Age levels?

Posted by: LLL

Age levels? - 10/08/06 02:23 PM

I have read quite a bit on Krav Maga but have not been able to find anything about teens. I have a daughter that is 15 years old 5"8 and about 150lbs. She is very aggressive and I feel as though this would be a very good confidence builder as well as good training for her. I plan to take the class with her in the hopes that we would practice together as not to slow down anyone elses. What are your thoughts? Is this too much to expose her too?
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Age levels? - 10/08/06 02:41 PM

No, it should enhance both of your lives.
Posted by: silvershamrock

Re: Age levels? - 10/08/06 08:24 PM

I agree that it would be good for both of you. It's designed for most anyone to be able to use, probably given that women have to serve in the Isreali military as well as men.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Age levels? - 10/09/06 04:47 AM

The lower age limit at the club where I train (in Norway) is 18. I don't know how it is other places...
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Age levels? - 10/09/06 02:13 PM

I agree with Tuxette. Not all schools teach to kids. Either under 16 or 18.

I believe they have to offer the KM-X.

http://www.kravmaga-kmx.com/

But if you can find a school that offers kmx it would be great for both of you. Plus, I have heard that some places might make an exception to age dependin gon maturity.

Re: Age levels? - 10/10/06 12:42 AM

Thank you all for responding. I have contacted my local Krav Maga place and I am going to take a class tomorrow night first and then see what I think. The instuctor said that he would accept her because of her height and stature. I still appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Re: Age levels? - 10/10/06 08:18 AM

Excellent and have fun with it.

Re: Age levels? - 10/13/06 01:18 PM

Okay.........I can hardly lift my arms to type today...I took the class and it was awesome. Right up my alley. The instructors were just great. Excellent work out!! I was concentating so much on the moves that I barely noticed that I was sweating like a pig! Loved it! I really think that this class will be fine for my 15 year old thanks to the instructors being flexable. I will report back in after our class on this monday and update. Thanks again for your input!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Age levels? - 10/13/06 02:12 PM

Congrats on getting through your first class! Keep us posted.

Re: Age levels? - 10/13/06 02:52 PM

great job! Keep us posted.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Age levels? - 10/15/06 12:09 PM

That's great! keep at it, your both going to enjoy it!

Re: Age levels? - 10/17/06 04:50 PM

Okay.......My daughter made it through the class!! Man is this perfect for her. She never stopped once she kept going and trying. She LOVED it!! Wanted to stay and try another class!! I think this worked out for 1 main reason....The instructors were amazing with her. They treated her like an adult and never gave up on her once. She recieved so much attention and direction from the instructors that you couldn't help but want to work hard at it.

So we joined and are going to try to stick with a 2 times a week routine. and as for me well I now have a new addiction! Just love everything about krav maga!

Re: Age levels? - 10/18/06 05:06 AM

That is awesome news! Glad yall love it and good luck!
Posted by: ShangTsung

Re: Age levels? - 12/21/06 03:27 PM

Im 15 i have been doing krav maga for about six months i think its great. Im the only participant under 18 though i think i prefer it to tkd