New, with a couple of questions

Posted by: PierrePressure

New, with a couple of questions - 07/02/05 08:00 PM

Hi!
I'm new here! I decided to join because I frequently have questions about karate, and while I know that every style is different, my questions are pretty general, so everyone should be able to answer.
My main question is this: does anyone know any specific exercises to improve speed? I'm really struggling with this right now. I've looked all over the internet for exercises, but nothing has really helped. Any ideas? I'm fixing to move into sparring hopefully at the end of this month when I test for my green belt (in my school, you don't start sparring until you have achieved the rank of green), and my kicks are too slow for my comfort. I've heard of plyometrics, sprints, and even doing your techniques while in water to improve speed, but does anyone know of a surefire way to improve?
Also, a friend of mine (who is also hoping to get her green belt at the end of this month) has been looking all over for pink sparring gear (lol). Any idea where she could find some?
Thanks!
-PierrePressure
Posted by: MattJ

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/02/05 08:08 PM

The typical way to get speed is through simple repetition. If you already have good form, it is just a matter of increasing your speed while maintaining your form.

Sparring itself will help your speed as well. Just keep practicing, you will get there.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/02/05 08:23 PM

MattJ hit on it well,repetition with good form is the key.Some say using weights while kicking,but I disagree with that practice.You are probably faster now than when you started and will be faster yet in the future,with practice.
Posted by: oldman

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/02/05 09:15 PM

One thing to keep in mind is remaining relaxed.
Posted by: katsuhayai05

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/02/05 10:00 PM

Keep practicing your techniques. Plyometris are usually only useful in elite level athletics as they only make fractions of differences. (althought a fraction of a second in sparring is a great deal of time.) Nervous system coordination is your best bet and that only comes from practice.
Posted by: Crash

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 09:12 AM

I know it sounds boring but, just do your technique as fast as you can, be sure to keep good form though (don't forget to chamber etc) and mabey ask your sensi and fellow students how to improve speed.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 11:19 AM

I agree with the posts above, you might want to take them into consideration.

Also training with weights or under water may instead slow you down, because when you groove down your motor programmes into your spinal cord, if you do them slow (as under water or with weights) your execution of that technique may also become slower.
That is to say training with weights or under water are both ok, but you shouldn't do specific techniques that you need to do fast, but more general training.

I don't know if this is a proven fact or only a theory, but it could be a good thing to keep in mind anyhow?

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 01:05 PM

Thanks y'all! I suppose you're right. Just increase the speed when I'm training, and sooner or later I'll get faster. It's just so agonizing! But martial arts requires patience, so maybe this is actually good for me.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 05:09 PM

whilst speed is very, very important do not rule out the effect of footwork and positioning - these 2 things will dramatically help with your 'speed', good tactical fighters are not allways super fast.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 05:17 PM

Quote:

whilst speed is very, very important do not rule out the effect of footwork and positioning - these 2 things will dramatically help with your 'speed', good tactical fighters are not allways super fast.

Right! I believe timing is more important.(Also learned with experience)
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/03/05 06:45 PM

totally agree Sanchin, although all attributes are very important I would say that footwork has had the biggest imporvement on my fighting ability, its also one of easiest to train for ie over speed, etc etc.

It kind of makes you 'seem' faster when in fact your jus tin the right position more often than not.
Posted by: Joel^R^

Faster punches and Pink Sparring gear - 07/04/05 04:19 AM

Hello Pierre,

From my many years of training in combative arts I've come across lots of different methods and exercises to improve speed.

Basically I've found using a set of ankle weights on my forearms the best training method when balanced with bag work and touch contact drills.

Weights
The ankle weights will be loose on the arms and as you move them through the techniques of your style they will slide about. This gives a more realistic 'simulation' of resistance and allows you to keep your hands free to form different fists and weapons.

Bag work
As I said this training needs to be coupled/balanced with sufficient bag work or a makiwara (striking post). This aspect of training will improve your timing, a necessary companion of speed if you are to become effective. By striking something solid you develop your spatial awareness, maii is a Japanese term meaning 'striking range'. The more you hit solid objects then you can start to relax the technique (make it really loose) all the way up until contact; this alone will improve skill.

There is also the mental aspect. My sensei in Japan was Hirokazu Kanazawa of Shotokan, he's quite famous for his brick breaking party trick in which out of a stack he will break a central brick and not harm the top one. When asked how he could achieve this feat he replied

"My fist fills a space in time already occupied by my mind."

When striking the target be loose and think that you have already hit it. Doing this should also improve speed because the brain works on images and it will work to fulfil those images. Hence a footballer who thinks about 'missing' the goal will miss, he will also do the same if he thinks in terms of 'not missing' because the brain will picture a ball missing.

Contact Drills
This is a good exercise for defence and countering. In my system we don't use the legs a great deal. (The legs deal with the legs) Instead we get in close and use the hands.

First off your 'flinch' response will be the quickest re-action you have and its natural. (don't try to train out of it). If something moves fast towards you your brain will take over your body for a moment and cause you to protect it and your vital organs with a flinch. This is so fast because its automatic and natural. The trick is to learn to come straight out at the source of danger (in a fight situation) recoil in the flinch and 'spit' forwards.

Stand in a fighting posture with a partner opposite and push your forearms together like a boxer. Try to maintain contact and 'feel' when your partner tries to get a punch in. This is a 'hard' push hand drill and rarely seen over the frequent 'soft' push hands of many styles. You can try to strike to the head or body but with practice you'll work it out. You might like to draw a circle (3ft) and require at least one foot to always be in it, so that the situation doesn't keep breaking off into slap fighting.

Hiho
Finally a secret teaching! I actually believe that one mans secret is another’s common knowledge so really there are no secret methods but maybe 'hidden' or 'subtle' ones. When you do you neck rotations slow them down a bit and focus the eyes on one central point, usually on the floor approx 10ft ahead of you. When you turn your head keep the eyes focussed ahead (don’t just stare FOCUS) this will mean you are looking from the corner of your eyes. With even a little practice your reflex speed will improve as more often than not you will be accessing your peripheral vision. The type of 'looking' you should be using in combat; looking without seeing so to speak.

Anyway I hope that has helped some?

Regarding pink sparing gear I've sent you a PM with y contact details, I believe my supplier stocks some but will need to discuss what 'type' of gear you want.

Wishing good health

Joel^R^
Posted by: CVV

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/04/05 05:49 AM

power = speed & timing.
In timing, reaction / strategy and footwork is important.
Speed : from practical stand-still go to full speed.
The cheapest training to enhance impuls acceleration is :
- strecthing legs, lower leg muscles / upper leg muscles / flexibility in ankle/achilles/knee
- power : * squads, work towards 3x50 reps
* strengthen acchilles & calves (standing on top of your toes and then lower down, elevated e.g. standing on the end of a stair, 3*20 reps
- speed : run relaxed 100 meters, sprint 100 meters for a distance of 2 - 3 km.

Train this every 2 - 3 days.

You can mix power and speed training but stretch before and after it sufficiently (at least 10 - 15 minutes).
If you feel sore in muscles, start with less repititions on squads and revert to 1 km runs's then intensify gradually.
If you have pain in the joints, stop training and seek profesional advice from doctor/fysiotherapist, something is wrong with your training (how you do it) or with your body.

This schould increase your lower body speed (footwork) and will improve your kicking speed. Will give you much "spring" and will give you the "snap" in kicking.

Re: New, with a couple of questions - 07/04/05 03:42 PM

Wow.
Thanks to everyone! These are really useful tips. I've been doing alot of research on this topic, and every little bit helps!! Also, during my research I found this book (perhaps some of you have heard of it) called Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body. The author did very extensive and impressive research as to what Bruce Lee REALLY trained like, and it's very fascinating and helpful. Any of you who are (like me) looking for new ways to up their training, you might want to check out this book. I haven't been able to apply anything I've learned yet (I just got it last night) because 1) I need finish it first (I'm halfway through), and 2) I haven't had the time today to try any of what little I have learned. Anyhow, thanks again! Keep posting if you have anything else! I'm beginning to compile all of the data I'm finding.