kyokushin vs. other schools of karate

Posted by: ingo

kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 12:05 PM

Hello all:

I am absolutely new to karate, and have found a kyokushin school near me. I am curious what experience you have had with kyokushin vs. other schools of karate. I have read that kyokushin is more focused on actual contact sparring than other schools, but beyond that I can't tell the difference.

In broad terms, how does kyokushin compare to other schools of karate, and do you think its good for a beginner such as myself?

Many thanks!
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 12:14 PM

Kyokushin is actually a very good karate to develop fighing ability and a fighting spirit. There are only a couple of draw backs from this system that I have observed:

1) No punching to the face

2) No grappling/limited clinch

3) They tend to go toe to toe instead of using angles of attack

but other than that I would go for it.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 12:19 PM

ingo,

I think Raul hit it on the points pretty well. It may be a bit straight forward in its approach to combat, sans the face punches, but you will learn how to throw some good body shots that won't just be for show.

-B
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 12:23 PM

ingo,
It will largely depend on the specific instruction also.Lots of schools that teach the same styles teach differently.Our school is a goju school that is kata based self defense,but also incorporates groundfighting.We do lotsof sparring at all ranges,but all goju schools do not do this.Go and check it out.If you think you can get what you want out of it,go for it.

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I stopped by the school this afternoon on my lunchbreak and have been reading some of the materials i picked up. It sounds like a greath method.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!
Posted by: Salek

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 04:55 PM

Well since yall answered his question, How about shotokan vs. other arts?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/05/05 05:11 PM

Same thing.If you get out of it what you want,go for it.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/06/05 11:51 AM

I think the level of contact depends on the individual school as much as the style. Koei Kan uses bogu gear so they can spar full contact. In the old days, the local Isshinryu schools allowed heavy contact. Not so much now that we're such a litigious society. I haven't heard of too many Korean-style schools that went in for much contact.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/06/05 02:13 PM

Kyokushinkai - Go and train for a while, see if you enjoy it. If you do, Great!

Shotokan - Go and train for a while, see if you enjoy it. If you do, Great!

It's not that difficult guys, is it.

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/06/05 04:45 PM

Anyone have experience with Seido vs. Kyokushin? I understand Seido was spawned from Kyokushin, but I'm curious about technical differences...
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/06/05 04:59 PM

I was actually going to recommend the Seidokan Karate. But I was too lazy to find out where they were in NYC. Both would be good. But Seidokan seems to be more well rounded if you ask me. Ground fighting, punches to the face and such.

But as John said.... check em out and see if you like em. More doing... less asking buddy boy!
Posted by: rookie

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/07/05 12:03 PM

Seido and Seidokaikan are actually two different offshoots of Kyokushi. Seido (headquartered in NYC) is founded and run by Tadashi Nakumura who split from Kyokushi in 1976. Chris Caile, who runs this website, is a Seishihan with Seido and often trains at Honbu on 23rd street. It is not as physical as pure Kyokushin but has a good balance between kata and kumite. I am afraid I am not familiar with Seidokaikan

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/07/05 04:06 PM

Seidokaikan our the folks that bring you the K-1 Grand Prixs. Much more to the kickboxing side of affairs. Ishii, the founder of Seidokaikan was a branch manager for Ashihara Karate, and was formerly under the aegis of Kyokushin when Ashihara Sensei was.

More modern appoach to fighting when compared to traditional karate. Andy Hug switched from Kyokushin to Seido....

Good stuff.

-B
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/07/05 04:51 PM

Quote:

ingo,

I think Raul hit it on the points pretty well. It may be a bit straight forward in its approach to combat, sans the face punches, but you will learn how to throw some good body shots that won't just be for show.

-B

There's a big problem with schools that allow heady body contact and no face contact. It trains their students to drop their guard! Then they go out in the streets where 90% of techniques thrown at them will be to the head, and just about anything to the body isn't much, anyway. Better to limit the body contact a little and allow light contact to the face & head.

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/07/05 05:33 PM

Ironfoot,

I 100% agree with you...this, in some regards, is the quitessential problem with sport utility of the arts...that the function has been directed toward points or control, not stopping the conflict. This, by the way, doesn't imply that sport stylists can't perform self-defense....just that if you train "solely" for a particular sporting goal, then this is how IMHO you will react when the goal is different.

There are great virtues to sport contests of all sorts, but over reliance on some "sporting" techniques may be problematic.

Within a strict sporting context, there have been some problems with newbie kickboxers who entered the K-1 Grand Prixs from a former Kyokushin background. Many, including Andy Hug, had problems with countering the jab in many of his first bouts...because of the lack of training with regards to face punches. A properly executed jab can stop a low kick. It was just interesting to see this.

However, these guys quickly got on their game.

-B

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/20/05 03:51 PM

Hello all,

I ended up joining thie Kyokushin school near my work. It is HARD! Only been to three classes so far, and I've learned just how out of shape I am. I think I have found the style that will be the most challenging.

Thanks for the input!

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 07/20/05 08:15 PM

Dude,

Enjoy and good luck!!

Posted by: penquin

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/01/08 09:07 AM

But how many schools have you seen doing only or even mostly self-defense? My Kyokushinkai school was mostly self-defense, but it had no contact allowed. I have not encountered any more schools like that one. I would prefer it over the sport one any day.
Posted by: mwmanvt

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/12/08 01:02 PM

I studied Kyokushin. It is fantastic! We were a full contact (with pads) group.

As far as "no shots to the face makes you drop your guard"...our Sensai taught us, DONT DROP YOUR GUARD...just because you can't punch to the face does not mean you can't tap someone on the forehead as a way of saying "you just dropped your guard".

My experience with Kyokushin: It is a no nonsense, non McDojo style.

Does anyone know of a Kyokushin school in Northern Va?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/12/08 01:08 PM

I'm curious. Does the art have throws and grappling of any sort or is it just punches and kicks?

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/12/08 01:36 PM

Brian,

No, pure Kyokushin would discard grabbing and throwing in their competitions and in fact tell people to not grab, but to punch in its stead. It is an "idealized" concept of using almost exclusive kicks and punches to get the job done. It is not that these things are not trained, but that they are not focused upon.

In fact, if you see some of the older videos of people doing 50-man and 100-man kumite sessions (fighting these number of people one after the other) it was mandatory for the person doing these to hold onto small wooden sticks so as to not open the fists for grapping and only allow punches. If the stick were dropped it was considered a penalty

Daido Juku, on the other hand, is Kyokushin derivative that goes from standup to grappling.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/12/08 01:52 PM

Quote:

I studied Kyokushin. It is fantastic! We were a full contact (with pads) group.

As far as "no shots to the face makes you drop your guard"...our Sensai taught us, DONT DROP YOUR GUARD...just because you can't punch to the face does not mean you can't tap someone on the forehead as a way of saying "you just dropped your guard".

My experience with Kyokushin: It is a no nonsense, non McDojo style.

Does anyone know of a Kyokushin school in Northern Va?

Kyokushin with pads unless you are talking about the thin fist, shin&ankle pads is sissy Kyokushin if done with foam pads.

Its usually is full contact, I'd also advises against unless teaching how to keep your guards up, tapping another KK fighter in the face just to say keep your hands up or he will be disquailfied for hitting you solid in your face. Don't do it they have a lot of pride and would rather be kicked in the face then played with by U breaking the rules.

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/12/08 02:56 PM

Thanks for that info!!
Posted by: mwmanvt

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/13/08 02:40 PM

First off, it WAS the thin cloth fist, shin&ankle pads...

Second, we only did the head tap thing in PRACTICE/training not during actual matches, or during belt test etc.

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/13/08 04:41 PM

Quote:

First off, it WAS the thin cloth fist, shin&ankle pads...

Second, we only did the head tap thing in PRACTICE/training not during actual matches, or during belt test etc.

WHAT????
Posted by: idokyokushinka

Re: kyokushin vs. other schools of karate - 06/24/08 06:02 AM

Hi mate, kyokushinkai vs shotokan from me here: I have done both shotokan and currently training in kyokushin, Kyokushinkai is more about power, concentration and mental accuracy but I did have a bad experiance with shotokan, my shotokan teacher used to make us sit there doin nothing for half the lesson, I found it a waste of money, take my word for it kyokushinkai is much better and if you would like more information then I do train with hanshi steve arneil who is mas oyama's (founder of kyokushin) adopted son, so if you would like to know more drop me an email at jackstanden93@hotmail.co.uk or if you have msn add me, see you soon, also soon I am going to be starting my own kyokushinkai forum and I would ,like as many members including moderatiors as possible so also email me if you would be interested in it!! osu, jack standen