Basic Tools

Posted by: Stormdragon

Basic Tools - 07/30/06 03:38 PM

Here's a list of the basic tools or techniques of unarmed combat and some commentary on them:

Tiger Claw- A common attack used in combatives made by imagining oyu're gripping a grapfruit with the fingers curled in and the hand extended. Use it by thrusting the hand into your opponents face and eyes and digging in with the fingers. The opponent generally will retreat backwards and snap their head back leaving their chin open which you can attack with a chinjab/upwards palm heel strike, or you can strike the throat. The TC can be thrust repeatedly with a piston like motion or slammed into the assailants face and held for a moment and then pulled back to deliver a strike with the other hand as I like to do.

Chin Jab- Basically this is a palm heel strike delivered with the same basic motion as the uppercut. The strike should travel upwards along the opponents centerline into their chin with a battering ram type motion. End the CJ by curling your fingers into the opponents eye's or delivering follow up blows for example elbows to the head or knees to the groin.
The CJ and the TC can also be used in similar ways against the groin.

AxeHand/Edge of the hand blow/Karate chop- For this attack, you strike with the little finger edge of your hand (strike with the meaty portion of your hand not the bone, lest you break your finger) to the throat, sides of the neck. bridge of the nose, sides of the head, collar bone, back of the neck, groin, inner forearm/wrist. etc. Attack with a swinging or whipping like motion, preferably with your arm bent around 90 degrees give or take with a few exceptions as in attacking the groin. You can attack with palm facing down, up, and out to the side. Use full hip rotation, shoulder strength, etc. for maximum effect, hence the reason it's best to use a bent arm for more force and leverage.

elbow strike- Use a swinging motion with your elbows to attack the head, jaw, chin, bridge of the nose and similar areas, or attack with the elbow rearward to the ribs or stomach and groin with slamming motions.

Knee Strikes- Attack forward or upward with the knees using a thrusting motion to hte groin, abdomen, face, etc. The are great from a Muay Thai clinch.

Some combos include:
Lead TC, rear CJ, rear Knee strike

Lead TC, rear CJ, rear knee, downward Axe Hand.

Lead Axehand, rear CJ, rear knee strike

More to come.

Re: Basic Tools - 07/30/06 03:49 PM

Downward Elbow- This is slammed into the base of the skull or spine of the opponent. Downward obviously.

Lead shin kick- this is basically a lead leg low side kick to the shin, best used when an attacker is advancing on you.

Headbutt- Slam the top of youur head or forehead into an assailants nose.

Front kick- Snap or thrust the ball of your foot or instep into your attacker's groin or shins.

Re: Basic Tools - 08/02/06 02:30 PM

Where the heck is all the Krav Maga practitioners?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Basic Tools - 08/02/06 03:26 PM

Are you looking for others to add on? That is not the impression I got from your post. It appeared that you were listing for informatinal purposes.

Re: Basic Tools - 08/02/06 09:54 PM

It's for informational purposes put on by me. I've been a bit busy so I haven't had a lot of time to add to it. Feel free to add anything you want.

Re: Basic Tools - 08/02/06 10:02 PM

Front kick- Bring your knee up about waist height and snap the ball of oyur foot into your attackers stomack, groin, or shin. Or bring your knee up and thrust the ball of your foot into their stomach.

Low Round kick- Swing your shin into your attacker's thigh by turning or rolling your hips and slamming your shin into the target. Attack soft targets with this technique to preven injury to your shin.

*The thigh can also be attacked with forward knee strikes.*
Posted by: SilkyFighter

Re: Basic Tools - 08/26/06 02:01 PM

I just wanted to add a thought on front kicks. Wouldn't it be better to kick the person in the groin with your shin? I mean the ball of your foot it better than nothing, but it is attached to your ankle, which has the tendency to rotate, giving the possibily of breaking your ankle. Whereas the shin is very hard. Also, why bring your knee up to your waist and snap it out. Too much power is lost. Instead explode the kick from the ground using your hips and leaning your upper body slightly back to propel the kick "through" your opponent. It seems to me the kind of kick you are talking about is more like a stomp kick, which is generally used to create some distance between you and your opponent. Does this make sense?

Re: Basic Tools - 08/26/06 04:15 PM

That's just the Tae Kwon do in me talking, I dont know, it's really a matter of personal preference, actually the shin kcik would hurt more, is better for unskilled people, and is all around powerful, however it seems like it's only good right up close becuase you telegraph when try to swing your leg out there. But it's good either way.
Posted by: SilkyFighter

Re: Basic Tools - 08/27/06 03:18 AM

Ya man I understand. I also thought that by doing the front kick the way I explained above would be telegraphing. However, people generally are looking for movement of the knee reaching hip level before they register it is a kick. So, by thrusting your kick from your hips, by the time they register it to be a kick, it is too late. This type of kick, however, is designed to be aimed at the groin.

Re: Basic Tools - 08/27/06 03:49 PM

Also, I think it's a much quicker kick (the snap kick), but either way you're going to hurt the guy, and if you fent a couple faces punches, they most likely wont react to the quick.