http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZhgo5uia0&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxWjOxRwWc&mode=related&search=

Critique?
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 05/08/07 12:19 PM

ANY opinions? I see views!!!
Posted by: jpoor

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 05/08/07 01:06 PM

The highly choreographed, propaganda style in the first vid turned me off pretty quick. The peer on peer training ( I think it was somewhere in these vids) is more realistic than when a senior is demonstrating.
Posted by: TomTom

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 05/08/07 03:29 PM

Got to say that I've got very mixed opinons on these vids. There were moments that I thought looked very effective - but there was a lot that was plain awful as well.
I know that it is very difficult to get a feeling for a system that you have never trained and only seen on Vid, but it hasn't exactly won me over!
Wasn't really sure I was seeing anything new really either?
I might be completely wrong! lol
Posted by: alf55

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/09/07 06:00 PM

on this site you can download this video:
Russian Martial Arts - Systema - Vladimir Vasiliev - Fighti.avi (205.29 MB)

http://martialartssource.blogspot.com/
Posted by: Neko456

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/10/07 12:01 AM

I agree chorographed but good short instinctive spontaneous moves you can see how modern Systema got its start. It like other military martial arts stress a possible defense and counter for weapons from the bayonet rifle, axes, knives and sticks. Also multiples attacks and vital targets all the things that some modern begininers and gym old timers are in disbeliever in.

These videos show the begining of SystemA, its modern version looks much less chorographed and stress instinctive moves,flowing with the opponents moves and taking and giving heavy contact. It is now a good system of self defense, and probably was then.
All Martial Arts demos are chorograhped becuase of the saftey factor, among other things.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/13/07 10:18 AM

Not all are so rehearsed. I've seen videos made where the attacker was free to attack any way he wanted and the defender had no idea what was coming.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/13/07 11:19 AM

I've seen and done some free lance demos, even called some people out from the audience. This is not something I recommend (in this sue happy society) unless training lion hearts in the dojo or plained clothes for the street. Because 9 times of 10 someone gets hurt, usually not serious but someone bleeds, even if its the attacker's chin hitting his own knee.

In the free movement defense knowing how to fall isn't good enough be able to fall well is paramont. It's a test that probably has to be done but I'd rather be on the defending side of this one.

If successful they are impressive but rarely are they form perfect, very rarely. And minimum of a busted lip and bruises are to be expected, most time. Its hard to control the unexpected.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/17/07 05:02 PM

How did the audience people do?

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/18/07 02:03 AM

Spectators usually follow instructions well after they feel your power.

Usually some the men are pretty cocking and may try something cute I expect that and any unexpected moves I usually short curcit with a sweep or stop kick to the shin or thigh. Soft viberating palm block. As I mention they are ready to sit down of follow instructions after they feel your power. They like trying the sucker punuch but they don't have a chance at the range you have them stand at. As in law enforcement its about controlling the subject with your voice and at the range you desire.

Head Locks and Full Neslon they usually fall right into the counter you practice daily against such an attack.

Posted by: NewEnglandBudo

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/19/07 06:22 PM

Hi all,

This past May I traveled to Toronto with my Shorin Ryu sensei who has over 40 years of Okinawan MA experience. By Jan. 1, 2010 he will be only a Systema school. That is how adamant he feels about the system.

I too, was extremely hesitant when I saw the videos, but after seeing it first hand, and seeing that none of it is choreographed but clips of Vladimir Vasiliez just taking people from the class and doing technique demo.

Of course it looks slow, but when you are working with neophytes you go slow. Watch the clips with senior folks and decide.

When he was applying the Systema techniques with his senior students all I heard was the "whoomps" of techniques striking and the Systema breathing and "woosh" of air going out/then into the lungs.

As to the mass exercise with everyone punching each other, this is less for damage but more for feeling that attacks come from anywhere and to make you more aware of that fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKJ5hPL_gJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE_4bRXATLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqn43QK_LY

Lastly, a MMA Convert 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfCLgJXmPNI
Posted by: SEAL

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/20/07 12:51 PM

First, one guy from mma doesn't represent the opinion of everyone from mma. Second, how would I know if he truly is an mma fighter. He's not listed on fightfinder. Heck, just because he knows what a double leg takedown is, doesn't mean much. If he took mma, I know nothing of how long, what was his prior training, and the like. What I saw in that video looked like garbage. If you believe that russia military won their battles with this secret art, well then you are lost. There has never been a war between the karate army vs. the judo navy. Japan turned Okinawa to ruin becasue of military might, not martial arts. I'd like to see a live exhibition with someone like Fedor or Couture and see how long it lasts.

Just wanted to add that I am very confident this guy is not an mma fighter. Did he take mma? I suppose it's possible. But he looked sloppy, lethargic, and quite lost doing "mma techniques." What a joke.

People keep looking for secrets like Dim Mak and all this other bs and it doesn't exist. Look at the history of man. MMA is nothing new. Human beings have been fighting the same way since probably the beginning. There are no secrets.

Third, and this is something that Matt Thornton from SBG has said to everyone who asks him, why? Why? Why do you want to take systema? Why do you want to take karate? Why do you want to take bjj? Why do you want to take krav amga? What is the heart of the matter?

I take mma because of its sportive nature and the comradery with the people I meet. To me, arts like systema are the things that feed a false ego and promote fear and paranoia. I don't wake up and say to myself, "today's the day I'm gonna get into a street fight." You're much more likely to die from bad health than a street encounter. Of course, if you live in a bad area and are genuinely concerned about your life, learn how to use a handgun. What I'm saying is there is a certain mindset that breeds negative emotions and a person should not partake in such things that aggrivate said mindset. If a person belives in systema, fine. But don't do it because you want to protect yourself for some unknown future encounter on the street. Take care of your health, your family, your friends, and support yourself with positive contributions.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/21/07 02:57 PM

Quote:

Spectators usually follow instructions well after they feel your power.

Usually some the men are pretty cocking and may try something cute I expect that and any unexpected moves I usually short curcit with a sweep or stop kick to the shin or thigh. Soft viberating palm block. As I mention they are ready to sit down of follow instructions after they feel your power. They like trying the sucker punuch but they don't have a chance at the range you have them stand at. As in law enforcement its about controlling the subject with your voice and at the range you desire.

Head Locks and Full Neslon they usually fall right into the counter you practice daily against such an attack.

Ha ha great stuff! Gives more credibility I would think.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/21/07 02:59 PM

Seal have you practiced and directly experienced Systema? If not you have no gorunds on which to base your argument as you have no practical knowledge or understanding of your subjecti n question which is foudnational to an argument.
Anyway I liked the video with the old guy and the 60's looking clips but the systema under Konstantin, Ryabko, etc. I'm extremely skeptical of and would liek to experience for myself under "live conditions".
Anyway Seal there is an ovious difference between mma competition and street fighting as to environmental conditions and rules and then training levels of fighters, sizes, etc. Less is "known" on the street and it is more dangerous in many ways. This requires different tactics. I wont fight an untrained brawler like I would an mma fighter.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/21/07 07:40 PM

I went to two different locations, both run by the same people, to wet my noodle. As far as mma, the whole point that, say, a Matt Thornton would make is mma helps prepare you mentally. You know it what's like to get hit in the face. You know what it's like to roll on the ground. It gives you a sense of timing and motion, and resistance. I don't care about street fighting. People bring it up all the time and it's really befuddling. I think it's the wrong motivation for someone walking into a martial arts school. Why go around worrying about getting into a street fight, I dunno. Again, if someone frequents or lives in a lousy area, do your best to avoid dangerous situations and if you're responsible to handle it, learn how to use a firearm. That's my 2 cents.

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/21/07 07:45 PM

i recommend you visit this thread

http://mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?FID=1&a=521&TID=0

as it will give some further insight into the vid in question, with comments from the man himself.

Cheers!

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 06/22/07 08:31 PM

Thanks but I cant find the thread it's just a main thing.
Posted by: shantungks

Re: systema vids. Interesting - 11/17/07 05:26 PM

SEAL,
Many arts can teach you a sense of timing and what is like to get hit including systema.

True why do you do martial arts?
also be realistic as to why and not fall under the stupid and idiotic idea that if does not work in a cage is not good enough. Remember MMA is a sport.

I do martial arts and the style I choose because I stayed in shape, keeps me healthy and because the way I train it has kept me safe and hope it will continue to do if ever again happens.

Systema is a style i have gotten to know in the last few weeks. The breathin, the exercises, the conditioning, the techniques, the drills are nice.