Krav Maga Videos.....

Posted by: rafikEz

Krav Maga Videos..... - 05/22/06 04:28 AM

i was paroozing the internet for any good krav videos
all i could come up with are...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOnMgxeSBw&search=Krav%20Maga
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yc2jjuVqgY&search=Krav%20Maga

and this new awesome one that has an E-level IKMF instructor in it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9iRSePHyE&search=Krav%20Maga

i was wondering if anyone knew of or had any other videos? im told that if you can read hebrew there are some on the hebrew sites, but alas, english is my forte.

cheers for any help anyone can give.
:-)
Posted by: SEAL

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 05/22/06 07:54 AM

Check this site out:
http://www.kravmagaexams.pro.br/ingles/index.htm

Just click on videos and voila!

Oh, this one is interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1cfEMk_NE

This one, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgeWh3iqo1o
Posted by: Plantman

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 05/23/06 11:57 AM

Here are some from the IKMA website. Be patient, they take a litle while to load and there is no progress bar telling you that it is buffering. Well worth it.

http://kravmagaisraeli1.ybay.co.il/data/...0&tpMID=120

http://kravmagaisraeli1.ybay.co.il/data/...0&tpMID=132

http://kravmagaisraeli1.ybay.co.il/data/...0&tpMID=113

http://kravmagaisraeli1.ybay.co.il/data/...0&tpMID=154
Posted by: KMX

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 05/31/06 11:48 AM

I didnt even know they updated the site. Some great videos and pics on there.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 05/31/06 10:53 PM

hmm, the movies posted by seal all seem a bit more joke orientated, and a lot of the IKMA videos that i was watching, they all seem so different in their execution to the stuff that ive been learning?

like in the video with the headlock, the initial part is the same with the ball hit and the nose grab to pull the head back, but instead of just dropping the person and staying upright (like ive been taught to) he instead follows the guy down and locks him into an arm bar.

im not espiecally experienced in krav, less then a year. could any instructors here shed any light on that? ive always thought that in krav u shouldnt follow a person onto the ground...seems more BJJ like?
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/01/06 09:55 AM

If you noticed in a few of the videos, the attacker was being restrained, and set up to receive hand cuffs. That is law enforcement Krav. Civilian Krav would be as you have trained. Stay on your feet, defend and get away safely. It is not your job to restrain your attacker. It IS your job to hurt them badly and survive the attack. As for arm bars, a friend of mine broke a guys arm while bouncing at a bar. The guy still fought back due to the drugs and beer in his system. Arm bars do not finish attacks. Beating your attacker unconscious does.
Posted by: danield

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/21/06 11:48 AM

Hi ,

I am training in one Israeli Krav Maga association and will be happy to answer any questions..

I am glad you liked our new wbsite it tokk a lot of time to build...
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/22/06 07:49 AM

Quote:

Check this site out:

I am left a little puzzled and wondering, why on earth would you try to kick someone in the face that is hiding behind a tree? From a self defense perspective, if you knew someone was there, like is shown in that video then why not hall butt the opposite direction?

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/23/06 07:48 PM

Quote:

If you noticed in a few of the videos, the attacker was being restrained, and set up to receive hand cuffs. That is law enforcement Krav. Civilian Krav would be as you have trained. Stay on your feet, defend and get away safely. It is not your job to restrain your attacker. It IS your job to hurt them badly and survive the attack. As for arm bars, a friend of mine broke a guys arm while bouncing at a bar. The guy still fought back due to the drugs and beer in his system. Arm bars do not finish attacks. Beating your attacker unconscious does.

The attacker was hit several times before being restrained via arm bars? It was after all a training video.

Additionally, in real life most of those arm bars would have resulted in badly broken arms/severed tendons etc....

I do like to emphasize that most if not all arms bars happen AFTER a person has been hit several times.

A lot of students I have seen just try to go for a lock, not realizing what happened before it.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/25/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Check this site out:

I am left a little puzzled and wondering, why on earth would you try to kick someone in the face that is hiding behind a tree? From a self defense perspective, if you knew someone was there, like is shown in that video then why not hall butt the opposite direction?

yeah, that looks pretty unbelievably stupid.

some of the IKMA videos looked really impressive, like the sparring between the two guys, showing lots of 'retsev' and just awesome intensity of attacks. but some of the videos like that one are....just comical?

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 06/26/06 11:36 PM

I agree that the videos on that site are "interesting" to say the least.

I have no idea of the instructors qualifications, bu why do the techniques so slow? Or is it the connection? I doubt it because I have seen in on a couple diffeent CPU"s and it's always slow.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/27/06 07:39 AM

Yeah; they're interesting if you call watching video clips of "demonstrations" interesting.

I saw the first seconds of the first video and couldn't watch anymore. That's a nice job of "role playing" and demonstration. Let me ask why you rarely see KM clips of people who are actually sparring? (Perhaps that video clip is included in those above. I'll check them all out later when I have time).

I'm just fascinated by how every Krav Maga video clip that I ever see is always a "demonstration". In fact, that's all I usually see from ANY "street combat" martial art. That's what many apparently believe is "training". Anyone know what that may be the case here with Krav Maga?

Dedicated1 wrote
Quote:

As for arm bars, a friend of mine broke a guys arm while bouncing at a bar. The guy still fought back due to the drugs and beer in his system. Arm bars do not finish attacks. Beating your attacker unconscious does.

Lets be careful here.

I know of instances where they DID finish an attack. I also know of instances where beating a guy senseless did NOT finish the fight. He would go out, then come back; go out, then come back, etc., etc.

Both of those situations were as told to me by LEOs within special units. You can never truly know beforehand what will be required to “finish” an individual. (Personally I’d break the shoulder before I would the arm).

I make that point to show the utility of causing structural damage. There is a reason why you learn joint locking and submission. (And that isn't to get the "tap out". )

There are two primary ways of "ending" a fight: 1. Causing unconsciousness (by way of head trauma or a choke) and 2. Structural damage (joint locking and breaking)

My point is that beating a person unconscious requires a certain attributes. If you’re smaller, you’re not as likely to beat a person unconscious that outweighs you and is taller/stronger, etc. A smaller person CAN however use leverage and technique. Lets not forget why jiu-jitsu has been around for thousands of years. Take the notion of the UFC out of the picture and try to think of the underlying art. It works very well and has been proven time and time again. It’s the INDIVIDUAL that we have to educate and make street savvy.

-John
Posted by: stvb7

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/27/06 10:19 AM

I think one answer to your question about why you don't see people sparring in Krav in more videos is probably because sparring isn't what Krav is about. It isn't about two people standing toe to toe exchanging blows for a long period of time. Many of the defeneses are reactions to an attack which set the defender up to quickly attack and then get away.

People do spar in Krav, but perhaps they just don't bother to make vidoes of it. I am a beginner at sparring and I suck at it, so I'm sure not going to post a video. If you think about it, other MA's have tournaments, so of course you will get a lot of footage of sparring. Krav doesn't have tournaments, so you'll have less footage.

Quote: "I'm just fascinated by how every Krav Maga video clip that I ever see is always a "demonstration". In fact, that's all I usually see from ANY "street combat" martial art. That's what many apparently believe is "training". Anyone know what that may be the case here with Krav Maga?"

I'm not really sure what it is that you are looking for from Krav. Real videos where Krav practicioners start fights "on the street" to prove how effective the techniques are? Many of the Krav attacks would be very detrimental to your training partner...are you saying that you'd like to see someone actually fishhook their partner and rip their cheek open to make the training more authentic? I assume you don't mean that. Sometimes I bite my training partner if I can reach when grappling. How hard should I bite to make it more realistic? Should I keep biting until they bleed? (yuck, no way!)

I do agree that the IKMF videos are very staged, and I know that in Krav training you start with that kind of attack and speed in order to learn the proper responses and body movements. Once you are able to execute the manuever, the attackers are allowed to attack you in unpredictable ways. "There are no rules" is a quote you hear from Krav instructors.

Since I haven't done other MA's I have no idea what others would consider realistic training. I am also only at the yellow belt level (about a year into Krav), so I'm still learning the basics. I can say that we train with resistance, and that the amount of resistance is a function of how good you are.

I can understand your question though because I have a friend who is a second degree black belt in Ju Jitsu and when we talk about techniques my 140lb female friend is completely confident in her ability to handle ANY sized guy, and I wonder how realistic her training is. I think that some of the big guys I train with would crush her, despite her technique. Her art seems to ignore strikes (at least her hands don't end up anywhere near her face for defense) and it is all about submissions. But I've never attended her dojo or seen her train, so I really can't judge her years of training from just a few techniques she's shown me.

Another note: The IKMF techniques on the video (law enforcement) are very different than the US Krav techniques for civilians.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/27/06 06:12 PM

Quote:

I think one answer to your question about why you don't see people sparring in Krav in more videos is probably because sparring isn't what Krav is about. It isn't about two people standing toe to toe exchanging blows for a long period of time. Many of the defeneses are reactions to an attack which set the defender up to quickly attack and then get away.

Point made. Now counterpoint:

Bad guys are going to resist our efforts on the street right? Of course they are, especially if they initiated contact. Now, how much do you think they’re going to resist? 5%? 20%? Maybe they’ll resist 75%? Actually they will resist us by 100 percent of their efforts. The good one’s will anyway and those are the only people we should really be concerned about.

My point is, if the BAD guys are going to resist us by 100 percent, then our training partners probably should too, in order to prepare us for the realities of physical conflict.

That is sparring. Sparring doesn’t have to be limited to endless rounds of tag. You can allow both sides to have objectives -- like to knocking each other out, which would be just like a real street fight. You can have OTHER objectives as well. However, the objectives should be equally sought for by both training partners and, efforts should be made to RESIST and DEFEND against the efforts of our training partners. Just like what would happen in a real fight. And that my friend, is sparring.

Cooperating with your partners to make sure that their technique is “effective” isn’t realistic. Bad guys don’t cooperate. Neither should your partners when you train. That said, sparring can be done progressively, but it should be done. Otherwise you’re only “role playing”. And again, bad guys won’t play along. They have their own objectives – which AREN’T making you “look good” when you execute your technique.

Quote:

People do spar in Krav, but perhaps they just don't bother to make vidoes of it. I am a beginner at sparring and I suck at it, so I'm sure not going to post a video. If you think about it, other MA's have tournaments, so of course you will get a lot of footage of sparring. Krav doesn't have tournaments, so you'll have less footage.

Point made. MY point was, that now in the year 2006, I’ve yet to see KM guys and Systema guys produce a video that shows sparring. Everything has been demonstration work. Which is fine. It does look really “pretty” and fancy. I just want to see uncooperative training.

Quote:

I'm not really sure what it is that you are looking for from Krav. Real videos where Krav practicioners start fights "on the street" to prove how effective the techniques are?

No, just partners who resist the efforts of their training partners. Nothing more and nothing less.

Quote:

Many of the Krav attacks would be very detrimental to your training partner...are you saying that you'd like to see someone actually fishhook their partner and rip their cheek open to make the training more authentic?

What I’m saying is, if you can’t actually pull it off in practice, you can’t know that you’ll pull it off in application. You “play like you practice” in other words. If you’re just “pretending” in training, how do you know you won’t “pretend” in a real fight?

Quote:

I assume you don't mean that. Sometimes I bite my training partner if I can reach when grappling. How hard should I bite to make it more realistic? Should I keep biting until they bleed? (yuck, no way!)

Enough to know how your partner is going to react FOR REAL. If you pretend to bite, does he pretend to REACT? See my point? That’s called “role playing”. It isn’t good for developing functional skill.

Thanks and good luck!

-John
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 09:06 AM

Do you know any one who takes Krav Maga? Have you ever taken a class? You cannot base the systems worth just on demo videos. You guys are killing me with this stuff, every one bashes demo videos because they look fake or the don't seem real. It's a demo, of course it's not real. The victim knows how he might be attacked, and the attacker knows how the victims going to defend. What martial art or self defense program does your idea of real sparring? Most people have to get up and go to work the next day, they usually don't want to get a black eye or broken arm the night before. In sparring class everything goes, groin kicks, punches and kicks to the face and head, take downs, and fighting on the ground. We train as close to reality as possible with out injury. If you get hurt in class, how can you defend on the street? When you have learned the techniques, you get attacked harder and faster, with resistence. Trust me, it looks nothing like the demo videos!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 09:33 AM

I agree. The keyword is "demo". I can't recall any demo vid that displays a real attack situation. Let's face it, how can they when noone knows how/when they will be attacked on the streets. We train as hard and real as we can, like Dedicated said, and try not to get hurt.

In my mind a demo is just displaying the technique and how they can be applied. I would not base any art, system off of a demo, because they are for show. imo.

And happy friday everyeone.
Posted by: Galen

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 11:55 AM

Quote:

Um...seriously????

To be perfectly honest, I dont know why anyone would post a video unless they felt it was representative of their style.

Especially posting it here, where many of the viewers have a martial arts background.

To be honest, none of these videos were anywhere close to impressive. Staged attacks, lack of dynamic attackers...

Just seems to be a re-hash of so many other styles of self defense.

Dont take this the wrong way. I am not bashing Krav. I have never taken a class nor do I know anyone who has.

What I am doing is bashing these videos. Almost to a one, they are unimpressive and I think do a disservice to anyone who represents the style well.

Galen
Posted by: stvb7

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 03:30 PM

Quote: "Bad guys are going to resist our efforts on the street right? ...Actually they will resist us by 100 percent of their efforts. The good one’s will anyway and those are the only people we should really be concerned about."

I agree with you that our partners should EVENTUALLY be resisting us 100%. But I don't think that they should be doing that right off the bat. I don't think that people who are relatively new to any self defense method should always be going 100%. It is counterproductive and demoralizing. First you learn how to do the technique, then you increase the resistence of your opponents.

Quote:"Sparring doesn’t have to be limited to endless rounds of tag. You can allow both sides to have objectives -- like to knocking each other out, which would be just like a real street fight. You can have OTHER objectives as well. However, the objectives should be equally sought for by both training partners and, efforts should be made to RESIST and DEFEND against the efforts of our training partners. Just like what would happen in a real fight. And that my friend, is sparring."

I agree that what you are saying would be the closest thing to a real fight. But I have to admit that I am no where near ready to have that happen. I'm still afraid to get punched in the head, and when I get hit too hard in the head it [censored] me off...A LOT. I know that our training is meant to bring us up to a level where we can go hard, but that takes time, regardless of what MA you do. I don't know if I'm ever going to want to go against someone larger than me and say "ok, we'll go until one of us is unconsious!" I seriously doubt it. What's the point of taking self defense if I've been beaten to a pulp worse in class than if I were attacked on the street? I think that there has to be a middle ground in this. I watch MMA fights, and I'm sure that they don't go 100% every day every practice "fight until someone gets knocked out". They'd be too injured to fight if they did that.

Quote: "Cooperating with your partners to make sure that their technique is “effective” isn’t realistic. Bad guys don’t cooperate. Neither should your partners when you train. "

I partially agree with this statement, as long as it is tempered by "sparring can be done progressively". When we learn a new technique it doesn't just take me 3 tries to get it perfect. In Krav you and your partner communicate about the level of resistence you want. Some people take a lot longer to get the idea, so they have to have a partner that is not resisting at first. Eventually you and your partner should be going full speed. Like any other martial system, Krav is only as advanced as the practicioner.

Quote: "Point made. MY point was, that now in the year 2006, I’ve yet to see KM guys and Systema guys produce a video that shows sparring. Everything has been demonstration work. Which is fine. It does look really “pretty” and fancy. I just want to see uncooperative training."

Can't help you there. But I do agree that the videos posted were not very impressive.

Quote: "What I’m saying is, if you can’t actually pull it off in practice, you can’t know that you’ll pull it off in application. You “play like you practice” in other words. If you’re just “pretending” in training, how do you know you won’t “pretend” in a real fight?"

I would take the other side of this and say that just because I haven't done the full manuever in practice (ex: I've never raked someones eyes out with my nails, I aim for the forehead w/out nails) doesn't mean that I won't be capable of doing it in a real situation. I'm sure some will be able to and some people won't. When soldiers go off to war, they've only ever shot at targets...does that mean that they won't be able to shoot at a real person? For some yes, for some no. But I am absolutely unwilling to be the dumb training partner who gets their eyes scratched out so that someone can practice doing it.

Quote: "Enough to know how your partner is going to react FOR REAL. If you pretend to bite, does he pretend to REACT? See my point? That’s called “role playing”. It isn’t good for developing functional skill."

We are encouraged to do the attacks for real-- and to do them until the opponent lets go b/c it hurts too much. But I admit that I'm not getting someone's nasty, potentially diseased blood in my mouth unless it is a dire situation. And maybe you'd wonder if I'd actually be able to bite hard since I don't practice ripping hunks out of my friends, but I'm confident in my ability to bite. Now, whether it will get my opponent off me or not is another question.

So what it really comes down to is this, how hard do the individuals train? Just because there isn't a video on the web doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of Krav people who train just as hard and seriously as you do. From what I've heard, the black belt test involves live knife defenses and something like 50% of the people fail due to injuries (stab wounds or broken bones). That sounds pretty hard core (CRAZY) to me, but those people are in the upper levels and they like that stuff.

Baby steps. Everyone proceeds at their own pace.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 05:52 PM

Dedicated1 wrote
Quote:

Do you know any one who takes Krav Maga? Have you ever taken a class? You cannot base the systems worth just on demo videos.

In fact I do. There are two training centers nearby and I in fact already checked them out. I have NOT checked out the more advanced sessions however and I freely admit that.

Quote:

You guys are killing me with this stuff, every one bashes demo videos because they look fake or the don't seem real. It's a demo, of course it's not real. The victim knows how he might be attacked, and the attacker knows how the victims going to defend.

I was just asking where the videos of them actually sparring were. Don’t go getting all “irregular” because of a legitimate curiosity

Quote:

What martial art or self defense program does your idea of real sparring? Most people have to get up and go to work the next day, they usually don't want to get a black eye or broken arm the night before. In sparring class everything goes, groin kicks, punches and kicks to the face and head, take downs, and fighting on the ground.

Why would you think that sparring has to be taken to the extreme? I’ve not seen ANY coming from a KM source! Don’t want a black eye? Wear headgear and other suitable protection. Ever heard of those things before? WTF is up with the “black eyes and broken arms”? Who does that?

Quote:

e train as close to reality as possible with out injury. If you get hurt in class, how can you defend on the street? When you have learned the techniques, you get attacked harder and faster, with resistance. Trust me, it looks nothing like the demo videos!

I not saying otherwise. For the last time, I’m ONLY wondering where the videos of them sparring are.

stvb7 wrote
Quote:

I agree with you that our partners should EVENTUALLY be resisting us 100%. But I don't think that they should be doing that right off the bat. I don't think that people who are relatively new to any self defense method should always be going 100%. It is counterproductive and demoralizing. First you learn how to do the technique, then you increase the resistance of your opponents.

Of course you’re not going to go one hundred percent. PRO fighters don’t always go at one hundred percent. You have to use progressive resistance and variable intensity. That is the intelligent way to train and we use the same methods. It’s just a smart method of training and is beyond question.

Quote:

I agree that what you are saying would be the closest thing to a real fight. But I have to admit that I am no where near ready to have that happen. I'm still afraid to get punched in the head, and when I get hit too hard in the head it [censored] me off...A LOT. I know that our training is meant to bring us up to a level where we can go hard, but that takes time, regardless of what MA you do. I don't know if I'm ever going to want to go against someone larger than me and say "ok, we'll go until one of us is unconsious!" I seriously doubt it. What's the point of taking self defense if I've been beaten to a pulp worse in class than if I were attacked on the street? I think that there has to be a middle ground in this. I watch MMA fights, and I'm sure that they don't go 100% every day every practice "fight until someone gets knocked out". They'd be too injured to fight if they did that.

Lets clear this up and say that I am not advocating that people train like this. All I was saying is that the training had better look different than every last one of the KM video clips that I have seen. That’s all.

Quote:

I partially agree with this statement, as long as it is tempered by "sparring can be done progressively". When we learn a new technique it doesn't just take me 3 tries to get it perfect. In Krav you and your partner communicate about the level of resistance you want. Some people take a lot longer to get the idea, so they have to have a partner that is not resisting at first. Eventually you and your partner should be going full speed. Like any other martial system, Krav is only as advanced as the practitioner.

That is true with ANYTHING. Everyone should train at the level and pace that they are comfortable with. I have never stated otherwise.

Quote:

Can't help you there. But I do agree that the videos posted were not very impressive.

MY point exactly. I’ve not been impressed with anything that I’ve seen yet. I mean, sure, it “looks” pretty and “appears” like its’ effective against that guy who was completely playing along….ya know what I mean? I wasn’t saying anything about the art itself because honestly, I don’t know a great deal about it other than what I have seen so far (which isn’t a great deal). People will have to PARDON me for my natural skepticism and curiosity.

Quote:

I would take the other side of this and say that just because I haven't done the full manuever in practice (ex: I've never raked someones eyes out with my nails, I aim for the forehead w/out nails) doesn't mean that I won't be capable of doing it in a real situation.

No question. But that doesn’t mean that you WILL either. You may “think” that you can or will. Just like Mike Tyson once said, “Everyone has a plan, until they get hit”. That’s one of the FEW things that he ever said that made much sense -- but there’s no getting around the truth of that statement. The other guy always has a little bit to say about our plans in a fight.

Quote:

We are encouraged to do the attacks for real-- and to do them until the opponent lets go b/c it hurts too much. But I admit that I'm not getting someone's nasty, potentially diseased blood in my mouth unless it is a dire situation. And maybe you'd wonder if I'd actually be able to bite hard since I don't practice ripping hunks out of my friends, but I'm confident in my ability to bite. Now, whether it will get my opponent off me or not is another question.

So what it really comes down to is this, how hard do the individuals train? Just because there isn't a video on the web doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of Krav people who train just as hard and seriously as you do. From what I've heard, the black belt test involves live knife defenses and something like 50% of the people fail due to injuries (stab wounds or broken bones). That sounds pretty hard core (CRAZY) to me, but those people are in the upper levels and they like that stuff.

Baby steps. Everyone proceeds at their own pace.

I have always agreed that everyone progresses at their own pace. I also agree with just about everything you’ve written.

I just want to see Kravists spar and wrestle around, resisting each other. MMA style training, in other words.

-John
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 09:39 PM

JK, I don't know about oyu or anyone else on here, but I know that I'll bite, scratch anbd rip a person apart if I need to in a fight whether I've trained for that or not. Just because certain techniques can't be practiced full power or completely "alive" doesn't mean they should be forgotten. If a technique is effective then use it, even biting. I'm sure Bruce Lee probably didn't practice biting full force yet he recommended be prepared to do it if need be.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/28/06 10:10 PM

Quote:

JK, I don't know about you or anyone else on here, but I know that I'll bite, scratch and rip a person apart if I need to in a fight whether I've trained for that or not.

I don’t disagree with you. In fact, I would whole-heartedly agree. I would do the same thing. I just believe in having a legitimate game in place before I start thinking about foul tactics as fight stoppers.

Quote:

Just because certain techniques can't be practiced full power or completely "alive" doesn't mean they should be forgotten. If a technique is effective then use it, even biting. I'm sure Bruce Lee probably didn't practice biting full force yet he recommended be prepared to do it if need be.

I agree yet again! However I believe that my stance is simply misunderstood by most. I’m not in opposition to the use of biting and scratching, etc.. But those things do not require practice or skill to do. There is no “art” behind biting and scratching. You simply don’t need to be “taught” how to bite, scratch or be generally aggressive. Those things are inherent in our nature. What we DO need is legitimate SKILL.

But what does biting and scratching have to do with Krav Maga videos?

-John

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 07/29/06 09:54 PM

What if because of training your "game" you lose sight of the effectiveness and possibility of using foul tactics? I think there's a chance you may forget them by developing the habit of using "sport" tactics and I use the term sport for lack of a better word, not to say that those methods are ineffective or anything because I know they are.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/18/06 05:12 AM

http://www.kravmaga-zgora.republika.pl/

itsall in polish, but these videos are seriously the best krav videos ive seen on the internet. simply awesome. just click on any of the four tabs on the right of the screen, and you can watch some awesome vids. :-)
enjoy

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/18/06 08:08 AM

Stormdragon wrote
Quote:

What if because of training your "game" you lose sight of the effectiveness and possibility of using foul tactics? I think there's a chance you may forget them by developing the habit of using "sport" tactics

Foul tactics are easily deliverable from a all delivery systems. Training those delivery systems in an athletic way has nothing to do with whether foul tactics are trained or not. Regardless of that point, you’re only pretending to use them when you train one way or the other. No one is *really* going into their partners eyes or crushing their testicles…you’re only pretending to do so.

Quote:

and I use the term sport for lack of a better word, not to say that those methods are ineffective or anything because I know they are.

Define “sport tactic” if you would. Would you consider breaking someone’s arm, dislocating a shoulder or choking someone unconscious a “sport tactic”?

-John

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/20/06 11:50 AM

Wait a sec who cares if it's "pretend" anyway? I mean what makes it less effective if a few techniques are simulated?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/21/06 06:07 PM

I would define sport tactics as a way to set up a technique which if were being applied in a real situation would be set up with a small move or a feint. Usually such small nuances are not allowed in sparring or competition. Which is why when pulling off big oves like arm bars you have two competitors responding and reacting aggressively.

These smal techniques are very basic and easy to apply and by no means do they require endless practice such as the techniques used in sparring. Which is why I believe sparring is a very important aspect of training.

To answer your last question whether I consider arm locks and choking a sport tactic, I consider the manuevers used to apply such techniques as sport tactics. Because obviously durring sparring or competition there is a limit in the way you approach setting up these techniques.

The techniques themslves are apprpriate for sparring and competition (sport) because they can be controlled, just like many striking techniquss such s punches and kicks can be controlled.

There in lies the difference between sport and fighting.

While breaking someones arm or dislocating a shoulder is certainly a consequence or possibility in a grappling match, the actual goal is to win, usually by tapping out.

My intention is not to argue but to try to answer your question and for me to better understand it myself as I try to describe it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/23/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

Wait a sec who cares if it's "pretend" anyway? I mean what makes it less effective if a few techniques are simulated?

I wouldn't like to bet my self protection on techniques which are only pretend. Evidently not everyone thinks the way I do. Much like John, I like to see that techniques work in an environment where you have to make them work, where they don't work themselves.

Admittedly, small joint manipulation is not allowed in many MMA matches, but that doesn't mean that they can not be trained as part of a good resistant training programme. I've heard of people using wristlocks as part of their BJJ.

What specific techniques other than that are prohibited by "sport" sparring which are permitted in KM training?

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/24/06 10:32 AM

Quote:

What specific techniques other than that are prohibited by "sport" sparring which are permitted in KM training?

regular groin strikes. granted, the recever wheres a groin gaurd, but we regualrly train to hit in the balls, both when learning the techniques, and when sparring.

that would not be allowed in a 'sport' environemnt
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/24/06 11:16 AM

I see, that's quite a difference indeed.

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 09/25/06 10:45 AM

Quote:

I see, that's quite a difference indeed.

Indeed

but if everyone stoped fussing about about the particulars of 'sport' vs 'realistic' sparring and what not, and enjoyed the videos

http://www.kravmaga-zgora.republika.pl/

they would see that the sparring in Krav is very cool. click on the multimedia tab. it has the best krav vids ive yet seen on the net (which was why i made this thread)
enjoy if you havnt already :-)
Posted by: erockybalboa

Re: Krav Maga Videos..... - 12/15/06 02:25 PM

http://sports.expertvillage.com/videos/krav-maga-technique.htm