F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it?

Posted by: hawk1278

F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 11/25/07 02:07 AM

A place not far from my house teaches F.I.G.H.T.

I looked around on the web for information about F.I.G.H.T. and found the following website http://www.fight2survive.com/index.php

Is anyone familiar with F.I.G.H.T. or has anyone done any F.I.G.H.T. training or been to a seminar? Any information that anyone might have would be great or if anyone knows of any other sites that talk about F.I.G.H.T.

Thanks
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 12/19/07 07:06 PM

Have taken it for while after about a year of Krav Maga. With a good instructor, you can learn alot with this system. It's a good system and relatively easy to learn. IMO, it is an expansion of KM in a way. It is more structured than Krav. In some ways it is good and in other ways that's not so good. I think the knife defenses in FIGHT are better than the defenses in Krav. The DVD series is also a helpful tool that can supplement your training. Expect to get a lot of bruises during training and have fun. see if they will let you take a class or two to see how you like it.
Fight is based mostly on gross motor skills. Is that the only thing that this place teaches? What else has the instructor taught?
Posted by: GIMark

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 01/26/08 01:09 AM

I do not understand why people like this kind of stuff so much. All these new Russian and Isreali arts are this way it seems. I have been to a few Krav Maga and a few other of the new style Systema schools. I have bought books and a whole lot of other stuff and asked many questions. Anyone can become a F.I.G.H.T. certified teacher in a few hours, just pay the money take a seminar and you can teach. What they are doing is simple one step sparring drills. Am I the only one that sees it this way? If you want to learn a Russian art check out Sambo or Kolo, a few of the good arts from that country.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 01/26/08 08:19 AM

Yes, you are the only one that see's them that way.
Posted by: irishScott

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 01/26/08 05:24 PM

Even the best MAs are crap if they're not taught correctly.

As for one-step drills, depends on the technique. I'd say a knife block combined with a punch is 2 steps. If those steps are simultaneous, then it's simply more efficient.

Even looking at the "steps" in a more general view, I take Krav, and I'm not even level 2 yet. That said, my instructor focuses a lot on combining techniques. ie: forward roll + defense lying down, defense lying on the side, how to fall correctly if the roll doesn't work, etc.

These end up being 3-5 "steps", even when using the most general definition of "step".
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 02/01/08 04:27 PM

Quote:

Anyone can become a F.I.G.H.T. certified teacher in a few hours,

Actually, it takes about a week, $2700 and the purchase of a DVD set.

Just kidding (kind of). I am not sure of the actual graduation rate of the instructor course.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 02/11/08 01:15 PM

Quote:

I do not understand why people like this kind of stuff so much.

I am sure there are many people who feel the same about just about any fighting style.
Posted by: sfq88

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 03/03/08 02:10 PM

I'm also interested in FIGHT. I just moved to South Florida and the founder, Mike Kanarek's school is not too far from where I live, but his location may be a bit far for me to get there a few times a week (if gas weren't $3.50/gallon, it may be a different story, but 35 miles each way through Miami traffic 2-3x/week and I'm broke...) and there is another instructor who's only about 10 miles away. I'm thinking about going to a couple of classes a week from the guy who has a martial arts studio nearby (and from his website, a pretty deep MA background with multiple styles over a few decades) and supplementing it with private lessons and seminars from the founder when time permits.

I was recommended by my old teacher in London to Kanarek's style, and I trust my teacher there who said that Mike and his system is the real deal. This is not a cut on any other KM or Israeli based system, but my instructor in London's critique of a lot of KM was that people were being certified as instructors with little to no MA experience other than the weeklong instructor certification classes.

Does anyone know about the system in general, what training is required for instructors and any other helpful hints anyone has?

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be a ton of KM type of classes in South Miami (Coconut Grove) where I'm living. There are options in Southern FL, but as anyone knows who lives here, a 30 mile drive at rush hour could easily be a 1.5 hr drive, so I'm trying to be practical on how often I'd be able to get to clubs in North Miami or above.

Thanks for any help.
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: F.I.G.H.T., anyone tried it? - 03/12/08 11:21 AM

Quote:

I'm also interested in FIGHT. I just moved to South Florida and the founder, Mike Kanarek's school is not too far from where I live, but his location may be a bit far for me to get there a few times a week (if gas weren't $3.50/gallon, it may be a different story, but 35 miles each way through Miami traffic 2-3x/week and I'm broke...) and there is another instructor who's only about 10 miles away. I'm thinking about going to a couple of classes a week from the guy who has a martial arts studio nearby (and from his website, a pretty deep MA background with multiple styles over a few decades) and supplementing it with private lessons and seminars from the founder when time permits.

I was recommended by my old teacher in London to Kanarek's style, and I trust my teacher there who said that Mike and his system is the real deal. This is not a cut on any other KM or Israeli based system, but my instructor in London's critique of a lot of KM was that people were being certified as instructors with little to no MA experience other than the weeklong instructor certification classes.

Does anyone know about the system in general, what training is required for instructors and any other helpful hints anyone has?

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be a ton of KM type of classes in South Miami (Coconut Grove) where I'm living. There are options in Southern FL, but as anyone knows who lives here, a 30 mile drive at rush hour could easily be a 1.5 hr drive, so I'm trying to be practical on how often I'd be able to get to clubs in North Miami or above.

Thanks for any help.

in florida? Check out One Dragon Martial Arts. You'll be happy you did.