Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM

Posted by: MyNameIsMatt

Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 07/08/08 03:00 PM

Hey everybody, what's up? I'd like to say thanks for the board and all its info and whatnot. This is my first post. Before I ask any questions, let me explain my situation. This might be a long post.

I am already into KM, i'm sold. I like the idea/principle of it. I would like to benefit from the boards' collective knowledge of the subject. However, I want to know if it will match my needs/expectations.

I am 23 years old, healthy, and 20 or so pounds overweight. I don't know what the actual standards are so maybe i'm off a little. I'm not weak but i'm no bodybuilder either. Pretty average guy. I have no SD experience, and have only seriously punched two people in my life, and probably did it wrong/looked like Ed Norton in the beginning of Fight Club. I own a very small business that looks more well paid than it really is, and sometimes I carry healthy amounts of cash. Due to the nature of my business I have to dress like I have money, you know, a nice shirt, clean expensive shoes. Not so much, but it really contrasts with the average guys flipflops and frayed pants/shorts. I live in a really, really messed up city where the majority of robberies end in death of the victims. I mean, it's insanely common and almost everyone I know has a story. The robbers, assaulters(?), whatever, are usually drug addicted teens/children with no respect for life. I'm smart enough to know the best way to avoid anything is to avoid potentially dangerous situations like walking at night and stuff like that, but at the same time things have a way of popping off at any moment here. Having said that, I have absolutely no problem handing over my cell or cheap watch but I want to be ready to defend my wife, and myself if my watch and pocket money aren't enough. I am not looking to be Rambo, or gain a million pounds of muscle, only learn practical techniques I can use(if necessary) and maybe lose a pound or two to make my wife happy. Where I live it's like that, the confrontation doesn't always end with them walking away from you with your watch. It's very common for one guy to hold a gun to the victim while his friends have fun with the victim's wife, or worse. What I mean to say is, there's no TV show ending. I don't want to learn how to fight like in the movies, I want to learn seriously how to defend my life. I don't want to be Steven Seagull. I apologize is my post is overly long. Here are my questions.

1. Is KM what i'm looking for?
2. Is it possible for me to reach the level of all those guys in the videos on youtube? If it takes two or three years, that's ok for me, maybe even more fun.
3. Is it worth my time and money? Studying would be a luxury for me.
4. Are there some signs I should look for to know if i'm in a "McDojo"?
5. How can I know the difference between the different types of KM? Someone commented about this in another thread but I didn't get it.

I know the only way to really know if it's cool or not is to start studying, but i'd like to know a little more about what I might be getting into. Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Matt
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 07/08/08 04:32 PM

Welcome!

1) Krav Maga would address all of the issues you mentioned. So it would be what you're looking for.

2) Everyone learns differently. I am not sure who you're referring to on youtube. Krav maga was developed for the IDF, it's designed to be learned quickly.

3) It's worth the money if you're at a good school, learning from a knowledgable Instructor, and the Monthly fee's are with in your budget. Fee's can range from $85.00 -$150.00 per Month depending on the School.

4) Watch out for long contracts, if you sign a Contract make sure you read it and understand it completly.

5) Ask your Instructor who they are assocciated with. The big ones are: IKMA, KMWW, IKMF, Commando Krav, etc. I only have first hand knowledge of IKMA, and KMWW.

You should be able to take at least one free trial class. Take the class and ask your Instructor these same questions.

Good Luck!
Posted by: MyNameIsMatt

Re: Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 07/08/08 05:31 PM

Wow thanks a lot! I was referring to a few videos I had seen on Youtube displaying some fast and flashy disarming techniques and similiar things. If I may, I'd like to ask another question. Does it matter what type of Krav Maga I study? I've read on other threads differing opinions about different types/styles/schools. I want to learn the real deal, not some civilian thing. Thanks again, I appreciate the info. I'll look out for those contracts.
Posted by: mdsj

Re: Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 08/05/08 06:55 PM

The best thing to do is go to www.kravmaga.com and find a licensed school in your area. I take krav maga and love it. I have also done BJJ and Muay Thai, but have no interest in fighting MMA. Also you have to learn civilian krav maga. Commando krav is for military only and force krav is for law enforcement only. However, civilian is the "real thing". The major differences is that commando krav teaches combat techniques with rifles, etc. while the law enforcement program deals with their special situations like when/if to open fire, etc., etc. Everything else is the same. You will learn disarm techniques, joint breaks, striking, etc. Hope that helps.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 08/05/08 11:50 PM

Not sure why you think BJJ or MT study means you are training for MMA fights. Also, Krav incorporates a lot of MT techniques also. And forget Commando Krav. CKM is not the only one for "just" military (IKMA/IKMF).
Posted by: mdsj

Re: Complete Noob, Intelligent questions about KM - 08/06/08 11:49 AM

Never said it was just for training MMA. However, in the classes for BJJ and Muay Thai they base most of the teachings on using the techniques in a competition setting rather than a self defense setting. I love both muay thai and BJJ, its just that I have no interest in focusing on winning competitions or going 5 rounds with someone. I just need to know how to immobilize someone quickly and get out.