Simular moves

Posted by: GOVINDA

Simular moves - 05/04/08 04:42 PM

hi , doing ckm at minute, been training a few months and have noticed a lot of wing chun moves, i am not surprised because the wing chun i was taught was reality based before its time, the guy teaching was a guy called Richard Walker and i have to say i havnt been taught like it since, is he still teaching ? . last time i heard was he is teaching in belfast somewhere!
Posted by: Arentele

Re: Simular moves - 06/03/08 10:42 AM

Sometimes I notice that KM "seems" like it has the most effective moves taken out of different practices and focuses on them. I also think it depends on the instructor, I have an instructor who is younger then me ( I'm 24 ) but he has a black belt in TKD so he incorporates a few of the TKD techniques into our KM class
Posted by: Eurokrav

Re: Simular moves - 07/08/08 02:18 PM

I also allow my students to use the techniques they alreay know from other systems or martial arts. Why not? Some guy that has been training Muay Thai for 20 years, let him kich the way he wants...
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Simular moves - 07/08/08 04:35 PM

That's all well and fine as long as it doesn't confuse your other students. You should at least get them to try to do it the way your teaching it.
Posted by: Eurokrav

Re: Simular moves - 07/10/08 04:01 AM

Yep Dedicated1, that's the idea :-)
Posted by: lucastake

Re: Simular moves - 04/20/11 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: GOVINDA
hi , doing ckm at minute, been training a few months and have noticed a lot of wing chun moves, i am not surprised because the wing chun i was taught was reality based before its time, the guy teaching was a guy called Richard Walker and i have to say i havnt been taught like it since, is he still teaching ? . last time i heard was he is teaching in belfast somewhere!

Yea man he teaches just outside of Belfast now! In Carryduff!
Posted by: eagleyed

Re: Simular moves - 06/12/11 02:04 PM

I also allow my students to use the techniques they alreay know from other systems or martial arts. Why not? Some guy that has been training Muay Thai for 20 years, let him kich the way he wants...

I had been doing Kickboxing for quite a while, twice a week (sometimes more) and found i had time on my hands to put in some extra training. I found myself taking up karate, finding that it enhanced my kicking power, flexibility ect. Sometimes "emptying your cup" just dosn't make sense. Thankfully my instructor encourages me to share what i know already and if it needs tweaking for my benefit then he is happy to help.
Posted by: Victoria

Re: Simular moves - 11/20/18 10:46 AM

I've been practicing Aikido for 6 years now and want to learn KM as I've heard is the most effective in real life, I mean for real fights.

In this article https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/10/15/self-defence-classes-with-a-martial-arts-instructor/ I've read about the importance of individual classes. Should I start with them right away?