kata videos?

Posted by: gary_ataris

kata videos? - 05/27/05 06:45 AM

hey
i used to study shotokan karate (i was a brown belt when i switched martial arts... a pretty dumb thing to do, so close to black) but i stopped and began kickboxing and thai boxing.
recently ive been trying to do some of my katas as im thinking of starting again... and i cant remember hardly any of them, i was wondering if anyone new any websites with kata videos on, as to refresh my memory

thanks
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: kata videos? - 05/27/05 07:31 AM

a fellow Brit !

I came back to karate as well mate and some good advice is to focus on one or two of the basic forms, get back into a good club and go from there.

Theres nothing wrong with having a begineers mind, and remember its the quality and depth of understanding/application that counts not the number of kata you do.
Posted by: charlie

Re: kata videos? - 05/27/05 07:46 AM

Gary, I am another Brit!!

check out
www.traditionalshotokankarate.co.uk
(I think I have spelt that right) its got some good kata videos on it. cheers mate- any way I can help you just e-mail, I love a bit of kata.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: kata videos? - 05/27/05 07:54 AM

www.karate-shotokan-kata.com
Posted by: gary_ataris

Re: kata videos? - 05/27/05 11:03 AM

thanks for the help il keep u posted about it

the videos bring back memories.. haha... especialy the bassai dai one, guna try and re learn it tonight.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: kata videos? - 05/27/05 11:23 AM

gary, you might also look around your area to see if there are instructors in other traditional Okinawan Karate. My experience has been that the katas aren't exactly the same, but so similar that you would be able to make the adjustments without much problem, and you might even be able to finish your black belt in a slightly different style fairly quickly.
Posted by: jasonh

Re: kata videos? - 05/28/05 12:00 PM

In the search for the ever elusive half-decent kata videos I've found three good sets. One is here: http://www.ataru-karate.co.uk/kata.htm. The other two are listed under 'Karate' on the links page at www.jasonholdcroft.co.uk to save me posting them here.