Difference Between Krav Maga and Jeet kune do

Posted by: heyimkyle

Difference Between Krav Maga and Jeet kune do - 03/06/06 09:46 PM

Im starting Krav maga this week if all goes well. Over the summer im going to throw in some brazilian ju jitsu as well. However in a year or so im going to be going to college and they offer jeet kune do(the class is labeled "self defense/ martial arts" as a PE class for credit. Now from my understanding Krav maga and jeet kune do are based off of the same premise "USE WHAT WORKS" so if they both "use what works" wouldnt they be almost the same system? Also if i get at least a year in with krav maga and then start cross training with jkd what kind of fighter am i going to turn out to be? i personally have never heard anyone use the KM/JKD combo.(maybe because they are almost the same thing and its pointless to do both?) any insight would be great -thanks
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Difference Between Krav Maga and Jeet kune do - 03/07/06 01:44 PM

JKD is more a set of concepts while KM is a self defense system. At the core of JKD is the philosophy that an MAist shouldn't limit himself to specific styles, forms etc. and always expand. "Using what works". Read RangerG's description of KM in this forum if you want to know what it's about. And as for what kind of fighter you'll be? That's totally up to you.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Difference Between Krav Maga and Jeet kune do - 03/07/06 05:55 PM

What an accurate response...