kata training

Posted by: nenipp

kata training - 06/01/05 04:27 PM

I'll start off with saying I think kata is an important part of karate, this is NOT a kata-bashing thread, but what good does training the whole kata by yourself do?

I mean sure there are lots of nice exercises in kata, but wouldn't you say they become useful when you practice the oyo-jutsu with a partner?

If one is to practice alone, wouldn't it then be more effective to do one part at the time?

Of course it can be fun and feel good to do the whole kata (and that's as good a reason as any, I guess), but is there really any point to it, is there something gained that wouldn't be more effectively accomplished some other way?

For my own part I only walk through my (few) katas once or twice a week to keep them together, and spend more time practicing the lessons they contain, (preferrably) with or without a partner.

But if someone can come up with valid reasons to do it otherwise, I'm ready to reconsider.

BTW the word kata in this thread should be understood as e.g seisan, naifanchi, chinto, nepai, bassai etc.
Posted by: cxt

Re: kata training - 06/01/05 05:15 PM

Look at it like this--you ever see a golfer work their swing with no ball?
Or a batter work their swing with no ball?
Or a boxer shadowbox?

Why do you think they do that?

In just the example you gave--partner practices is very valuable--but its also limited to the level of your partner--I can only go so fast and so hard with my bunkai--only as fast and hard as my partner can handle.
Which is great of your training buddy is as good or better than you--but what if they are not?

With the kata I can go as hard and fast as I like.

Plus you have the "size" problem--I have a guy in my gym that stands 6'5 his bunkai partner is about 5'9 the habit he has developed over the years is that all of his tech "reach up" so to speak.
The kata forces him to do the tech at specifc height--left to his own devices he is WAY off target for most folks.
Which could be very bad for him when faceing smaller guys.

I think kata helps from a retention standpoint--you don't always have a partner to practice with. Yet the techniques have to be practiced somehow.

Again, kata is only part of a whole raft of training methods--all of which are supposed to be used.
How much time do you spend on your strength and endurence training?

That should be enough to get things started.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: kata training - 06/01/05 05:57 PM

I have to say that the solitary kata training I do is IMO the most beneficial. Working on maintaining correct posture throughout the entire range of movements, keeping my mind aware and focused, searching for all those elusive sources of extra power, and really feeeeeling each millimetre of movement is to me a large part of what martial arts are about.

I often feel that the founders of each kata get up from their 'rest' when I start their movements and watch me, making me feel like I have a responsibility (or 'burden' as my tai chi teacher puts it) to be a productive link in the chain.

If MA were only about fighting I would have given up years ago, I feel that they are more about 'engaging' mind and body, with other people, and being a part of something that in one form or other has passed from generation to generation.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: kata training - 06/01/05 08:46 PM

Solitary practice of kata is extremely important to develop cleaner technique and better energy development and release.

The long sequence of linked techniques is far more valuable than the pieces themselves.

It is true that kata's application potential rests in the pieces of kata performance, but in the linked practice you can push yourself further, develop how energy links from one movement to the next, and craft yourself to release into those 'pieces' in actual execution against an opponent.

Of course there are arts that don't use kata, and they can be effective too.

It's just they aren't karate.

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 08:49 AM

cxt, in your post I found nothing that would convince me that the whole kata is better than training parts by themselves (alone as well as with partner)
(kinda like the golfer practices the swing, he doesn't walk through the whole court, I would think)

Bossman and Victor Smith, you have some points that I figure are valid, if I understand you correctly, you're more or less talking about the same thing?

I tried to analyse my own situation after reading your good points, and came to the conclusion that I just aint there yet:
in my taiji and qigong practice I "have time" to be aware of all the fine details, but with karate kata at full speed... well in short sequenses I get a lot more out of it than if I try to keep it together for a whole kata.

My conclusion is that there is value in it, but I have not reached such a level myself yet (possibly never will)

However, the responses have helped me see this thing clearer, so I humbly thank you all who contributed!

regs,
nenippal
Posted by: Kintama

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 10:31 AM

Quote:

but I have not reached such a level myself yet (possibly never will)

The journey is more rewarding than the destination.
Posted by: cxt

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 10:47 AM

Nep

You have failed to convienceing as well.

Your also miscasting my point--a golfers swing IS THE ENITRE ACTION---as is a kata when you do it all.
Its not my fault that the golf swing is shorter than the kata--they BOTH are being done to the extent of there duration.

So it does not really matter if you buy it or not, the comparsion is still valid--as it is for the batter and the boxer as well.

(plus that was one ONE of my points)

Like I have said before, a kata, at base, is just a series of individual techniques strung or "chained" togather for the purpose of practice--your SUPPOSED to pull indivudal techs and combos out.

The kata is just kinda a database of techniques, and practicing it as a "whole" is just a very effecient manner of remembering and working/practiceing them.
Not the ONLY method of doing so of course--your SUPPOSED to pull indiviual techniques out.

Kinda of an interesting question--which came first?

Did some guy back in the mists of time take a series of discrete techniques and mold them into a kata?

Or did the kata come first and folks adapt the techniques as needed?
Posted by: Kintama

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 11:16 AM

I know your chicken vs egg question was rhetorical, cxt ...but I like answering to rhetoric.

I think it is reasonable to assume that kata followed a similar evolution as language. how babies learn language gives a glimpse into how the brain has been gradually wired over eons. kata is a kind of sign language that speaks of how to protect and defeat against being attacked. Words form before sentences. that is fact.
The connection between kata and language however is pulled from my butt with no emperical evidence to back this opinion up. I studied a bit about linguistics. My kata-language link is a strong hunch, but I haven't heard any study or article on this.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 11:41 AM

personally I think that training the whole kata in karate should be done.

it gives physical and mental benefits, delivers the 'whole' message to the practioner and ensures that the student is training correctly, ie not changing things. it gives the correct form to people, it moulds them into the style they study and ensures that the traditions live on!

that all is good but to me the real interesting bit is what is contained 'within' the kata, and from my expierience that is usually a few short effective principles that work together and different kata have different principles/emphasis, of course there is cross over.

Obviously alot of kata is repeat work, for balance (train both sides) and im sure some is to make the form work logically, ie set up the next 'real' interesting bit.

I trained for years without realising this and became disallousioned with kata practise, now im keen as mustard as I have expierienced a little of the 'real' stuff kata teaches us, and for that I am very greatfull.

Of course taking 'the interesting bits' and training them as pair work, kihon - however you want is very usefull and sits alongside kata practise as essential.

kata practise is obligitory to classical karate, end of story.

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 12:23 PM

cxt, I think your point is valid if we're talking of prcticing a technique from the kata repetedly (i.e the golf analogy), but not if we're discussing the whole kata (which we are), but as you said, that's only what I think and I don't mind disagreeing on that point.

The latter part of your post, that the techniques are supposed to be pulled out, imho is exactly what I was saying.

But based on the other gentlemen's points, I see value in training the whole kata too, but that value is somewhat more on the "art" than on the "martial" side of things, way I see it..

As to shoshinkan's statement about kata being obligatory to classical okinawan karate (sorry if I don't remember the exact phrase you used), I agree!
Posted by: CVV

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 04:05 PM

I think kata, in its most primitive form is mimicing an event (a violant encounter / fight / hunting experience / ... ) that can retell the story, memorise the actions involved and gives the opportunity to analyse the action. In this form it is found in many cultures.
Over the thousands of years of reliving/analysing/stylisting/adding and subtracting, dance was created as well as karate kata. It seems that many of the RyuKyu court dance acts were in fact disguised moves of sword fighting (as stated by e.g. Uehara of Motobu Udon ti). The purpose of the entire kata is first of all to memorise it's movements in order not to forget it's application and to further analyse it eventually even upgrade it with new idea's. It should however not be taken lightly and change should be considered carefully. Over the thousands of years, kata have become a very complex synthesis. So when studying kata we are presented the summary and we have to rebuild the entire story, it's kinda reverse engeneering. Proper guidance is needed as wel as an open and investigating attitude. Breaking up in parts can be a tool to study but do not forget that the kata itself is already the summary. Summerising the summery will eventually leed to less, not more.
Posted by: Uechi dude

Re: kata training - 06/02/05 05:26 PM

Well.truth be known Kata is a way to connect with your movements, ie by using the same movements over and over you begin to unlock the hidden movements and meaning behind the form. This is the stage of evolving in your training.This usually takes a lifetime of discipline and skill. Hopefully this is what you need to hear.
Posted by: schanne

Re: kata training - 06/03/05 05:04 PM

When you do your kata's do you watch your self in a mirror at times. The reason I'm so pro kata is because every time I do a kata in front of the dojo mirror it always reminds me how far I need to go. After years of practice I have only scratched the surface. practice, practice, practice, practice and more practice, martial arts is all about perfection.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: kata training - 06/03/05 05:49 PM

Good point CVV. In classical kata (or chinese hsing/quan), the funcion preceded the form. The ritualized sets of movements, kata/hsing, were designed to retain lessons already learned. The opposite of how kata is taught now; as time went on the distance between form and application increased.

From an application (oyo jutsu) perspective, practicing individual movements may be valuable, coinciding with the two man training, and to help one explore applications (bunkai). I would say that the greatest benefits of practicing the entire kata are the holistic and mental ones. There lies the benefit of kata training after one has thoroughly engaged in the training of the kata's application with a partner. The perfection of motion, the focused mental attributes developed (zanshin, mushin, etc), the breath control, the therapeutic effect on the body, and the development of energy; invaluble!
Posted by: Saji

Re: kata training - 06/04/05 05:07 PM

Sensei was talking about the importance of visualization last week. I was asking for clarification on the concepts of 'zanshin' and 'mushin' and he said kata practice was essential to the development of both. Both are needed for sparring. He said "mushin is not just a product of Zen meditation but also a product of repetitive kata practice. This is why Karate is referred to as "moving Zen". He referred me to a great book of that title.

I know that kata practice has helped my focus, technique, strength, and sparring. I find it easy to spar and kumite; my greater challenge is the when I grind kata on my own. (BTW, in that book "Moving Zen" the author at one point was required to practice one high level kata outside 20 times before the teacher even allowed him in the dojo. yikes) All my instructors have had extensive sparring and tournament experience and they find kata to be as challenging, just in a different way. Kata is for developing the mind as well as the body and technique.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: kata training - 06/15/05 08:50 AM

Just wanted to reignite this thread as it is of interest to me,

to add a little to it my thoughts are that 'karate' as a whole was developed from many influences and expieriences, without getting to historical (because im not that knowledgeable!) in my mind the individual kata represent specific masters/traditions concepts and techniques.

I have researched that not so long ago a practioner would learn a few kata over a period of time rather than many kata, my belief is that this was done to allow the depth of the kata to be explored and trained/understood by many repitions of the kata and pair work.

styles in my mind are individual masters/traditions concepts, but its the components within those styles that are of most use and different kata emphasise different components.

This is why we see superb practioners of all styles, they know 'thier' arts principles form their kata training.

kata to me is a whole bunch of principles delivered in a very neat package that needs unravling, most never begin to unravel and miss a whole lot of things that is the true karate journey IMO.

Im loving training in sanchin and naihanchi shodan as my current personal kata, of course I respect my instructors teachings in the dojo and also train other kata as he decides.