Shito Ryu Kata

Posted by: Victor Smith

Shito Ryu Kata - 05/14/05 11:23 AM

For those who like to see a very wide range of Okinawan kata this link is valuable.

You have access to almost the entire range of Shito-ryu kata.

Enjoy,

http://www.shitokai.com/movies/unsu.php
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/16/05 08:48 AM

A fantastic site indeed!

Thanks for the link victor.
Posted by: Sanchin

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/16/05 01:22 PM

this is the exact version of Sanchin I currently practice, http://www.shitokai.com/movies/sanchin.php

Such a pretty kata, I actually didnt realize it was shito ryu version, I learned it sort of impromptu lesson when I visited a dojo in nashville.

My bad, its not.. I have a different thrust at the start of the kata like the uechi ryu version, and ending salutation is missing, but the "figure four" arm position, and "wing block" movements are.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/17/05 12:18 AM

Great link thanks a lot! I love okinawan kata.

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/17/05 11:04 PM

FYI, this version of Shito Ruy is from the older brother Mabuni Kanei group.

His father was a student of Hiagonna K, at the urging of his friend Miyagi C., and later incorporated Miyagi's Goju into the Shito Ryu system.

In fact the first book he wrote in 1933 was on Sanchin (with drawings). It has been translated into English by Mario Mckena.

Another task for this weekend, I'll try and compare this Sanchin with the original written description.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/18/05 02:38 AM

Can't wait Victor!
Posted by: CVV

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/18/05 04:31 AM

I am very interested too Victor Smith.

It's about the same version we do, some slight variation in the turning (hand goes to hikite directly after the punch and then under the other elbow to initiate uchi uke in the turn)and just before the thrusting the finger tip strikes in the side(three chudan tsuki in stead of 2). Some other variations are also sometimes in the number of steps (3 - 1 - 1 - 2)
(5 - 3 - 1 - 2) depending on the amount of available space but 'standard/ format for JKF Goju kai is 3 - 1 - 1 - 2.

Do you have a title and isbn for the Mckena translation ?
Wasn't there also a French translation ? Anyone know the title/author and isbn of that book ?
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/18/05 07:10 AM

I only found the book in electronic form (PDF)...sorry no isbn.

I also found info on the non-translated version of all three of Mabuni's books:
(about midway down the page)
http://museum.hikari.us/books/index30.html

That Hawaii museum site is great for finding more info on MA books...I'm sure you could e-mail them with questions.

hope that helps.
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/18/05 07:30 AM

A quick word of warning.

I attempted to purchase this directly from Mr. McKennas site a few years ago as a PDF through my PayPal account.

The account was debited but I didn't receive the file, Or any replies to the e mails I sent to Mr. McKenna.

I believe you can buy a copy through amazon?
Posted by: mikelw

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/20/05 03:52 AM

Most of these are done exactly the way I was taught in the hayashi ha style of shito ryu.

Re: Shito Ryu Kata - 05/20/05 08:36 PM

Just completed comparing Mabuni's 1933 text on Sanchin to the one discussed previously on the Shito Ryu site.

Very much the same kata, the only real difference is there is a second mawashi-uke/tora-guchi in the clip.

But Sanchin was never really a defined, only 'x' number of moves kata. It always had the ability to use multiple repetitions of techniques in practice, sometimes moving completely down the floor for one section.

The goal wasn't to do sanchin in proscribed movement, it was to study Sanchin.

So I would rate the Shito-ryu sanchin clip almost a direct transmission, or a direct transmission of the form.