Ashi barai (foot sweep)

Posted by: hedkikr

Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 02:35 AM

One of my least proficient techniques, I must admit. I'd like some feed-back...

(Assume a L-side forward stance for ease of description)

1) I initially learned this technique: R-leg comes forward & catches opponents forward leg in a "fig. 9" movement. The sole of the foot contacts just behind the outer ankle & pulls opponent foot forward.

2) I was taught this technique in Austria: R-leg comes forward similar to a mawashi-geri (round kick) but connects just above opponents Achilles tendon w/ your instep. Very powerful.

3) Brits like this one: R-leg comes forward skimming the floor w/ the outside (knife) edge of the foot in an angular attack (R to L) to opponents lead ankle connecting w/ the sole of the foot.

I know written descriptions lack a great deal but are there any suggestions to improve foot sweeps?

Thanks

BTW: I'm aware of lead hand feint to obscure or disorient opponent.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 03:05 AM

Hedkikr,

Number 1, I have not dealt with.

I was taught something similar to your #2 as a basic of our style of karate. The number 3 is from judo, in my experience, but we also use this in our style of karate but less so that your # 2.

For number 2, any kick of your opponent that you can block to the side, you can kick out in this way (noting that video of Ashihara as an example). Or, if you can take an angle to any gross body movement of your opponent where you are slightly behind him. In these two cases you can cut the leg from behihd to floor your opponent. In both cases, however, you need to practice grabbing your opponent's shoulder on the side that you are going to kick out. You have to feel the timing for his balance shift and pull downward just after the dislogding kick you give him.

You can also do a front disloding kick, but in every situation that I have done this in and had it work, the body weight of your oppoenent has to be on the leg that you are taking out. Otherwise, he shifts is balance back and recovers. Thus, in my opinion, it is necessary for you to maintain contact with, and pull down on, the side of the opponent that you are seeking to unbalance with these techniques; or make sure that he is punching you and his weight is on the leg you are trying to take out.

For number 3, basic training in kuzushi might help. An example, while opponents are facing each other and parallel while skipping in one direction sort of a heel to heel (similar to musubadachi) movement. You are moving the same way and in the same time as your opponent and then pulling on the arm that is on the same side that you are going to sweep. Pulling on the underside of your opponent's elbow and sweeping the same side foot. When pulling on the elbow, you have to pull down and in.

Actual application for karate that I have seen is to block and grab the striking arm of your opponent and pull so that the his forward momentum is forced on a balancing lead leg. Now sweep the leg. Usually, you will be at a slight angle to your opponent when you do this.

I don't know if this helps at all. I think you have more experience than myself, but thought I would offer.

-B
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 03:20 AM

I do the foot sweep from Sanseru kata with two handed grab using the fig. 9. It can be used when in close or moving forward much like butterfly described in his last paragraph.

p.s. It sure does taake alot of words to describe a little movement.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 07:15 AM

The most effective foot sweep is in the timing. attempting to sweep when they have all/most of their weight on that foot ain't gonna work. just as someone is stepping in (in a SD attack it would probably be their first attack, right?) and their weight has not settled into the leg...thats when you sweep. I guess I've been taught the 'English' way (never knew it was thought of as that) hit low, your foot shaped like in a side kick and 'save' your hip for a followup.
For close-in fighting, the figure nine as decribed.

The sweep's goal is to knock off balance, not bring to the ground.

Since it's aim is not neccessarily to do damage... for competitions that allow it, Ashi barai is one of those fairly safe and very effective techniques that are transferable directly to SD without modification.

hedkikr & all ... I might have 'old' ways of thinking about this, any hints for bringing me uptodate?
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 07:59 AM

What you describe are 3 distinct techniques...but I think generally what is missing if you are finding difficulty applying it, is a combo of timing and off-balancing.

#1 is deashi harai/ashi barai (forward foot sweep), as in like a broom. How Kintama describes it is correct. You must sweep the foot *just* as the foot is being planted. If uke has already put his weight on the foot then you have to change the technique to something else. In any case, drawing the person to the rear corner away from you will force uke to transfer weight to his rear foot, thereby allowing you to take the technique.

#2 is actually kouchi gari (small inner reap). Your foot forms a sickle shape and reaps the foot (much like cutting grass or wheat). Again, the off-balance is the key. But this time, you need to draw uke's balance such that his weight is planted on the foot you are reaping.

#3 is actually kosoto gake (small outer hook). Your foot acts like a hook and hooks uke's foot with the knife edge. Again, you must draw uke's weight onto the foot and off-balance him like steering a semi.

The technical differences are minor, but big enough to warrant each technique being called differently. Ed Glasheen does judo. Perhaps he can confirm/refute my descriptions.

Applying this in a karate context, I believe that where your hands "chamber" is generally the direction you would be moving uke to.
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 08:25 AM

Quote:

3) Brits like this one: R-leg comes forward skimming the floor w/ the outside (knife) edge of the foot in an angular attack (R to L) to opponents lead ankle connecting w/ the sole of the foot.

This is very true> Nothing more us Brits enjoy more than a good old fashioned ashi barai!

As far as improving it goes try using #2 directly after feinting a Right (skip) mawashi geri. Some times works for me!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 11:57 AM

Kintama,

You are right. I missstated the judo type sweep when the foot should just be coming into contact with the ground.

The other type of take down (when cutting the leg near the achilles) is somehting basic to the style of karate I practice. However, you are right in this case....it wouldn't necessarily be called a sweep. We call this a cutting technique and ultimatley the best time to do it is when you are just putting the weight on it, but if the opponent has planted his weight, fine it will work just the same. It works very well and will knock the opponent down....if you have the angle and the timing.

I stand corrected.

-B
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 01:17 PM

AK has a technique similar to the 'cutting' kick that Butterfly refers to, but it is done with the back part of your leg (called a 'buckle' in AK).

It is a similar motion to a step-behind (rear leg crosses behind the front leg, then the front leg shoots out) hook kick, only you are aiming to hit the front of the opponent's knee with the top of your calf/back of your knee.
Your foot is on the ground when doing this, however. It is not a kick per se, but the motion is similar.

As your foot goes past the opponent's leg (at a 45 degree angle), you straighten your leg into the opponent's knee, pushing his leg out. At this point it is fairly easy to turn towards the opponent, and use some hand techniques to finish the unbalance (if he hasn't already fallen over).
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 01:41 PM

Matt, I'm rather fond of AKK buckles. I use them against the back of the knee as well, turning it into a throw. One of the most obvious places to use a buckle is in techniques like five swords or triggered salute, where your front leg is often up against the attackers front leg, and the primary major counter hit is the heel palm to the face.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 02:34 PM

I have been working those into my sparring lately. I find the buckles somewhat safer than conventional front sweeps, since I can stay sideways throughout the movement. I can even lean back away from the retaliatory strikes from the opponent, though I try not to, as that compromises the follow through.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/25/05 03:11 PM

Well, if you find yourself that close to an opponent, if you need to evade a counter, perhaps you could step back into a twist stance, sweeping with the foot in motion.
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/26/05 03:33 AM

With reference to the buckle:

I'm completely unfamiliar with this technique!

I think I've got the idea, but can anyone point me in the direction of some pictures, so that I'm sure?

Thanks
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/26/05 04:27 AM

back in my shukokai days I was rather fond of sweeping.

However I always used my front leg against their front leg, inside (sneaky and causes them to go 'dead' weight) or outside (full takedown). this was training geared towards semi contact of course.

I have to admit that I now dont train for sport therefore my sweeps are far more aggresive stomps or 'cutting' kicks to legs. i think the practical side of many sweeps is questionable in a self defense situation in general.
Posted by: shotokan

Re: Ashi barai (foot sweep) - 05/26/05 06:22 AM

Haha, as a "Brit", I can certainly confirm a good 3.) I dont often use as a full take down though, just a tap to unnerve balance stepping through with a strong gyaku zuki. And theres no reason why it has to be from the "rear" leg...