Respects to a Sensei...

Posted by: Kintama

Respects to a Sensei... - 07/07/05 11:22 PM

Kenzo Mabuni (son of Kenwa Mabuni)
(30 May 1927 - 26 June 2005)
Soke of Shito-Ryu, President of Shito-Ryu Nippon Karate Do Kai & Shito-Ryu International Karate Do Kai

Shito-Ryu is headed by Mabuni Kenzo, Soke Shito-Ryu Nippon Karate Do Kai.Mabuni Soke is the son of originating Shito-Ryu Grand Master Kenwa Mabuni. Mabuni Kenzo, Soke teaches Seito Shito-Ryu "Pure" Shito-Ryu as originally taught by his father.

After Kenwa Mabuni's death, his wife approached their third son, Kenzo, and asked that he take over the system. Kenzo had begun his karate training with his father at age 14, but as an adult had never considered taking on the grave responsibility of assuming his father's position. Kenzo took two years to weigh the commitment before stepping for ward to become head of Seito Shito-Ryu. From that time he has dedicated his life to preserving the true lineage of his father's karate. Now in his seventies, Kenzo Mabuni is considered one of the world's foremost instructors of Shito-Ryu. He travels regularly throughout Asia, South America and the United States educating practitioners in the extensive body of information left by his father.

Since 1994, Mabuni Soke has visited and taught at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts many times. In July 1996, Mount Holyoke College hosted the First Seito Shito-Ryu International Karate Do Championships. Seito Shito-Ryu karate practitioners from all over the world attended the tree day event at the College. From all reports the event was a great success and everyone had a wonderful time.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/org/karate/rightframe.html
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Respects to a Sensei... - 07/07/05 11:38 PM

So few masters left that are irreplaceable.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Respects to a Sensei... - 07/07/05 11:52 PM

The are very few true masters left. Now, one fewer.

Thank you for this info.

Page
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Respects to a Sensei... - 07/08/05 03:53 PM

It's always a shame to hear of one of the few MA greats dying. I wish his family well.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Respects to a Sensei... - 07/08/05 05:41 PM

I think my class tomorrow is going to be a very quiet one.
I already had it in mind a minutes silence in respect of London yesterday. Now it looks like two minutes.
A sad time.