Systema of Tampa Bay

Posted by: Eric4444

Systema of Tampa Bay - 02/20/06 12:27 AM

Does anyone have any information on this school? The instructor is Alan Carregal, apparently it's located just outside Tampa in Temple Terrace. I won't be able to visit it until April, and would like to know if the visit will be worth it. I only have a couple days in April to visit all the good martial arts schools in Tampa, I'll be going to college there in the fall.
I might as well ask, does anyone know if there are any Krav Maga schools in Tampa?
Posted by: saleem

Re: Systema of Tampa Bay - 07/05/06 01:16 AM

Eric4444,

I am a systema student in Dallas, Tx and since I have a bias toward systema, I can give a litte info there. I have not met Alan Carregal but I think he is certified to teach. I have met Sonny Pulzikas (http://www.russiancombatacademy.com), of Sarasota and he is an ex Soviet commando and he has a good teaching style. If you can spend some time with him, do so. Otherwise Alan will still be an excellent choice. KM and sytema both aim to equip the practitioner with skills of self-defense and it is up to the person how far he/she commits to it. Personally Km would be my next choice after systema because of its hard-hitting and agressive outlook. However what I saw in Systema is that it can be hard-hitting when the person needs it to be, finesse is where a person applies the force necessary and not go past into overkill. I would like to be in control of myself under tense situations and apply what is necessary but not too much. It is just a personal preference. Finesse and sensitivity takes more effort to develop and has its rewards as well.

There is no doubt of the effectiveness of a trained person using their KM skills. Go to the Krav Maga/Combative Arts section and read under the KM philosophy thread and find out what the experienced KM folks say are the goals of the KM practitioner.

Good luck and best wishes.
Posted by: KravGuy101

Re: Systema of Tampa Bay - 09/10/07 01:19 PM

Hey bud, Krav Maga is offered at Premier Martial Arts in Land O Lakes Fl, Ive taken classes there and the instructors are great, its an incredible workout and a helluva good time. Their Number is 813 948 4844, its on the corner of Collier Parkway and State Road 54 in the Kmart shopping center. Give them a call and get a free week of classes!
Posted by: shihansteve

Re: Systema of Tampa Bay - 04/22/08 11:35 PM

No Advertising please.
Posted by: AikiD

Re: Systema - 04/27/08 02:07 PM

Anyone aware of Systema training in the Orlando or Clermont area??

Thank you
Posted by: Mark_Jakabcsin

Re: Systema - 05/01/08 07:42 AM

FYI, Sonny moved to Dallas awhile back. Marc Bersee is teaching in Sarasota. For Orlando I suggest 1) calling Vladimir and asking him if anyone is there. While there is not an instructor listed there might be a study group. 2) Post your information in the 'Training Partners' section of Vlad's site so others can find you. This is a good resource, it will take time but I have found it to be helpful.

Take care,

Mark J.

Re: Systema - 05/01/08 12:11 PM

Thanks Mark.

I trained with Marc B. and found it good. There is an Alan in Tampa who is listed as a trained but he never answers emails which makes me question his profesionalism in all areas, including systema. I will go you route. Thanks again.
Posted by: Mark_Jakabcsin

Re: Systema - 05/01/08 04:13 PM

Well I do not think it is wise to evaluate his professionalism based on his non-response. Honestly you have no way of knowing if he is getting the emails. I know my spam filter cuts out a good deal of emails. While I go through the spam list and try to pick out the emails I think are not spam I am sure I miss them on occassion. I am always surprised at the subject lines some folks use for their first correspondence, like "HI". Tell me that doesn't look like spam. Delete!

I also note that Alan has a phone number listed on Vlad's site, have you called it? Is it a good number? If not try calling Vladimir and asking for updated contact info.

Best of luck.

Mark J.

Re: Systema - 05/02/08 02:38 PM

You are right Mark. It just gets a little frustrating when one does not address emails. Neither me nor a friend of mine in Sarasota get replies. My thinking is how are you in one area is how you are in all areas.

Anyway, I will call and check it out. Thanks agan
Posted by: DO123

Re: Systema - 06/01/08 07:31 AM

My experience was similar to the this persons. The individual who owns Systema of Tampa Bay is a time waster. I attempted to set up training with him and while promising to return calls and emails, never did. It was very disrespectful to say the least.

However, I did find 2 individuals who were extremely professional. Marc who teaches in Sarasota and David who teaches in W. Palm Beach were as kind and professional as anyone out there. Both addressed my questions and returned both calls and emails. Marc Breese went out of his way to set up a 4 hour training.

Bottom line, fret not my friend. There are good people in FL who teach Systema. Look for Sarasota and WPB. There are probably others as well. Just not in Tampa yet.
Posted by: Bresee

Re: Systema - 09/04/08 02:46 PM

Hi Saleem, Mark

The instructor in Tampa is a good guy but hard to get ahold of sometimes. Tho I hear he is now offering a regular training program.

If you are close to Sarasota, please stop in and train with us here.

Marc Bresee
Systema Sarasota ...google it :-)