Krav Maga Maryland

Posted by: hawk1278

Krav Maga Maryland - 10/01/07 12:38 PM

I am interested in trying out Krav Maga. I live around the Columbia, MD/ Ft. Meade area and there is a place around here called Krav Maga Maryland. I saw that it was also listed in one of the stickied posts at the top of the forum. I went over there last year and talked to one of the instructors but I am curious if anyone else knows anything about this place, the quality of the material they teach, and the quality of the instructors. I just dont want to waste my time and money on BS. Thanks all!

Here is the website: http://www.kravmd.com/content/view/61/217/
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 10/01/07 03:32 PM

I know one of the instructor there and they are top notch. You will not be disappointed. :-)

Enjoy!
Posted by: lev

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/05/07 09:10 PM

I am going to take krav maga for a month during my school break and try to get the most out of it that I can. Does anyone know what they would teach? I am 2nd degree black belt and want to get reality training experience and need to know what I can get out of 1 month. I live near this columbia facility. Thanks!
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/05/07 11:13 PM

Most likely it will be chokes, how to punch, kick, etc.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/05/07 11:42 PM

do you know if they teach basic boxing techniques? i saw a youtube video of the maryland krav maga. It was a level 2 or 3 class but they were doing boxing with focus mitts. Is any of this in level 1?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/06/07 02:14 AM

From what I've seen on youtube and other sources (and I'm not a KM expert) the boxing techniques are similar to kickboxing, jabs, hooks, uppercuts and the such. depending what MA you have a black belt in you will probably be familiar with them.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/06/07 08:10 AM

You will get the same type of focus mit training in leve 1/basics class...
Posted by: pyratechick

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/06/07 06:20 PM

We use focus mits for drill on a regular basis in Level 1 for punching, 360 defense etc..

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/06/07 09:55 PM

Focus mit training is something you will do in 99.9% of all your classes, and through out all the levels.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 12:39 AM

Do you get to learn chokes and groundfighting in level 1 too? I'm afraid I'm going to go into there knowing the basics they teach and not being able to get anything out of it. I have a 2nd black belt in traditional tkd with a slight background in boxing. I'm hoping I can get something out of krav maga that i can apply. :-/
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 07:52 AM

I might be bias and not saying KM won't give you the knowledge you want, have you looked into Systema?? they teach groundfighting, grappling, locks, holds etc etc from the get go.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 09:34 AM

If all you have trained in is TKD and some Boxing, you will get something out of every class. It would be worth it to give it a try. You could also ask the Instructor for additional help with things or to show you other material in a private setting. I help out students with things at private lessons or before or after classes. Just explain to the Instructor about your short time frame for training.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 11:18 AM

thank you so much everybody, you all have been so helpful. One final question, what is the sparring like? is it kickboxing and full contact? what kind of gloves do u need for it?

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 11:50 AM

You might not get sparring in Level 1. It depends on the instrutor/school. I know my old school didn't allow sparring until level 2.

But like Dedidcated said you will definitely get something out of it. Especially, due to the fact that Krav and TKD are worlds apart.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/07/07 11:50 AM

Yes it is just like kickboxing, we use 16 oz. gloves, head gear, mouth guard, and shin guards.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/08/07 05:22 PM

couple more questions:

Has anyone heard anything about the columbia location and the instructors?

And how much grappling and groundfighting is in the level 1 class?

I plan going to classes 5 days a week this winter and do the sparring(if they let me) so I believe I can get a lot out of this.
Thank you all so much for your replies it has greatly helped me :-) I feel much more comfortable laying down the 135 bucks. Oh and what training gloves do they require?
Thanks again!
Posted by: bonesaw

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/26/07 12:48 PM

level 1 is extremely boring. Very basic combatives and escapes. There are some combatives from the ground, but not much else as far as groundfighting goes. And the grappling stuff is mostly high level, so you only get it after a couple of years of training.

By the book, you will have to stick with it for 4 or 5 months before you can do any level 2 stuff which includes the sparring class.

The columbia location is a very nice facility, and the instructors are a really great bunch.

You don't need training gloves, but you can wrap your hands or use wrap gloves or MMA gloves or something similar that braces your wrists and leaves your fingers free while protecting the knuckles from getting torn open.

Re: Krav Maga Maryland - 11/27/07 07:48 AM

I would say all level 1 classes are boring. I think it comes down to the instructor. I used to love my level 1 clsases and sometimes skipped higher levels just to attend level 1. It sometmies good to hit the basics every now and then...Again, they were alway fun and a great workout..