Krav Maga as One Component & Milwaukee Reference?

Posted by: Halowords

Krav Maga as One Component & Milwaukee Reference? - 11/17/08 02:41 PM

Two questions. I am currently taking Judo and plan on eventually incorporating Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for a nice balance between stand-up/throws and ground/submissions. I am wondering how well that kind of base-training would gel with Krav Maga? My sole interest in Krav Maga is mainly for the self-defense mindset as well as anything they might add to my skill set from Judo/BJJ for a real life application in case I ever get attacked, particularly with a weapon.

Second question, does anybody have any input on Krav Maga-Milwaukee? I just want to know if they are a quality and reputable school or not. I am in the Fox Valley of Wisconsin, and Milwaukee appears to be the closest KM school, as well as the only one where KM is the main emphasis.

-Cheers
Posted by: Ames

Re: Krav Maga as One Component & Milwaukee Reference? - 11/24/08 03:47 PM

I'm no expert in Krav Maga (I only did one weekend seminar about five years ago), but I'd say that Judo and BJJ would work great with Krav. As a matter of fact, Judo and BJJ are great additions to anything!

A good friend of mind has been taking 'Commando Krav Maga' for sometime now, and he is a judo BB and studies BJJ. He seems to think they fit together well. I know Moni Aizak (s.p.) the creator of CKM helped train Carlos Newton for groundfighting, and Aizak has a dan rank in Judo. So, I think you would have a leg up on most.

As for Krav Milwakee? I can't help you there. You're best bet is to go check it out and ask them to give you a week trial. I think you need at LEAST that before you make anykind of commitment.

--Chris