Intro from Down Under + Questions

Posted by: Namus

Intro from Down Under + Questions - 06/02/06 04:09 AM

G'day everyone,

I'm from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, and having just started taking Krav classes (about 5 weeks now). Seems like a great forum where people respect eachother, so I thought I would join up and see what I could learn...

Just a few questions:

What goes well with Krav?

Just for some background:

I'm only a very small bloke at 5ft. 1in. and 50-52kg. (about 110 pounds for conversion purposes). Anyways, due to a run-in with this thing called cancer, I have a minor physical impairment with my lower left leg. I can still high kick etc. with it, but heavy contact is likely to be painful. Having said that, it is now reinforced with titanium, so I'd say that it'd also be painful for the attacker. I realise that in the 'real world' the attacker isn't going to stop and say "hey man, are you ok?", hence why I'm finally starting to take classes....

I'm am in fairly good shape, and do physical training (i.e. gym and cardio etc.) for around 10-15hrs per week, on top of about 2.5hrs per week of KM (can't do anymore cause of location). My best asset is speed and mobility. Various ppl (including my instructor and another student who has studied JiuJitsu for 15 years) have also agreed.

In any case, I'm looking for styles to compliment KM. I have read (mainly on here) and heard that JiuJitsu (whether BJJ or 'traditional') and Wing Chun Kung Fu are both good to compliment KM. Does anyone have any opinions? Please put why you think a particular style is good as well.

NOTE: I'm not after flashy. Just something which you can pick up after say about 6 months (no more). Also, I'm not in a rush either. I'll be sticking with KM until I get my G3-G5 (Somewhere around there) ranking. For those who aren't familiar with this ranking system, this is about a Blue or Brown belt.

Also, what sort of weapons training would be useful in the real world?

I can't think of any more questions, but I'll post up if I do. Any help with the above questions would be most greatly appeciated.

Many thanks,
Namus
Posted by: rafikEz

Re: Intro from Down Under + Questions - 06/02/06 06:00 AM

Welcome.
im from australia as well, melbourne though :-)
nice and windy, misrable weather all year long.

ive done a bit of judo in the past, and enjoyed that, and am going to get back into that as well as my KM.

one thing though, u might might find G3-G5...a difficult level to reach. the coloured belts are generally compared to the P1-P5, andything G1 and above is more like dans of a black belt, and in my gym only one person (the head instructor) has a rank higher then G2 (and the head instructor is a G4). i suppose if you are deddicaqted though, best of luck
and hope you enjoy your training mate :-)
Posted by: stvb7

Re: Intro from Down Under + Questions - 06/02/06 11:42 AM

Hi and welcome,

At our Krav facility we complement Krav with BJJ. The BJJ is altered somewhat to provide more striking than submissions with the thought of getting off the ground as quickly as possible in the event that the assailant has friends who may kick your head in while you roll around on the ground trying to get a submission.

While we do a small amount of groundfighting, we are mainly focused on standup techniques and defenses. If your Krav place teaches some ground techniques, you might not need to find a complementary art until you have learned all of the Krav techniques.

Good luck with your training!
Posted by: umsangil

Re: Intro from Down Under + Questions - 06/02/06 01:08 PM

I have been out of KM training for a little while, but when I was training, our school combined Krav with BJJ and Judo.

I may be mistaken but it looks like a lot of the takedowns in Krav are taken either straight from Judo or are modified versions of Judo takedowns.

Im of a smaller physical stature too, and for people like us, its important to have tactics that compensate for our lack of sheer brute strength. BJJ will get you used to being taken down and how to get back on your feet asap. Judo helps you understand leverage and how to use your opponent's superior size and strength against them. Being taken down on the concrete = ouch.

Good luck with your training.
Posted by: Namus

Re: Intro from Down Under + Questions - 06/08/06 06:16 PM

Cool, thank you for all of the replies. I'll be going for my P1 ranking in the next few weeks (at most), so I'm pretty excited about that and it'll be interesting to see how that goes...

Anyways, thanks again ppl, and best of luck with your training as well.

Cheers,
Namus