do you earn different belts in krav maga?

Posted by: orsrt05

do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/20/06 09:48 PM

a krav maga training facility just opened up in my area and i am interested in some more information about it before i go to the intro class. does krav maga have different degrees of belts as you progress in the program? or is there a limit as to how far your skills can go in krav maga? the reason i ask, is because i notice on the training schedule that there is only one krav maga class per day at this facility, it doesnt say anything about beginner, intermediate or advanced classifications. i could be wrong, maybe the classes are split, but im still curious about whether or not you earn different belts as your skills progress. can you become a black belt in krav maga?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/20/06 10:25 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This link might be helpful.

http://www.kravmagadfw.com/curriculum.html

My guess to why there is only one class is because the school is new. My school only had basics and level 1 because they just opened and it made sense that there were no Levels higher than level 2.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/20/06 10:36 PM

If you haven't looked at the link provided by Mr. Moyer, here is a summary of the belt system. The first thing is, there are no belts. You get a certificate of rank since Krav has no uniforms. The levels are yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, and black. Black belt is by invitation only. Go to your intro, you should have a blast.
Posted by: orsrt05

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/21/06 01:33 PM

wow, thanks alot, for some reason, no matter how much i searched, i couldnt find any info on the cirriculum of krav maga, just its history and uses. the intro class should interesting, i think i finally found my martial art. thanks again you guys.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/21/06 09:04 PM

Glad to hear it. Let us know how your Intro goes, and have fun!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 07/21/06 09:42 PM

Yep, glad to hear it and enjoy. It is your life.
Posted by: Gman290

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 04/25/07 12:29 PM

It depends on the Krav Maga organisation or "style' of Krav Maga you do.

When I did Krav Maga first the guy did not do grades, even though it was supposed to be IKMF.

When I did Israeli KM Assoc they were very much big into belts and grades, as much as traditional martial arts.

Now I am an Instructor for Tactical Krav Maga, and we have no belts...we just care about what will work in a street confrontaion and train for that...IMO thats what matters!
Posted by: rafikEz

Re: do you earn different belts in krav maga? - 04/26/07 02:22 AM

Quote:

It depends on the Krav Maga organisation or "style' of Krav Maga you do.

When I did Krav Maga first the guy did not do grades, even though it was supposed to be IKMF.

When I did Israeli KM Assoc they were very much big into belts and grades, as much as traditional martial arts.

Now I am an Instructor for Tactical Krav Maga, and we have no belts...we just care about what will work in a street confrontaion and train for that...IMO thats what matters!

hmm, isnt that the point of all krav, irrespective of organisation? i dont know, ive only ever learnt IKMF so am not in a position to say with certainty. do the styles differ considerable in your experience? side note- im guessing your an aussie becuase tactical krav is the biggest organisation in australia? if so, where do you hail from mate?