Grappling in Krav?

Posted by: bo-ken

Grappling in Krav? - 04/14/06 04:03 PM

I was wondering if you could relate the grappling in Krav Maga to any other style what would it be?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/14/06 04:18 PM

My understanding was that KM did not have much grappling inherent in the system. But a lot of the instructors have picked up from various grappling arts, including BJJ, Sambo and wrestling.

I am not sure what the official grappling syllabus is in KM, or if there is one.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/14/06 09:42 PM

Dedicated1 adds quite a bit of grappling to our training. I am not sure if we do more than other schools or not..
Posted by: MartialMack

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/14/06 09:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the HQ in L.A. incorporates BJJ and JJ things...

It's kinda getting to the point where any "practical" method that's growing in popularity -- Keysi, Krav, etc. -- is starting to incorporate many of the same things... BJJ being the biggie for standing and ground grappling.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/15/06 02:19 AM

The grappling part of Krav is sort of a fall back. The whole intent is never to end up on the ground. If you end up there, you messed up and you better get back up quick.

As MattJ will attest, my ground skills involve more shear muscle power than technical skill...
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/15/06 11:36 AM

I will teach my students the Krav ground fighting techniques, but I will add in any other techniques from other MA's that can be helpful in that situation. I stress the fact that you don't want to be on the ground, the thought of grappling on pavement, rocks, broken glass, etc. doesn't put a smile on my face. As for training in additional MA's? I think of it as having a second job, the moneys great, but it can burn you out. You just need to weigh everything out. If you can do it, go for it!
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/15/06 12:45 PM

Hey thanks a lot guys. I am a big fan of stand up grappling and I don't like being on the ground for long. I was just wondering if Krav training was the same and now I see that it varies.
Posted by: MartialMack

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/15/06 03:14 PM

IMO, it just seems logical that all of the fighting ranges and/or situations should be given full attention. Creating a "flow" between ranges and adaptability is a priori. I probably sound like I'm spouting off JKD talk, but no matter how good your standup fighting is, you don't want to be screwed if you go to the ground. If somehow you come up against a skilled fighter who has turned to the "dark side," there's probably a decent chance you'll end up on the ground. And if you're not a big person and the other person is, you better know how to handle the ground if it ends up there. Obviously I think the emphasis should be placed on training to the max for avoiding ground, but training to the max includes everything.
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/18/06 11:20 AM

I talked to someone in the IDF about this subject a year ago. She had told me that allot of people cross-train with Muy Thai not any Ground fighting arts in Israel. In the USA is common to cross-train with BJJ.., but in her experience and others the ground is the last place to be. Look at the context of Krav's application.. is it a UFC ring or a army officer working at a check point. Her words were something like, if I have to roll on the ground with someone it means I am dead. Her other point was that on the ground eye gouging is very easy and practical. Being a round fighter and having good self-defense skills are two very different things.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Grappling in Krav? - 04/18/06 10:54 PM

That makes sense, considering battlefields aren't generally the place to engage in grappling (I don't actually KNOW that, just speculating). In my Krav classes, we don't learn so much grappling as how to simply survive on the ground. How to defend from downward punches, how to get out of the way - my sifu often says that grabbing a nut or biting is the best way to shock an attacker enough to get yourself out from under them. This is especially true for rape victims, as rapists seem to seldom expect resistance. It's been said before but I'll say it again - KM is SD and not an "adaptable" art to sport fighting. BJJ, although an incredible art, is much more sport-oriented (these days) and is of a different philosophy than Krav. I'll say from experience though, that training both simultaneously is a LOT of fun!