Line work

Posted by: SANCHIN31

Line work - 05/30/05 04:22 AM

How many of you practice line work? Seems like alot of schools have abandoned it,but there are alot of benefits in line work.
Concentration (focus)
Muscle control
Fitness
Fluid motion
Balance

Line work is not all that is needed,but it needs to be repeatedly drilled to develop good form.Good form leads to good technique which leads to good applications for your karate.
My instructor was a firm believer in line work. I remember going back and forth in several different places,the park,cemetary,the school track,and his driveway.Shiko-dachi on 45 angles for looong stretches!!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 06:36 AM

Personally I see the only real benefit of line work is to teach multiple practioners at the same time, ie to keep an eye on them all at once.

whereever possible I pefer to do 'partner' work (in lines maybee), if teaching line work as basics practise then one of the most important aspects IMO is to train to broken counting/rythum, and to work combinations a sopposed to single techniques in isolation to much.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 12:32 PM

Line work is good to teach a student how to "walk."
Posted by: Prometej

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 01:46 PM

In karate schools i`ve been, line work was 90% of the classes, i think it`s important for technique but sparring should make at least the same amount (50/50)
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 05:19 PM

My instructor is very fond of line work as well. At the beginning levels, we do line work all the time. Even high belts do line work if they join the beginners classes. Moving back and forth in a line and working on proper mechanics is great training.

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 07:04 PM

I assure you it teaches much more than how to walk,it teaches all the things I mentioned. They are good for learning the basics and good form,both are very important.It's important to perfect your form,do not bob,do not hunch,watch your angles,foot placement,balance,etc..Advanced students shoud already have this down,but it doesn't hurt to go over it once in a while.
Now,doesn't that sound like more than walking?

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 07:12 PM

Learning the proper timing of how to do something in motion is also part of that Sanchin. It is something that even advanced students should do once in a while. Even high ranking black belts should do line work now and then, especially in front of beginners.

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 07:38 PM

In our class we have four 8th kyu's.When we do line work,I do it with them,unless there are no other blackbelts to examine and correct their form.

Re: Line work - 05/30/05 11:51 PM

When I attend a begginers class (white and yellow belts), which I do quite often, I will be doing line work with beginner students on either side of me. It really does help when beginners can see someone doing it right.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Line work - 05/31/05 12:50 AM

Quote:

I assure you it teaches much more than how to walk,it teaches all the things I mentioned. They are good for learning the basics and good form,both are very important.It's important to perfect your form,do not bob,do not hunch,watch your angles,foot placement,balance,etc..Advanced students shoud already have this down,but it doesn't hurt to go over it once in a while.
Now,doesn't that sound like more than walking?

In karate walking is all these things you describe and more. One of the keys to karate is moving with your center/hara, which is how what may eastern cultures move naturally. Unforutanely for most gaijin we tend to fall over our feet. In my opinion learning to "walk" is the most important thing you learn in line drills. Without it you will never be able to genereate power properly and then, "all your 52 hand blocks are useless," so to speak.
Posted by: kiba

Re: Line work - 05/31/05 05:22 PM

I think line work is great. Should be used more.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Line work - 05/31/05 08:08 PM

Can't say that I do much line work now, but it does have value for the beginners for all the reasons Sanchin31 mentioned.

Keeping the head level while moving is very important to keep from telegraphing.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Line work - 06/01/05 11:44 AM

Quote:

When I attend a begginers class (white and yellow belts), which I do quite often, I will be doing line work with beginner students on either side of me. It really does help when beginners can see someone doing it right.

That's assuming that you're doing it right!

Re: Line work - 06/02/05 04:21 AM

Yes John, that is making something of an assumption, but I also assume that I could screw up in line work, so I take my time at first and make sure I'm doing it properly. That's also why I attend so many beginners classes, it gives me a chance to "inspect the foundation" and make sure there are no major cracks.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Line work - 06/03/05 05:12 PM

Wow, do we think a like. Line drills were an every day part of my Korean training but when I started in Goju and our mixed MA school it was really wierd that they never did line drills. I did try to encorporate it to our school out of fustration but Shihan never really liked it. When he isn't there we usually do line drills and the students love the work out. Yes, line drills are important.