Krav Maga or Aikido and various other forms

Posted by: westwinger123

Krav Maga or Aikido and various other forms - 06/20/06 06:14 PM

First of all I would like to say this is my first post. I am new to the deatails and if I make any mistakes or errors, could someone please remind me and point me in the right direction.

For the real question: What do you think is more effective, Krav Maga or aikido? I am thinking of taking one of these for a few years mainly for self defense, and partial conditioning. Which one would suit me more? Any other arts you guys fell would be even more effective?

Changed VS to OR
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga or Aikido and various other forms - 06/20/06 08:54 PM

Welcome to the forums.

I would recommend getting familiar with the stickies on the forums and it gives you the do's and dont's.

As for Krav or Aikido, that will be up to you and best thing is to find a school close to you and try each out and see what you like and suites you.
Posted by: SEAL

Re: Krav Maga vs Aikido and various other forms - 06/20/06 08:56 PM

Easily Krav Maga (assuming it's reputable). The main problem I see with Krav Maga is not all schools are official and that means some deviate from the course. Now that's not necessairly a bad thing because Krav Maga is a system that is always evolving. As long as as the school is not too loose in its interpretation of Krav Maga, it's fine. Like, if they leave out groundfighting, that's bad. But if they add more (useful) gun techniques, that's good. Basically, be wary of Mcdojos who rip off Krav Maga. There's a school in Florida who teaches Hagannah and all he had to do was take a 5-day certification course. In Isreal, asking someone if they study Krav Maga is like asking someone if they study Karate -- there are many styles of Karate. In America, there are few schools that teach an authentic variation of Krav Maga. Nonetheless, it's a fine system.

The problem with Aikido is there is no live training, let alone sparring (which is almost as bad as no sparring). Perhaps realfighting.com says it best, "Aikido is very beautiful but the problem is the unrealistic nature of the art. There's no sparring and everything is prearranged. Students learn to assume that people attacking them will come after them in aikido fashion. It is very effective if your opponent stretches out their arms, but against a grappler they will be crying like a baby. It's beautiful to watch but I've personally seen so many aikidoists crash and burn when confronting someone with real fighting skills. There are some very effective techniques, but they are best adapted by experienced fighters." I totally agree with this statement. It's a fine system for those who have some live training under their belt. If you have some live training, I think it's okay, if the eastern culture of teaching is your thing (think Karate or TKD).