Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn?

Posted by: TitforTat

Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/23/08 01:27 AM

Curious if anyone has taken classes with him and if he is a legitimate instructor. I'm considering taking it when I come home for the Summer.

http://www.israelikrav.com/

That's the website. David and Abel Kahn are the heads. There are other instructors listed under the profiles section (not all teach at the NJ location on a regular basis, but I think some of the bigger names guest teach at times).

I'm not looking for soccer-mom-bored-of-pilates McDojo Krav Maga. I want as close to the real thing as I can get without going to Israel. Something I can use to realistically defend myself in the real world.

If anyone has first hand experience with Dave or this location in Hamilton NJ, I'd appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks!
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/23/08 08:30 AM

I train with David and Abel Kahn, they are exceptional Instructors. They both travel to Israel up to six times a year, so it is the closest you can come with out going there yourself. Read their profile page at their website for more info.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/23/08 11:58 AM

I haven't trained with David but I have spoken to him and having been thinking of getting certified under IKMA...

A little tired of the BS in KMWW politics and trying to open a school but got to compete with other licensees that might want the area and that gives them first dibs..
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/23/08 02:07 PM

What size exclusive area do they give you as a licensed KMWW facility?

Curious because we have rival Haganah schools in my town that are pretty close.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/24/08 01:31 AM

well, that is a darn good question...

I was told a 5 mile radius. But that didn't seem to be true, because KMWW told me the licensee that is 42 miles away from me has "first right of refusal". And since this instructor doesn't like me he claimed this area. Which i know he has no means of coming that far down. So, it seems the 5 mile radius is bogus...

If I seeem bitter, well I am..I love Krav the system, but the buisness side, SUCKS...And if you aren't "in" or part of the good ole boy system you are screwed.

So, I gave them a massive list of other areas in VA and no word back...hhmmmm So, that is what led me to IKMA...

The person at KMWW that handles licensing told me the VP would assist me, but no word..So, I don't know what is up...

I think it is total Bullchit that a licensee gets first dibs...
Posted by: rossiri

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 02/24/08 09:40 PM

I train with David several times a week. He is the real deal. I participated in a training program with the grandmaster of the IKMA, Haim Gidon a few months ago at David's school. The link to Israel is strong in this organization.
Posted by: KMX

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 03/04/08 11:08 PM

Dedicated,
when do you train with David and Abel?
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 03/04/08 11:56 PM

I try to make it down every Saturday.
Posted by: Plantman

Re: Krav Maga NJ w/ David Kahn? - 03/23/08 06:35 PM

I train in Miami with Davids original instructor, Rick Blitstein. I have had the opportunity to train with David as well and can tell you he us the real deal. He is the IKMA lead representative in the US.

That he travels to Israel to continue his training under GM Gidon is an absolute plus which cannot be overstated.