HMMMMMM

Posted by: mean_fighter

HMMMMMM - 03/31/06 11:44 AM

HEY! for all you krav guys out there!...........how does the grading system go in your art? and who invented it? Thanks!
Posted by: RangerG

Re: HMMMMMM - 03/31/06 07:48 PM

Quote:

HEY! for all you krav guys out there!...........how does the grading system go in your art? and who invented it? Thanks!

Since I struggle to maintain a B+ average, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer...

If you scroll back a bit in the threads, there are a couple on this very subject.

We run Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown and Black. The Krav Blue belt is generaly accepted as equil to a Karate Black Belt. Our Yellow belt test can run up to 5 very brutal hours, the Blue belt test is two days. Compared to any other MA or Defense system, there are very few folks with a Krav Black Belt...much less a second or third degree.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: HMMMMMM - 03/31/06 08:00 PM

Whoa there pilgrim!!! How much trainig does it take to get to blue belt? black belt?

Quote:

The Krav Blue belt is generaly accepted as equil to a Karate Black Belt.

I'm sure it is...by krav guys,lol.

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 06:43 AM

The test alone is 3 full days plus. Name me a traditional form where the basic black belt test is 3 days? In fact, name me a form where the yellow belt is 3-5 hours?

This comparison of belt testing is from folks who hold belts in both Krav and a traditional form. I am only repeating what I have heard discussed many times by multiple belt holders....not just Krav folks.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 08:12 AM

Hey Brian,

it is also said that a BJJ blue belt is roughly the same as a karate black belt. But who cares about belts. I care about proficiency. Keep training!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 10:30 AM

In my opinion tests shouldn't last 3 days o whatever,what's the point? Before testing my students I already know where they are and what they know. The test is just a formality really.

Longer test equals moore skill?

I just think that saying is a gross overgeneralization. You might as well be saying krav is better than karate.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 10:43 AM

OK, we have 2 massive generalizations going on here:

* Karate is all taught the same way - not true

* Belt rank has anything to do with fighting ability - pretty rare

Not taking sides, just making an observation.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 02:40 PM

Brian,

It seems to be more of a mental test than anything. Can you mentally keep yourself motivated to continue for 3-5 hours, days etc.

From my limited interaction with Krav Maga and RBSD it not only deals with requirements (punches, kicks, locks, fighting) but also delves into stressful situations (scenerios), adrenal stress, etc. To me it would make sense to make this a major part of the testing... pushing the students to be very uncomfortable via hard long tests and pushing them mentally.

Does this make it better than karate? No. It is just the way they do it.

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 03:59 PM

Quote:

Brian,

It seems to be more of a mental test than anything. Can you mentally keep yourself motivated to continue for 3-5 hours, days etc.

From my limited interaction with Krav Maga and RBSD it not only deals with requirements (punches, kicks, locks, fighting) but also delves into stressful situations (scenerios), adrenal stress, etc. To me it would make sense to make this a major part of the testing... pushing the students to be very uncomfortable via hard long tests and pushing them mentally.

Does this make it better than karate? No. It is just the way they do it.

Correct

All the tests include at least an hour of intense cardio to physicaly and mentaly exhaust you before testing. You must be proficient when you are at your worst.

The cardio continues during the testing...if you are not being tested at any given moment, you are doing cardio until you drop. During the testing you are being attacked by extra instructors who walk around with pads, gloves, etc..

Not saying Krav is better...just how we test.

The instructors tests are much worse... I was there for Dedicated1's instructors test. I ended up being a partner for one of the other instructors who did not have a partner.
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/01/06 10:05 PM

WOW! EVERY TIME I OPEN A THREAD WITH A Q................THERES AN ARGUMENT! AND I DONT KNOW WHEN TO COMR BACK IN! lol jk!
Posted by: SEAL

Re: HMMMMMM - 04/02/06 03:03 AM

Yes, I wouldn't consider the exhaustive tests a formality in KM. The test is more mental than physical. Why do they push everyone so hard during HELL week in BUD/s training for Navy SEALs (and all weeks for tha matter)? Because they are training men for battle and they must be elite even at their worst. The tests in KM are an extension of that idea, I believe.