differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin?

Posted by: onehit

differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 06/23/05 02:35 AM

is there a difference between kyokushin and shinkyokushin?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 06/23/05 07:12 AM

Practically speaking, I don't think there are really any differences as far as training or technique.

Basically this is another split from Kyokushin after Oyama Mas' death. Different organization, different heads....

But should be similar to either Matsui's group or Midori Kenji's group, just that the Kyokushin name has some legal infringement issues attached to it. So in essence, Shin-Kyokushin...New Kyokushin.

-B
Posted by: onehit

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 06/23/05 11:11 PM

what about the fighting rules? any changes in shin kyokushin competition?
Posted by: Garyinjapan

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 07/01/05 10:14 PM

Quote:

what about the fighting rules? any changes in shin kyokushin competition?

Hello.
I train in Shinkyokushin in Fukuoka, Japan under Shihan, Midori Kenji and Sensei, Kenta Mori.
I was here when Kyokushin split into Kyokushin, Shinkyokushin.
I still wear the same Dogi, but with a shinkyokushin patch over the old kyokushin one.
I know people over in Kyokushin. Their sinsa's (gradings) are different, and in sparring I hear there's no kicking to the face
I dont think much else has changed. But I know which group I'd rather be in
Cheers Gary.Shinkyokushin, fukuoka, Japan.

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 07/01/05 11:50 PM

Gary,

I have met Midori Kenji a few times and have dinner with him a couple of times through a mutual acquaintence. He is a hell of nice guy and a very good karateka. Consider yourself lucky. !

-B

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 07/02/05 12:19 AM

Quote:

Gary,

I have met Midori Kenji a few times and have dinner with him a couple of times through a mutual acquaintence. He is a hell of nice guy and a very good karateka. Consider yourself lucky. !

-B

Hi Butterfly,
Yes, I feel privileged to train with, and be in Shihan Midori's branch (Fukuoka). And yes, he's a great guy to go out and have dinner with. He is very motivating, and gets the best out of people.
Thanks. Gary.

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 07/02/05 12:27 AM

He also loves draft beer...I participated in one demo with him. I can attest to his ability.

Cool!

-B

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 07/02/05 12:43 AM

Ah the draft beer Yes, you truely have been for dinner with him
Posted by: JPKyokushin

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 12/04/07 01:33 AM

Hey All
I have been doing Kyokushin for the last 15yrs or so and I must say after Oyama's death (God rest his soul) there has been so many things going on with the org. I just wish that someone would be onest with me and tell me why all this is happening?? it is because of power or money or what?? I mean its all the same if you ask me no matter what Branch you belong too its all Mas Oyama principals and techniques is it not?
The more questions I ask the more dead ends I find and its really putting me off training because it looks more like a every man for himself kinda situation as appose to remembering the true meaning of Karate.. Look maybe I am wrong but I am just dont understand why everyone who has some Kyokushin training can open their own dojo and call it what they like.
Fair enough if its totally different to Kyokushin but its IDENTICAL
I guess my question is why did they see a need to break up the Kyokushin style into smaller bits a pieces??
As to reply to GaryinJapan Kyokushin here in Australia... Trust me mate we DEF kick to the head during sparring.. I have the loose teeth to prove it too :-)
Anyways anyone who can put some light on the subject I would appreaciate it..

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushi - 12/04/07 02:14 AM

JP,

I can say two things: 1) Good Karate (or any martial arts) is good---and bad is bad; and 2) Human nature is what it is.

For the first, you can tell and see when something is good by experiencing it. For the second, well....in just about any art that did not have the founder mandating a particular heir (and even if he did) there will be infighting and contentiousness to take the throne that was vacated by the king.

If you have very good and talented managers, they will find themselves out of the shadow of the founder and now have the ability to strike out on their own without feeling that sense of obligation and connection to the source of their education.

For Kyokushin, the family chose Midori Kenji and others chose Matsui.

As long as you have good instruction, then that's good enough.

Human nature, as strange as it is, will have some choosing themselves as the next in line. And in every case of a founder of a particular martial art passing away, I have always noted a break up of the organization when the founder's charisma and abilities are no longer there to cement that organization together.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 12/04/07 04:13 AM

Quote:

is there a difference between kyokushin and shinkyokushin?

Yes.

Spelling and pronunciation.

Posted by: hedkikr

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 12/04/07 11:58 AM

This happens in all MA organizations...the founder dies & his top students all vie for the leadership.

I would have been nice if prior to their passing, the Soke had spelled out his wishes but more specifically (to prevent fracturing) designated the leaders of their own factions (Midori Kyokushin, Matsui Kyokushin, Mori Kyokushin, etc.) in order to preserve the union of Kyokushin. In that way, all factions could continue to come together for Gasshuku, competitions or other events.
Posted by: Ives

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 12/04/07 12:47 PM

That would have been nice indeed.
But there are always those who have rather different ideas on where to go with the style.
There are probably good and bad sides to that.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: differences between Kyokushin and Shinkyokushin? - 12/05/07 06:39 PM

Quote:

I would have been nice if prior to their passing, the Soke had spelled out his wishes but more specifically (to prevent fracturing) designated the leaders of their own factions (Midori Kyokushin, Matsui Kyokushin, Mori Kyokushin, etc.) in order to preserve the union of Kyokushin.

I don't know that this would have prevented the splintering and conflicts, but I found the thought of Oyama determining the splinters to be interesting.