Yall thoughts/comments on this...

Posted by: JasonM

Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/18/06 11:00 AM

I was curious what everything had to say abou this article and some of the harsh comments about KM. I especially want to hear from the more experienced on this one..

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=322761

Thanks everyone..
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/18/06 09:08 PM

It sounds like the same old thing. Some of those posts are from people who don't have a clue. The kind of people you see in the bar half drunk acting like an ass and looking for a fight. I pay them no mind. The others are involved with the Israeli version of Krav, that will be an on going battle since most of them don't agree with the US version. The whole "we're better than you!" thing is getting old. If you like the system your in, you enjoy what your learning and doing, than thats enough. Stick with it, and take all negative things with a grain of salt. If your not a politician, stay out of the politics. I enjoy what I do, I have had the chance to prove the system works on the street. That's good enough for me.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/19/06 09:56 AM

On the first page it appears there are more folks from other forms who are supporting Krav, than bashing it.

Those that attack it seem to do so with an almost rabid foaming at the mouth hatred. Makes one wonder what axe they have to grind.

It appears to be the same comments I have seen here and elsewhere. It should also be noted that many of those folks were comparing Krav to MMA...not exactly apples and oranges.

Dedicated1 noted he had real world experience...I would think fighting off 6 Communist Skinheads would qualify as real world experience...and lets just say he was NOT any of the folks laying on the ground crying they were hurt.

I had one recent incident where two larger males approached me from different directions while I was getting into my truck. I was aware of them, and when they approached my danger zone, I turned and went into my defensive position..hands up. The lead individual turned off and joined his associate and they left the area. Not sure what the intent was, but I was taking no chances.

Check the attached link:

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/l...mp;addvid=73117

So again...do you want an Art or do you want a Defense System?

With regard to the two Krav factions...IDF Krav was developed for Israel. LA Krav was developed for the US where the laws of what constitutes self defense are quite different. I have nothing derogatory to say about IDF Krav at all. I have the greatist respect for that group, I only wish they showed us the same respect..we are all brothers and sisters in the same system. Life is way too short to bash other people or to compare apples and oranges...I would rather spend that time training or enjoying what time I have left on this earth.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/19/06 10:10 AM

Oftentimes you have what is referred to as people who have "drank the kool-aid".

This happens in ANY segment of life and particularly martial arts. You get that with people who aren't free thinking and like to accept things on blind faith.

That is the case today with so many people involved in the MMA movement (of which I am a part).

However, I see BOTH sides of the issue. Both are important as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't be separated.

On the ONE hand you have the defense system proponents who argue that you need simple strategies and tactics for self defense situations that aren't of a "sportive" nature.

On the OTHER hand you have the MMA people who argue that you need to devote long hours to training designed to develop sound body mechanics - done by drilling against resisting opponents and lots of sparring.

As I already mentioned, I think BOTH are important. Which is why I believe those like Ryan Hoover have it going on! Their school offers Krav Maga as well as MMA all in the same place. Some of those folks do BOTH.

-John
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/19/06 12:03 PM

It is just the usual old argument between people who haven't tried it or don't like it because they're completely UFCentric. Whatever.
Posted by: casmor

Re: Yall thoughts/comments on this... - 02/22/06 07:37 PM

I think the comments on those posts are from people focused in MMA and training in a more competitive, sport-like way. I think that remarks as: "you can't use the more violent techniques of KM in a MMA match" make it clear. Besides most of the posts come from people who accept not being familiar with KM, so I don't think they should be taken in consideration too seriously, as you are happy with what you are doing and it works for you, you shouldn't care for what other people says.