Krav in LI, New York

Posted by: cronin

Krav in LI, New York - 04/14/06 05:22 PM

Hello,
I was curious to hear from any folks who currently train in KM in Long Island, New York. Where do you train and how is it going?

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: SEAL

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 04/14/06 07:03 PM

Hello,

Nice to talk to a fellow Long Islander. I don't train in krav Maga yet. I intend to very, very soon. I checked out kmli.com. Their official name is Kombat Masters of Long Island and they're located in Hicksville. Another good school to check out, which is exclusive to our area is V-Force Scientific Fighting Concepts, located in Franklin Square. It's another popular combatative that is exclusive to our area. Check out the forum on the aforementioned Krav Maga site. You can talk directly to the instructors and relay to them any concerns or questions you may have about their school or Krav Maga. Is this your first venture into martial arts or are you an experienced martial artist?

Take care and good luck.

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 04/15/06 11:16 AM

Hello Seal:

Thanks for the reply! I've practiced kickboxing/muay thai for several years and recently been doing bjj--however, because of scheduling conflicts (work and becoming a new father) I can't continue bjj. So, I was looking for some place I can train along the same lines as well as fitting into my crazy schedule. I wasn't even specifically looking for a KM place, as I somehow fell upon it. After some research, and finding great info from KMLI and this awesome forum, I'm at once intrigued and excited. It somehow 'fills the hole' of some traditional arts and combat/full contact sports (w/r/t self defense and street situations).

It's funny you've mentioned KMLI as I've been on the forum (I believe I saw a SEAL there too- coincidence? ;-) as well as emailing Mozelle who's been nothing but responsive and helpful. From what I've read it sounds like a great place and the schedule is unbelievably good for me. Before, because of scheduling, I couldn't consistently train, which I'm sure you know, is a bit frustrating when you have to get past that curve after a break. And from what I've read, KM training sounds like fun (read: hard/intense).

I'm going to schedule an intro very soon so, if I make it before you, I'll tell you how it goes!
Posted by: Plantman

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 04/16/06 01:39 PM

Former Israeli Defense force instructor Boaz Aviram teaches in NY, look him up at kravmaganewyork.net

Doesn't get any better than that.
Posted by: SEAL

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 04/16/06 04:41 PM

I'd love to train with someone like that! But me and cronin live far from where he trains.

Yea, definitely get back to me about the place. I also have a situation with work; so, I'm waiting in limbo 'till that clears up. These combatatives are amazing. I recall one guy on the kmli forum who did Aikido for 12 years and said this was much better.

I've been doing a lot of research on combatatives like Krav Maga and I can't wait to join. At one time, I considered training in Aikido. I saw a class and soon realized this is not for me. There is no sparring and I didn't see any of the techniques that day applied to resisting opponents.

What is your pleasure for Krav Maga? Are you looking for self-defense or sport?

TK

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 04/17/06 09:44 AM

Plantman- thanks for the link, but Seal's right, it's a bit of a hike.

Seal- I'm going to see how this week looks for an intro and let you know. I guess what really interested me in KM and combatives in general is the self defense aspect and its mindset w/r/t different street situations. BJJ is great and its techniques are excellent, but the club where I go to is more sport-oriented. Which is not to say it's bad at all (hopefully, I intend to continue once I have more time and money). I think right now-for me, since I'm at a point where I need to think about my family and as well as my own self-preservation. But I'm also very interested in ma, fitness and competition. I think KM will cover everything and shed some light as to what to do in certain situations.

Re: First class at KMLI - 04/19/06 09:34 AM

Hey Seal (and anyone who's interested)
Had my KM intro class Monday night. Michael Blitz, President and Chief Instructor at KMLI, greeted me at the door while the Level 1 class was about to start. He's very personable and articulate, which is great for any newbie. Surprisingly, the place itself was smaller than I expected, but that feeling faded once the class started. And, it's a testament to the school when it's packed on a Monday night (around 14 total- 12 guys and 2 girls).

The class started with a warmup and stretching- something of what you'd expect and from what I've experienced from both BJJ and thaiboxing warmups: bodyweight exercises with reps counted down and repeated in circuits. The stragglers coming in late were reprimanded by Michael much like a drill sargeant who would 'punish' recruits for being late-- giving them more and more pushups and squats until they surrendered.

We then paired up for combatives which is similar to pad training in thaiboxing, with the exception is that I was aiming for a kick to the person's groin. 20 reps, switch feet, 20 reps, then one/ two punch, 20 reps, then your partner has a turn. (BTW- you may want to bring your own pair of bag/grappling gloves/or handwraps as my knuckles are pretty raw today.) What was refreshing was that there was little fixing on form from my part, however, I had to adapt my arm swing (old thai boxing habit) when I kicked to keeping them both up. Michael encouraged, pushed and made corrections when needed as he walked around the class. This went on for a good 15 minutes or so, with variations on count, hands and most importantly, movement of the pad holder. To finish up, we went onto hand blocking- sort of forearm blocking the other's overhand (haymaker type) open hand strikes to your head and face, but always trying to get inside position after blocking.

Then it was on to technique- which reminded me of bjj training. We did a standing side headlock defense that involved 1) step to attacker's front and palm strike to his groin 2) cranking the attacker's head back with your hand by way of a finger to the nose (upwards pressure to the septum or sinus cavity). Subsequently, if done right, this led to the attacker bending his head back, leaving his throat open for a strike and/or subsequently, falling backwards. There were Level 2's there who already had this down. Lucky for me, my partner was a level 2 that broke it down for me when we drilled it. After awhile, it started to flow. Then we trained the other side and switched. Afterwards, Micheal threw in a stress drill- grouped up 3 people- one doing the same defense on the attacker, this time the downed attacker is mounted with the third. The third starts open-hand striking to the face and head when in mount and the person on the bottom defends with forearm blocks for 20 seconds and then switches with someone else. This was a nonstop drill for five minutes. The technique training seemed to be around 20 minutes or more.

The last drill seemed to be a handfighting/wrestling/grappling drill- we partnered up and went head to head, both in pushup position and tried to make the other person fall with just the use of our hands- so armdrags, picks, feints, whatever, to get the other person to drop on his/her face. The loser would have to do 10 pushups. Subsequently, the final drill was pushups, as many as you could, until Michael said you could stop.

We lined up, Michael made announcements to a yellow belt seminar and also mentioned my being there and congratualing me on holding my own with the rest of the others- it's a nice touch for any newbie (or seasoned practitioner) to be recognized and I know, now, why there's such a close sense of community at this place.

As you probably guessed, it was a good intro and I'm signing up as soon as my night time schedule lets up (within a week or so). As for me, I like that it took what I liked from my previous ma experience and also made available some new and 'dirty' tricks to my repertoire. I like that it includes a fight class, power punch class and a Kombat Women's class- something that my wife could easily take under my membership (if I went with the annual). I like that belts are given upon merit and skillsets-sort of like bjj- which means that you can test only if and when Michael thinks you're ready.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd thought I'd give you an update (you should see the notes I take for bjj). Don't want to sound like one of those cheesy infomercial testimonials, but see it for yourself! I don't think you'd be dissapointed. It lived up to my expectations and then some.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: First class at KMLI - 04/19/06 11:18 AM

Great update, cronin. Sounds like a pretty good workout, and you enjoyed it. Keep us posted.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: First class at KMLI - 04/19/06 12:03 PM

You are going to have the time of your life....
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: First class at KMLI - 04/19/06 04:18 PM

It just keeps getting better and better! Keep at it and have fun!
Posted by: ChrisC

Newbie - 09/17/07 11:52 PM

Hello all, I am interested in learning KM. I have never really taken any martial arts before making me a total newbie. I have done some research while searching for the best suited art for me and I believe KM may be the one. I am located on Long Island and am thinking about giving KMLI a call. Can I get some input from you guys? Do they have classes for beginners like myself?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Newbie - 09/18/07 10:20 AM

I would say yes, but not sure after looking at their schedule.

http://www.kmli.com/KMLI-Schedule07.html

Sometimes the level 1 and basics are all the same class. Best bet is to call or go by and ask at the school.

HTH...
Posted by: ememjammer

Howdy from Texas - 09/20/07 03:45 AM

So I was off work and surfing and found this place and thought I would join up. I don't have much more to say right now except I need to start reading some of the older posts to get up to speed before I can start posting.

Em
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Howdy from Texas - 09/20/07 08:13 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you wouldn't mind, can you post a little infor about yourself int he beginners section? Thanks.
Posted by: Aeson

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 10/07/07 04:23 PM

http://bbeltacademy.com/

I just started and I'm hooked. Located in Ronkonkoma.
Posted by: revitup

Re: Krav in LI, New York - 11/08/07 03:47 PM

I also trained in Ronkonkoma-- it was fine. But you can only go so far in Krav there, and it ends up being diluted with Karate, etc. I found KMLI in Hicksville and the place is awesome. Totally dedicated to Krav, great instructors with a KM black belt as head instructor (very rare, I'm told). I'm having a blast and train 3 or 4 times per week. Membership rates are very reasonable also.