Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting?

Posted by: DKS

Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/13/07 02:31 PM

I am to begin taking Krav Maga classes next week, and I am curious about something I've seen across MA forums around the net. I have seen many bash Krav Maga for non-realistic training (which seems odd considering KM is the only defense system I've come across here in the States that encourages full contact sparring once one is familiar with basic striking / counter techniques). This may be arguable. One thing I have heard just as consistently is that Krav Maga would be completely useless in MMA because the techniques are not designed for use against someone with combative skills. I believe this disregards the military h2h origins of KM as a system. Remember that soldiers are training to fight other soldiers who presumably also have close combat techniques under their belt. Furthermore the self-defense aspects of KM do not play any part in MMA, that is obvious. But why is there the assumption that the strikes,locks/holds, throws, and grappling that is borrowed from other arts and taught in KM cannot be used effectively in MMA?

I try not to hold Biblically to any one series of techniques, I find it hard to improve myself in that way. What works for me is the core ideas of JKD / Muay Thai: Be aggresive, but fluid. Never block / stop-hit without an effective counter or escape. Use attacks in each range appropriately. Attack opponent's lead. Protect your centerline. Control opponent's centerline. Exploit openings.. etc. This seems to mesh well with what I have read, seen, and heard about KM.

To summarize, is it just that many people commenting on the effectiveness or lack thereof of KM -- in the ring or on the street -- do not have actual experience in the style? Why is KM considered so terrible for MMA applications even though the techniques for strikes, takedowns, grappling, etc. all come from MA styles which are indeed prevalent in MMA training (knees & elbows from MT, grappling from BJJ, punching from JKD, etc)??

Sorry that was so long. But it's something I'm really interested in discussing.

Cheers,
D
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/13/07 03:08 PM

Well, I agree with what you said. I think most but not all make the assumption about krav before even trying it. I think a krav person would fare pretty well against an MMA fighter. But it all depends on the fighters, their training etc.

In my experience Krav incorporates their striking from Muay Thai and even t hought I don't think they will say it but a lot of their ground comes from BJJ.

IMO krav just took what other styles had and only used what they felt worked and they disgarded the rest.

I hope this helps and I wouldn't worry about what a lot of other forums, ppl say. Funny thing is is that I wa sprobably one of those people before I tried Krav. I was a krate guy and didn't think I woulod mesh well with krav but I did.
Posted by: El_nuncio

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/15/07 11:07 AM

I got started in Krav Maga recently, after having spent some time in a well-regarded MMA organization. First I'll say that I am far from an expert in either.

My impression is that it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The primary goal of Krav is to kill/maim/immobilize or render impotent an attacker in a situation where your life is on the line. It is truly a "no holds barred" situation, while in MMA, it's obviously different. There are lots of rules in MMA that prevent a Krav practitioner from using some of his primary weapons-- gouging, scratching, biting, head-butts, joint locks, vertical elbows, etc.

There is also the issue of physical conditioning. I've found so far that the Krav methods are not nearly as physically demanding as MMA in that they don't spend a lot of time on strength training or long-interval cardio, like an MMA fighter. The goal in Krav is to stop the fight as soon as possible, however possible, and they wouldn't be trained for several 3-5 minute exchanges with an equally fit opponent. Most real-world street fights will probably never last more than a minute at most. From a power standpoint, there could also be a disparity. Punching and kicking techniques are primary weapons in MMA, and the intense strength and cardio training they endure helps the MMA fighter to put as much power as possible into those techniques. While important in Krav, punching and kicking are complimented by all sorts of other "strikes of opportunity" so that the weaker defender is at less of a disadvantage when facing an opponent who has greater size and strength.

I would imagine that ultimately, the MMA fighter would have the advantage in the ring and a well-skilled Krav practitioner might have the advantage on the street. Even still, it is primarly useful against attackers with little or no combat training or those with training who don't have a considerable size and strength advantage. I do think it is true that in any situation and in any discipline where you face an attacker who has both effective combat training as well as size and strength advantages, you are probably going to lose. Put a soldier (unarmed, of course) with average to above-average physique who is an expert Krav Maga fighter against a world class MMA fighter with an extreme physique, and my money is on the MMA fighter 8 out of 10 times.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/15/07 09:05 PM

I was watching Human Weapon and it was the Krav Maga episode. Generally I don't like the show because I don't buy into the hosts or the fights at the end, but this episode had a line in it that sums up my views about this UFC vrs Self Defense argument we seem to have all the time on this board.

At the very beginning of the show the Krav guy said to Jason? (the MMA guy) "you may be great in the ring but you don't know Sh*t about self defense.

I coulda kissed him.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/15/07 09:26 PM

Well Kimo, that obviously proves that the Krav guy was just operating from the same faulty premise that everyone ELSE does who draws the same incomplete conclusion. I mean, just because he's a KRAV guy doesn't make him a rocket scientist.

El Nuncio

You wrote:
Quote:

My impression is that it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The primary goal of Krav is to kill/maim/immobilize or render impotent an attacker in a situation where your life is on the line.

Let me ask you A question: Do you think that an MMA guy would have any different goal? You see, this is where many people make these bad assumptions. The premise here is that an MMA guy is going to (for some reason) allow his opponent to fight back in the street. It is a misconception that an MMA guy will turn every street encounter into an MMA fight. This isn't the case brother, just to let you know.

In fact, there IS no fighting back once you're engaged. In short, it doesn't look so much like an MMA fight as it does a CRIME SCENE. I think this is worth pointing out.

-John

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/16/07 11:54 AM

Quote:

just operating from the same faulty premise that everyone ELSE does who draws the same incomplete conclusion

By faulty premise would that be when Jason got stabbed 8 times while trying to clinch the knife weilding attacker?

That faulty premise?

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/16/07 02:37 PM

No, the faulty premise that MMA guys don't try and finish fights or aren't good at defending themselves. THAT faulty premise.

If someone decides to fight a guy wielding a knife and gets cut, what's to comment on? The only decision should have been NOT to engage.

The fact that he only got cut eight times would to me seem like a victory, but I can't comment on this because I've not seen it. Provide a link perhaps?

Question for you though Kimo, what "should" he have done?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/16/07 04:21 PM

John,
I don't know if there is a link. I happened to see that episode while at a friends house. As I remember they had Jason at a training faclity in Israel. They did a kind of baseline test by having him and his buddy defend against an attacker with a blade. His first attemtp to defend was less than successful. After he went through the program at the facility he was able to improve his performance. In the end he went against multiple guys, some armed and did very well. I believe that he was able to pick up the Krav techniques so quickly in part because of his atheletic and mma experience.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/16/07 10:23 PM

I see. So this wasn't a "live" blade. Does anyone know who this Jason is or how long he's been training?

I can say that if you don't train to deal with blades, you probably won't deal with them very well. That was probably missing from "Jason's" MMA training. I say, "probably" because I don't know who this Jason is or how he trains.

I'll try and catch this particular episode because I'd like to comment more fully on this.

-John
Posted by: oldman

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/16/07 10:56 PM

John,

BINGO!!!

This clip shows the scene in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNjvFuqpWNE&mode=related&search=

This has a clip about Jason Chambers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJ64DW4GTA&mode=related&search=

The last clip is the multiple assailent section.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 09:29 AM

You can check out the krav clips and about Jason and his partner here..

http://www.history.com/minisites/humanweapon

I can't view youtube from work so I am sorry if the youtube vids are the same as on the human weapon website.

- Jason

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 04:11 PM

The scene Oldman posted is what I referencing, except a few seconds later the Krav guys swears at the two of them.

Basically Jason fought as he trained, he was using clinch technique for self defense, which is crazy IMO.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 07:00 PM

I don't know how Jason trains. I'd be willing to be you don't either Kimo. That would require spending a year and day training with him.

That you haven't seen the clinch used effectively for self defense isn't a surprise to me. That's not a slam on you. It's just that so few seem to understand effective clinching -- even many alleged "MMA" people.

Remember Kimo, MMA is not a style. There is no uniform curriculum. It is only a method of training.

-John
Posted by: shoveldog

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 08:11 PM

Remember your own advice, there, John: Sometimes it's best not to engage. This thread started out with an inquiry about whether krav maga techniques would work in MMA, but Kimo's twisted it into a discussion about whether MMA training will prepare you for a knife attack.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 08:57 PM

Correct Shoveldog. I wouldn't engage a NINE year old with a knife.

As you know however, we DO train a counter knife program called Red Zone as well as the S.T.A.B. program, both of which involve the Russian two-on-one. Thus...the clinch.

And you know man, I've come to realize that so few people really understand what the clinch is. They tend to automatically assume that it's just some random grabbing and hugging, which couldn't be further from the truth. The problem is, the limitation of this medium makes it difficult to fully explain it. You know how it is....I know what it is that I'm trying to explain...but getting it across to others is where it often fails. That's why it has to be seen and experienced.

But you're right. Why on EARTH would I engage a crazy person with a knife. I've got feet for running.

By the way, that clip of Jason clinching in that segment was horrible. There was no control over the arm, no head position, no pressure. Nothing that constitutes a good clinch was present. And what happens is, people use that particular example as the clinch exemplified, then use that example to slam "the clinch" overall. Classic strawman argument.

-John
Posted by: shoveldog

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/17/07 10:11 PM

My post wasn't exactly clear, but I wasn't even talking about the knife; my intended point was that there was no need to engage the strawman argument.

Speaking of knives, don't get me started. My forearms are still bruised from Mr. Tomko's demonstrations back in March.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 09/18/07 06:59 AM

You're right Lee, no doubt.

As for the knife work that we did...the recent stick training we did wasn't much better--particularly when the butt of the damned things ends up jammed into your carotid artery. But that's another story for another time.
Posted by: shantungks

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 11/03/07 11:04 PM

Hahahaha!!
Love reading this deal!!
Well for one unless you know what is like to fight for your life than one can say if MMA works or not in the street. Does Krav Maga work?? Well depends how you train!!!!! How you train that is how you fight!!!!!!! If you train to jab at the nose when attack that is what you will do. Is call proprioception. If you train that your first respond is to injure the oponents eyes or tear the testicles off, then your hand will reach it's goal. Someone swings, you close the distance inmediately and your fingers go for the eyes!! If you have been training over and over to close the distance this is what you will do in a real attack! Some is already part of your natural response to any attack.

Proprioception!!!!!!!!! Yes an MMA guy can learn how to snap and kill someone immediately if that is how he trains but might have to learn to control that area if he is to fight in the ring. This can cause havoc when he has to fight in the ring. Now he has to think.

True and old and effective Krav Maga teaches you to injured your opponent inmediately. Shots to joints, neck region, groin, eys, etc. Only the military guys get train to kill as a first response! Why? because of proprioception. Yes you do get train to kill but after a few years. Well if it's a civilian school that is.

So no matter the style is all about training or proprioception!!
When you do knife work you dont try to strike a finger or knee cap right? first move is somewhere that is going to cause a lot of damage!!
Posted by: Mr_Davies_VA

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/05/08 05:28 PM

Domo Arigato! I think when an MMA guy starts to bash Krav or any Combative System, he should be poked in the eye and then have his eggs squeezed until the yolkes scramble. Then I would entertain the debate. Also, combative techniques work better on sober guys than drunks, trust me.
Posted by: Mr_Davies_VA

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/05/08 05:35 PM

shantungks, you should write books man.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/05/08 06:01 PM

I think Mr Davies and Shantungbs probably spend their time training in arts that are "too deadly" to compete with, would I be right?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/05/08 11:17 PM

Quote:

I think Mr Davies and Shantungbs probably spend their time training in arts that are "too deadly" to compete with, would I be right?

Absolutely!

Afterall, there's no way Randy Couture could ever pull off an eye poke or testicle squeeze.
Endless and stupid.

Hey John, Didn't you do some Krav a while back?

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/05/08 11:58 PM

It seems to me we got a little off topic. Not sure how fighting for your life is an MMA setting.

Davie, welcome to the forums and if you mind mind please introduce yourself int he beginners forum.

Thanks,
Posted by: dulany729

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 02/19/08 08:22 PM

this is my first post but i've been doing krav maga for several years and i plan to try an mma fight soon, krav maga is a bit more simplified than arts like muay thai but it can be equally as effective. i've known about 5 krav maga students that have competed in local mma matches and all but one of them won their bouts.
Posted by: GOVINDA

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/06/08 04:28 PM

Totaly right man , how can it not be workable in mma as it is basically jkd, call it what you like, all the moves are from some other art, its just well marketed, any one with a few dollars and a good business head can sell most things.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/07/08 05:38 AM

Quote:

If someone decides to fight a guy wielding a knife and gets cut, what's to comment on? The only decision should have been NOT to engage.

The fact that he only got cut eight times would to me seem like a victory, but I can't comment on this because I've not seen it. Provide a link perhaps?

Question for you though Kimo, what "should" he have done?

Yep good question. So what should he have done?
He could have run ( ditto sprint training in martial arts)
So could the guy with the weapon.
So what could the guy have done if he had no choice but to stay.?
Look for some kind of weapon to use against the attacker?
No weapon then what?

Interesting why it wasnt answered. I would like to see the answer. Anybody?

Jude

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/07/08 11:40 AM

Quote:

Interesting why it wasnt answered

The only reason I didn't answer is I don't recall seeing the question.

I don't want to get into a long knife defense post on a Krav in the MMA thread, but here is what I saw.

His first move was not terrible, thrust kick to jam the attacker, but then he engaged when he should have created distance, maybe step offline and make the attacker chase him.

Using his ability as a fighter he should have been able to force the knife to his opposite side, creating extra distance until hopefully the attacker made a mistake and he could escape or control the blade etc.

Odds are very high the attacker will attack with the blade, not a jab or a kick, so at least he knows what is coming, use that and control space and hope for the best
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/08/08 11:16 PM

What is interesting is that in the shots where Chambers demonstrates his "poor fighting ability" against a role player trying to show him up, a suggestion is made to use their system's techniques. Once he uses their techniques, the role player plays along.

Makes for an interesting session that was rigged from the start.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/08/08 11:40 PM

Quote:

Well, I can't disagree with you, maybe tyhe reality is that Jason just played his part and let himself get stabbed because it was in the script.

But for sake of the thread I assumed he was trying to defend himself.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/12/08 03:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I can't disagree with you, maybe tyhe reality is that Jason just played his part and let himself get stabbed because it was in the script.

But for sake of the thread I assumed he was trying to defend himself.

The point is that when he used what they were showing him, they stopped resisting. His choice would not have likely been to stay and use his skills rather than run but that was the only option given to him in the drill. They wanted to make a point but it backfired. The tactics that they practiced were no more effective but the uke went along with it to sell the material. This instills the mindset that with "their material" it's ok to stay and mix it up unarmed against a knife "because you are trained".

Rigged, not because he got mauled by the attacker, but because it was all part of a plan to show him up and then drop the aggression once he was using their stuff. Beat on him all you want as far as I am concerned... just be honest about it.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 05/12/08 03:37 PM

Quote:

The point is that when he used what they were showing him, they stopped resisting.

Personally, I have major problems with the show, and I'd have to agree with you on the aspect of resisting. For the sake of the thread I was just addressing the clip where he got stabbed to demonstrate when confronted with the unknown, he fell back on his fight training and 10 years of MMA fighting did him no good against the knife attack.

Many contend that there is nothing you can do against a weapon, so it's a waste of time to even train for it.

I contend, if self defense (not sport combat) is your goal in training, then it make no sense not to train for a weapons attack.

That is not to say you will win, but you certainly can give youself a better chance then Jason did.
Posted by: Kravinatrix

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/29/08 12:51 PM

Quote:

call it what you like, all the moves are from some other art, its just well marketed, any one with a few dollars and a good business head can sell most things.

uH kRAV MAGA is a mixed martial art, it is mma
Jason Chambers main style is bjj, which is probably why he clinched, bjj in my opinion is bad for self defence. If you have mutiple attackers and start grappling then you can get caught, while your tied up what happens when a second guy comes in with a knife??.
Bjj however is better in my opinion then Krav Maga for a 1 on 1 fight with no weapons, but if course it depends on the practioner.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/29/08 01:16 PM

Quote:

uH no it's not. Krav is a RBSD mixed-style, but that is not the same as MMA. MMA is a different animal. Try a MMA class, and you will understand the difference.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/29/08 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

uH no it's not. Krav is a RBSD mixed-style, but that is not the same as MMA. MMA is a different animal. Try a MMA class, and you will understand the difference.

uH, Matt. Do mma competitors train at krav schools? uH, no, they don't.

uHHHHHHHHH

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/29/08 01:44 PM

I think it would be the other way around. I mean I wasn't much interested in MMA until I start krav. Like yall said it ain't MMA, except for maybe some of the striking but it got me thinking about MMA. Especially when they added BJJ to the Krav schedule.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/30/08 05:48 PM

It is comprised of moves taken from other styles
therefore its a "mixed" martial art.
The difference is this mixed martial art is not for sport.
If you don't agree with me there is really no point arguing about this as it doesent really matter.
You probably spend more time debating on these boards then actually training.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/30/08 06:04 PM

While it may seem to be a matter of semantics to you, there is a difference between RBSD's and MMA. Again, I encourage you to check out an MMA class to understand what it is.

I can also assure you that any of us have spent MUCH more time training than you have, junior.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/30/08 06:15 PM

Time training was not what i was questioning.
It was time training compared to the amount of time spent on these forums or debating which i was interested in.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/30/08 07:50 PM

I note how you change the subject to pathetic personal attacks when you can't argue you point coherently. Feel free to prove how Krav and MMA are the same thing. Or better yet, ask your instructor - assuming you even have one.

I hope that your martial arts skills are better than your debating skills.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/30/08 11:24 PM

@ junior.

Well, I can say Matt does train more or equal to time on boards, since I have trained with him.

Second, Krav is not an art, period. Show me where Krav has took moves from BJJ? From what I remember they have none. YEs, they do ground work, but I don't remember it being influenced by BJJ. And if I am not mistaken, MMA< consists of BJJ. Hmm, i think your theory or argument is flawed that Krav is an MMA. Totally two different animals.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/31/08 10:59 AM

Quote:

Second, Krav is not an art, period. Show me where Krav has took moves from BJJ?

Arm Bar

This all depends on your definition of mixed martial arts really. I mean someone could argue JKD was a mixed martial art as it takes moves from various styles. But really is there such need to be so anal.
I think there is a USI problem in these forums, maybe thats something to do with martial arts, i do see a connection.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/31/08 11:43 AM

Quote:

I mean someone could argue JKD was a mixed martial art as it takes moves from various styles. But really is there such need to be so anal.

Clarity of thought is of the utmost importance on a forum. After all, we're not standing in front of each other with the ability to show what we mean.

FWIW, this is a commonly accepted definition of MMA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts#cite_note-slate-0

What you think of Krav would be more accurately referred to as a "hybrid" art/style or a "combative". Most people would not accept Krav as MMA nowadays.

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 08/31/08 11:32 PM

I believe an arm bar has been around before BJJ. Next!! And it ain't anal. You will not find krav ppl to call krav an art but a system.
Posted by: vanguard

Re: Krav Maga ineffective in MMA setting? - 10/30/08 06:35 PM

I don't know and see how Krav Maga became ineffective against MMA. IMHO, Krav Maga is the most effective, practical, and efficient MA/self defense system there is to date. It's principles and techniques are very simple yet very effective and deadly. It doesn't employ very difficult maneuvers in defending one's self.

Krav Maga is reality based, not sports or studio type based of training, which makes it very practical especially in defending one's self on the streets and outside the ring and dojo.