence, let alone critical argument.

When you have finished showing us you can use a dictionary, maybe you'll give us the name of that critic huh?

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 11:26 AM

O Kick,

I see a vast difference between stopping somebody who's attacked me and training. I don't maim people in trianing, on the other hand if attacked I don't follow rules.

As for lingiustic use of language, detest, language is mutable and continually changing, and if it makes communiates in the language game being played there is no right or wrong. Of course you might still be using that quaint older style of the language from your side of the world.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 11:52 AM

O Victor,
Re the maiming, how do you entrain this using your keys against a shoot?

Is karate vaster than MMA?

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 12:10 PM

Alas Kick,

Burmese stick technique applied to environmental weapons.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/07/05 04:29 PM

I'll unlock this thread as long as it stays within the rules.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/08/05 02:03 PM

Why?

Simple--karate is a complex art with a very diverse range of styles and applications.

Most folks simply don't understand karate or have only seen the "McDojo" kinda thing.

People being people, have an inherent need to feel "better" or somehow superior to others and they use there lack of understanding and limited exposure to build "straw-men" that can attacked with greater ease than spending the time and effort to develop an deeper understanding of karate.

(much rather hear the views of folks that have practiced for many years then the views of a "newby" in pretty much anything.)

Add in that many people only feel they can stand tall by cutting others down.

Add to that, people invest a lot of blood, sweat, cash etc in thier training and ANTTHING that is done "differently" tends to call into question what "they" are doing.

So you get a ton of baseless attacks.

And it NOT just karate, seems like there are a LOT of folks that are so insecure about the arts they practice that they feel that MUST attack people and arts that are "differnt."

Pretty much everyone art gets attacked.

Thing that gets me is that you almost NEVER see the "name" guys/gals in any art doing the attacking, almost always someone nobody has heard of--guess all the "name" people are all to busy training to take the time to be offensive.

I think there is a lesson in that.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/08/05 03:45 PM

I'd say that a lot of people think Karate is what they see in the movies, TV, Demos and Tournament sparring (Some young student think this all there is). They think that Karate people fight hopping on 1 leg while throwing 5-6 kicks, that touch the guy in the ribs or head. They see fighters tapped in the face that, stop cry foul. Most people only see Padded sport Kick striking (Karate means empty hands) and thinks its Karate. Most people that can fight don't respect this much, (wonder why?) only after being shown some pesonal versions of real Karate do they realized its potential and are in awe.

Karate is a great basic foundation to build upon it covers most if not all ranges somewhat. Maybe not deep grappling. It can be a very basic and point blank self defense system or very complex and diverse fighting and healing system. It can be a simple s/d system or a way of life or both.

And yes it can be diluted into a fun sport activity thats makes a fun tough game of tag. Or it can become the ground works of full contact kick boxing both can gets you in pretty good condition for sport.

But its not what Karate is about.
Posted by: Lex

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/09/05 12:49 AM

just beat up everyone thats says karate is a bad style.( have fun in jail) i welcome a challenge. sparring other styleist is fun. winv or lose i learn a lot. its under attack cause its got more McDojos than anything else. if ur good at what u do then no worries.

karate under attack, eh no big thing. i bad mouth lots of styles. just cause someone says a style isnt as good as another doesnt make it true and we all know that. it depends on the person taking the style. i live in southern california where every other dojo is TKD or USSD (united studios of self defense) and people bad mouth karate as if we were out there kicking people in the groin, even though that would be fun. lol. just do what u enjoy the most.
Posted by: Lex

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/09/05 12:52 AM

hey cxt and neko, love ur points. so true.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/10/05 01:40 AM

Quote:

Actually, yeah, it is umm..."vaster" . MMA is a sport, one that I enjoy participating in. But in the ring, there's rules, and protective equipment, and a referee, and your corner..... so, yes, the art of karate has a broader field to cover.

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um...that's cause he just said "you can't take something...and explain it in simple words". Pay attention, Kick...ur slacking. Ususally I enjoy your blunt attitude, and I enjoy ur website too. But c'mon, at least read what you're arguing about. I personally love to argue(and I like to see how long I can make Victor talk, too) so I'll chalk this one up to a small oversight on your part.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/10/05 01:42 AM

Quote:

I'll unlock this thread as long as it stays within the rules.

Hooray! I think it's a good topic. And who doesn't like a heated debate?
Posted by: WADO

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/10/05 06:46 PM

what was known as karate in the U.S. was the type of Shotokan that the Koreans were taught by Japanese instructors, and that American Soldiers learned in Korea During the Korean war, the art that was considered Japanese in the 50s 60s and 70s was Judo, the debates then were whether Karate was better than Judo because Judo had already developed a history in the U.S. What Bruce lee was criticizing was a very formal sport form of Shotokan, for example he stated that a karate punch is like getting hit with an iron bar while a Chinese punch was a ball on a chain. He did not seem to comprehend the sharpness training that takes place in Karate, in the 90's it was more of a glorigfication of brazillian Jui Jitsu. In UFC 1 the Gracie family ste up the tournamnet so Royce would not fight Shamrock in the first round or Gordeau in the first round instead they put him in the ring with the #10 WBO ranked boxer who wore a glove, they put Shamrock against Patrick Smith, the tournament was set up a bit but in UFC 2 Gracie fought the #1 ranked kyokushin fighter in Japan and won so they started making direct comparisons. Since BJJ was relatively novel in the U.S. people compared it to what they knew. Here is my answer Karate ouldn't have survived if it wasn't good, is it the best well it could depend on the matchup, and the individual skills of each fighter.
Posted by: Deltaforce69

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/13/05 05:00 AM

Karate becomes ineffective in the street or in fighting with other contact arts (such as boxing, which i respect a lot and train)when is not taught properly! Real Contact -necessary to test power and to train your spirit- pain compliance and body conditioning are the keys; once a student as the will to follow the old way (okinawan) karate become extraordinary efficient and ruthless. I remind u that Motobu Sensei defeated a boxer, and the numerous fighting that Oyama Sensei did.

gambatte
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/13/05 07:09 AM

Probably the biggest reason that Karate has come under attack is that it is THE art that has been hijacked by mcdojoism and bullshido. I know that Karate is more than effective for SD when trained properly, but when you have some slick haired snakeoil salesman trying to teach you "martial arts", it's easy to dismiss everything else that goes by a similar name as worthless.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/13/05 05:07 PM

People fear that which they do not understand.

*Walks away from keyboard, 3 inches off the ground*

*Disappears*

*Reappears, Forgot to press "submit" *

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 12:59 AM

Quote:

Karate becomes ineffective in the street or in fighting with other contact arts (such as boxing, which i respect a lot and train)when is not taught properly! Real Contact -necessary to test power and to train your spirit- pain compliance and body conditioning are the keys; once a student as the will to follow the old way (okinawan) karate become extraordinary efficient and ruthless. I remind u that Motobu Sensei defeated a boxer, and the numerous fighting that Oyama Sensei did.

gambatte

Pain compliance and bone conditioning! Were not all Oyama or intent on harming or deforming ourselves. Show me facts where this is the 'old way'.
There are better,smarter ways to train in my opinion.
Posted by: shihan_chris

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 05:14 AM

(Your generalization is equally naïve and unsubstantiated... if not contradictory. Show us a critic who "knows" karate and I'll show you a critic who "thinks" they know karate, but really doesn't "understand" karate.)

This statement is very true!

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 05:35 AM

If you truly become profficient at karate then you are at a level where you can do 6 moves in one second, and even kill a man with a single punch, or break a man's arm with a side kick. But, if your not that good yet, then don't feel bad, because of the six billion people in the world, there are only a few thousand that are actual "masters"
But, you dont have to be an expert to make karate work in a real situation. (of course it helps if your style is more suited to reality type training.) (which doesn't mean it can't be traditional training) I know a 68 year old man thats a 10th degree black belt that could probably woop anybody on the planet. Whether you believe that or not makes absoultely no difference to me. It doesn't make it any less true. A lot of guys seem to support boxing 100%, because all they have ever been exposed to is ESPN, ultimate fighting, pride fighting and etc., and guys that give karate a bad name. I have news for you, there is some very good and capable karate out there. Of course, some of you seem to not be impressed by Oyama killing a bull with a single punch, or Yamamoto going into a cage with a bengal tiger and killing it with a staff, or smashing ten huge blocks of ice with his elbow, or breaking concrete blocks with his fingertips. Some of you maintain that tyson's hook is a hell of a lot more powerful. Funny thing though, tyson broke his wrist in a street fight, because he couldn't keep his wrist alligned. Probably because he's used to wearing gloves. Anyway, whether you throw a straight punch, hook, uppercut, or whatever, if you do it right then there is no way you would break your wrist.
Posted by: Korbillion

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 07:47 AM

Quote:

If you truly become profficient at karate then you are at a level where you can do 6 moves in one second, and even kill a man with a single punch, or break a man's arm with a side kick.

I would reply to this nonsense but I just cant seem to stop laughing...

Korb

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 01:27 PM

Sanchin deformity is the result of wrong training; the key of doing effective are full contact sparring (to get accustom to hit and pain) and body conditioning (which done properly and with-as said before-correct liniments). This has been done for century in china and thailand and okinawa.

Gambatte

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 01:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you truly become profficient at karate then you are at a level where you can do 6 moves in one second, and even kill a man with a single punch, or break a man's arm with a side kick.

I would reply to this nonsense but I just cant seem to stop laughing...

Korb

I gotta agree with Korb here. The whole thing is an entertaining story.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 01:43 PM

Quote:

Show me facts where this is the 'old way'.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 04:14 PM

Have you ever heard of a kata called "27 movement"?
Sensei really does do it in four and a half seconds. If you do your math that is 6 moves in once second. And yes, I know at least three people that can break a man's arm with their side kick. And, yes, it is absolutely possible to crack a man's skull with a punch, but you have to have one hell of a punch.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 04:17 PM

If you don't find this realistic, then I hate to think of the incompetents that you train with.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 05:18 PM

Chris,

First to get the humor off of my head, I do believe in people killing bulls. It was my family business, my father was a Pennsylvania butcher after all. But I wonder if the discussion about what Mas Oyama did or didn't really do really matters after all. In todays world trying to do the same (and I've never seen anyone else possessed to kill top prove it) would have worldwide PETA on their tales, and the anti animal abuse folks are a lot more committed, IMO.

I've seen lots of different speed games done by MA's. I remember John Hamilton (Shorin No Tora) in Pittsburgh doing such decades ago.

Nice to watch but hardly necessary is it after all.

Doing kata fast, trained that way more than a few times.

But a kata called 27 moves? That's a new one for me.

The closest I've seen is Niseishi/Nijushiho which is 24 steps.

Of course there are:

Seisan is 13
Useishi/Gojushiho is 54 Steps
Sanchin is 3 battles
Seipai is 18
Sanseiru is 36
Pechurim/Suparimpei is 108
Juroku is 17
Nipaipo is 28 steps or 8 steps
Paipuren is 8 Steps at a time.
(I'm using John Sells Unante as source, all spelling errors my sloppy fingers and no desire to recheck my typing, alas).

Of course it would be base humor to inqure whether Sanchin and Neishi make 27, or whether it was 1/2 of Gojushiho to count as 27, or wheter it was Naipaipo with a missing move that made the 27.

But as I don't recognize your art or your instructors, and you are undoubtedly discussing something which is perhaps private to your tradition, whatever that tradition is.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
isshinryu karate
yang tai chi chaun
wu tai chi chaun

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 06:35 PM

For clarification purposes...........
This is the first and most basic (yet still one of the most important) kata taught in Yoshukai
Karate.

Ni-ju-hichi-ko (27 movements)
This kata starts from yoi and ends with yame
* Each movement is preformed with both sides of the body, starting with the left first.
1. Jodan-age uke (high-block)
2. Soto-uke (Inside to outside block)
3. Uchi-uke (Outside to inside block)
4. Gedan berai (low block)
5. Chudan-zuki (middle area punch from uchi-hachiji-dachi)
6. Chudan-kagi-zuki (middle area side punch)
7. Jodan-ushiro-mawashi-zuki (high, rearward, roundhouse punch)
8. Tate-empi-uchi (face elbow strike)
9. Shuto-uke (open hand block)
10. Chudan-teisho-uchi (open hand palm forward strike)
11. Yoko-empi-uchi, mawashi-empi-uchi (side, elbow strike in shiko-dachi, roundhouse elbow strike)
12. Jodan-ushiro-mawashi-empi-uchi (high, rearward, roundhouse, elbow strike)
13. Ushiro-empi-uchi (rearward, elbow strike both elbows at once)

When I said that my sensei does the kata in four and a half seconds, this is the kata I was speaking of.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 07:18 PM

I found that kata here.

http://www.kvkarate.com/begin/kihon.htm

Can you tell us your profile and who these people are?
Posted by: Korbillion

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 07:41 PM

Quote:

If you don't find this realistic, then I hate to think of the incompetents that you train with.

What I find laughable is that fact that you equate this criteria with being a proficient martial artist.

6 moves per second. The means speed. No mention of technique, power, etc.

Break a man's arm with a side kick. My 10 year old son can do that, and he hasnt had a day's training in his life.

My friend, there is SO much that goes into being a proficient martial artist, that trying to encapsulate it in two or three superficial criteria is laughable.

And I know I am off line with the rest of the crowd here abouts, but being a good martial artist has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with how well you can fight.

It is spirit. Kime. Attitude. Perspecitve. Yes, ability plays a factor, but in my eyes, a jerk (which, by the way,the martial arts are replete with) is not a martial artist, I dont care how many people he can beat up.

Korb

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 09:23 PM

I think that you missed the entire point. My point was that there are different caliber of martial artists, and those that are greatly skilled in the entirety of their art are few in number. Perhaps not more than a few thousand in the entire world are true "masters."
I could have made a much more detailed list about the abilities, and the perserverance of the highly skilled MA's, but instead i merely mentioned a few of the physical abilities. Of course, there are to many aspects to mention.
(even in a thousand page book, you would not be able to list all of these characteristics)

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 09:29 PM

Thanks Chris,

I appreciate the information. With so many styles there is always somebody with a different answer.

One of my friends (Carl Long's Shorin Ryu Honda Katsu) uses Naifanchi as a speed kata drill. I remember decades ago working to drive the speed below 10 seconds. I've also seen some styles that also 'blast' through their kata.

I understand the concept of speed, but there are several ways to address it.

My personal preference works on correct body placement and a leasurily response in return (of course it always doesn't work out as planned then it's Plan 'B' time.

My normal experience with quicker kata performance is that normally the focus and precision in each technique is somewaht sacrificed for the speed.

I can make a case for it either way, but it's not where I'm moving.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 09:33 PM

The important thing is to remember to train all aspects of MA. Speed is a very important factor, but so is proper technique. I've trained kata fast, extremely fast, moderate, and slow (isometric dynamic tension training). You work on several different things each way.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 09:40 PM

Quote:

I think that you missed the entire point. My point was that there are different caliber of martial artists, and those that are greatly skilled in the entirety of their art are few in number. Perhaps not more than a few thousand in the entire world are true "masters."

Man, you sure wrote alot but I wasn't getting that at all.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/14/05 10:04 PM

At any level, there is always something new to learn. Even if you are like my sensei and have been in karate for over fifty years. You never stop practicing that which you have already learned, and you never stop learning new things. The better you get, the deeper your understanding of techniques, and kata becomes. So, keeping this in mind, then its obvious that there are times when you should go through the kata slow, but there are also times when you should do it as fast as you can without messing up. Sometimes, its best to sacrifice (some) speed in order to do the technique at the best of your ability. But for people like my sensei, when they go fast they don't sacrifice technique. They still do it correctly. Even more correct then when I do it. There are so many subtle and minute things about the various kata that I have yet to learn. When you do kata as fast as you can, while still doing it correctly, its possible after many many yeas of training to become so profficient that its as natural as breathing.

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/15/05 05:07 AM

Sanchin is not my intention neither arrogance to show anything; go to Okinawa or to hong kong or to muay thai camps in thailand and see by yourself (karate is research).
The real masters from Matsumora to Itosu, from Kyan to Yamaguchi, from Funakoshi to Oshima and Kubota they trained in this way and they look pretty effective to me and not crippled.........I do the same train that have ben taught and i do not look cripple as well........

Gambatte
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/21/05 02:16 AM

Who cares why? My art, dojo and personal skills are up to scratch. The mugger doesn't care what style you do. The various criticsims of karate made by "MMA enthusiasts" aren't valid and show ignorance of champion MMA fighters (like Bas Rutten's predilictions to Tai Chi and kata etc).

If people are ignorant as to think in terms of art or style superiority (which, shows lack of depth on their part - for example I have heard junior grades at Hapkido rubbish Muai Thai, which is an intricate art which has a multitude of defenses for various attacks), let them be. They will only train to be insular as strip mall karate once was (or still is).
Posted by: Shotokan_Nut

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 08/23/05 01:20 AM

Anyway most styles are seen as "self defence" so no one is better than the other. I was challenged by a 16 year old blackbelt in TKD when i was a red belt in Shotokan (12 years old). I just ran towards him and let out a blood curdling KIAI! and he fell backwards in fright. He left red faced from being laughed out of the dojo by the kids. Its all down to sheer determination to defeat your opponent. Its the mind set of you that concludes the outcome. Anyway winning a fight with violence is no victory. To subdue the enemy with words is the most important skill
Posted by: roniwankan

Re: Why is karate under attack! - 09/21/05 01:24 PM

Hey,
Too many people say too many things.
If people were a little more intellinget they would not only express their thoughts, but also ask for other views.
About "karate is number one", I agree with you (because I practice karate), but if I was a judoka, I would desagree with you, understand???