terms

Posted by: pisces590

terms - 07/29/05 02:04 PM

I have heard so many different ways of saying karate on here; karate, karateka, karate-ka, karate-do, etc. what do all these mean. I really want to know, because i tend to understand stuff better when i know something of its background.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: terms - 07/29/05 02:31 PM

Quote:

I have heard so many different ways of saying karate on here; karate, karateka, karate-ka, karate-do, etc. what do all these mean. I really want to know, because i tend to understand stuff better when i know something of its background.

Perhaps next time you should search to see if this topic was broached before. At the top of your screen there's several options, like "My Home", "Main Index", and then it says "Search" (I can't always get the search engine to work for me however).

That being said...

Karate = empty hand
karateka/ karate-ka = student of karate
karate do = the way of karate
Posted by: Kintama

Re: terms - 07/29/05 02:43 PM

I'll jump in here before you start springing leek holes from all the arrows and darts being aimed at you right now...

short answer:
karate is kara-te
'karroty' is derrogatory for Americanized karate.
karateka is a karate practioner.
karate-do is Japanification of 'the way' or life path of karate and the 'do' was tacked on to make karate part of the family of Japanese budo Arts.
karate-jutsu/jitsu - The science/skill of karate.

you kindof need to know the basic history of karate first, read this entire thing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate
Posted by: Boomer

Re: terms - 07/29/05 02:48 PM

Quote:

'karroty' is derrogatory for Americanized karate.

Lol...I know a few people that call it that! Kinda like "rasslin" and "wrestling".
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: terms - 07/29/05 10:19 PM

...and, don't forget the following dreaded bastardizations:
"chucks", "nunchucks", numchucks", "chucka-sticks"
Correct term: Nunchaku (noon-chah-koo)

(sorry to derail but I couldn't help it)
Posted by: roniwankan

Re: terms - 09/21/05 02:15 PM

Well, different pronunciations are common if your language is not Japanese
I'm from Brasil, and portuguese has so many vowel sounds as japanese has.
Do not worry, search and time give you the answers...