Modern Army Combatatives Program

Posted by: SEAL

Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/21/06 09:01 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1462151077277855734&q=bjj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsO8vJhnIb8

Pretty Good.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/21/06 10:19 PM

Looks like some pretty solid hand to hand training. Good stuff. my problem with it, is it really smart to teach soldiers a sport oriented system like BJJ?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 11:26 AM

Looks like good stuff, but I wonder how widespread this type of training really will be. Any active military here that can comment?

StormDragon -

There is nothing "sporting" about a properly executed submission. Plus, the resistant mindset you get from that type of training may boost the confidence of the soldiers using it.

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 12:33 PM

What I mean is, soldiers should be learning more brutal and violent techniques to end an unarmed situation quick. attcks to the eyes, throat, groin, ears, and vulnerable point striking, bone breaks, etc. Not how to take a guy down and roll around on the floor with htem, it's really bad for all out combat in a warzone. And it is sporterized, otherwise they would allow those dirty techniques.

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 12:35 PM

I think ground and pound stategy would be much more useful to a soldier. they should still be learning Fairbairn styl h2h in my opinion.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 12:39 PM

Uhhhh......BJJ is nothing but chokes and bone breaks. How is that "sporting"? Don't assume the guys will let go when the enemy taps.

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 12:48 PM

I guess oyur right, I didn't think of it that way.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 01:14 PM

Quote:

I think ground and pound stategy would be much more useful to a soldier. they should still be learning Fairbairn styl h2h in my opinion.

They do. The difference is that now they have a functional delivery system to launch those techniques from that addresses the ground and can be practiced in a competitive environment for the purposes of fitness and fighting spirit.

Now you have more average soldiers actually training where before, you were hard pressed to find anyone training who was not an instrucor. The old manuals collected dust on the shelves.

This is modeled after what the Russian Military did with Sambo.

Re: Modern Army Combatatives Program - 05/26/06 01:28 PM

Yeah, I guess oyur right, it does help to be able to do "live training" and develope that fighting spirit and competitive attitude in competition.