Motobu Tegumi

Posted by: Alejandro

Motobu Tegumi - 06/16/05 05:43 PM

I recently had the pleasure of some of the twelve Motobu Tegumi/kumite/waza drills, and have had a lot of fun exploring and working them. I know that Patrick McCarthy, Hanshi has been widely teaching these techniques. Has anyone else had experience with these drills? What are your thoughts on them; have they complemented, or been irrelevant to your training?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Motobu Tegumi - 06/16/05 08:12 PM

I have had the pleasure and priveledge of learning these drills directly from Motobu Chosei.

They have absolutely complemented my training. I highly recommend anyone that has the opportunity learn them.

I think that if you were in the unique position to never learn anything else about martial arts, the 12 Motobu would be all you would need to study for your entire life.

Congrats Alejandro. Learn those drills well. They won't disappoint you.

Should you ever wish to discuss any in detail, please drop me a line. I love these drills.

There are only 12 other drills that I practice more than the Motobu drills( Seito-ka know what these are), thats how strongly I feel about them.

Page
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Motobu Tegumi - 06/17/05 01:00 AM

I had the pleasure of learning those from McCarthy Sensei a few years ago (or trying to learn, I'm not too talented to be honest), and I practise them occasionally as well as I can remember or figure out from my notes.
I like them much, though!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Motobu Tegumi - 06/17/05 09:07 PM

matsubayashi drills are heavily influenced by Motobus drills, (checking the hikite hand, inside slip/strikes). im looking forward to move training on these as Motobu is my favorite karate legend, a rather 'practical' man by all accounts!

From the photos I have his Naifanchi looks awesome technically and is 'alive'

isnt tegumi different from the 12 forms though? ie okinwan grappling method