Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %?

Posted by: Neko456

Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/07/06 05:02 PM

Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what percent?
For example Most modern Karate systems cover a little bit of all ranges, Kicking 20%, Hands 40%, trapping 10%, Elbows & Knees 15%, sweep/throws/takedowns 10%, groundwork 05%. Some a little more or a less in each range.

Some other comabt arts I've approached say they train 50% striking and 50% groundwork. When you train with them they seem 30% striking, 30% clinching, 40% ground work.

How does Krav Maga slice it? Not including the cool ass rifle and shotgun disarms, U guys do!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/07/06 10:50 PM

I'm not a Krav player, but from what i've read and seen. They seem to use their hands more than their legs although they still use their legs alot. Knees and Elbows seems to be alot as well.

Quote:

groundwork 05%

did you mean 50% or 0.5%?

-Taison out
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/08/06 04:32 AM

Umm, didn't you just contradict yourself? "They user there hands more than their legs, but use their legs a lot.."

In the short time i have been training KM I feel it is equal. I don't think it is one over the other, but in a SD situation use whatever is available and works. In training if someone attacks we just goto town, whether that be 5 elbows, or 2 or 3 knees and then a few hammerfist, whatever.

Maybe some of the most esperiences KM players can chime in.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/08/06 12:25 PM

I don't know that you can divide it up. We train in hands, feet and ground. The situation dictates the response.

We train in all 3 areas 100%

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/08/06 05:27 PM

Ok you covered all your bases, now which range do you prefer to work in most of the time. And when you spar which range you perfer to spar in? What range do you have the most confidence in against equally talented person?
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/08/06 06:19 PM

By far standup. If I am on the ground, I messed up and I am fighting to get back on my feet. We train to regain our feet while under attack. In standup, I am using both hands and kicks.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to what %? - 02/08/06 06:22 PM

It isn't a matter of percentage, we train hard at everything. As for what you like to use in a fight, it is about distance. Your legs are long range weapons, your hands are medium range weapons, elbows and knees are close weapons. When fighting or sparring you need to cover your entrance and then cover your exit. So you would throw a kick on the way in, throw your combinations, and then throw a kick on the way out. It is all a matter of what situation you are in.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to wha - 02/08/06 11:53 PM

Krav doesn't have much groundwork. The mentality is, that going to the ground is less than ideal and not very practical and therefore should be avoided. There are some techniques that deal with if you get knocked down or takled, but it's designed more for getting back up as opposed to actually fighting on the ground.

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to wha - 02/09/06 11:17 AM

Ok thats the type info I was looking for as a system what is the perferred range. We all understand how to enter and exit, but I wouldn't enter kicking on a grappler unless it was to his leg, or sweepin him. I usually use hands to stagger a grappler then exit as you mentioned with a take out kick.

How much concentration does KM give to assaulting an attacker after he on the ground. Modern Karate people seem to think that its barbaric to continue to attack a person the ground. But in a street fight a skilled person the ground is still dangerous he can incapicate you or cripple you from the ground. I understand there is a Law that must be abinded by, but I also understand the threat is not over just because you knock someone down.

If you don't practice continued assault you won't know how to handle and guy kicking at your knees and groins or trapping your neck/leg with his legs into a leg/neck break from the ground!!

Thank you all for your comments.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to wha - 02/13/06 11:51 AM

You keep attacking until he is no longer a threat.
Posted by: PSYOPS

Re: Does Krav Maga cover all the ranges and to wha - 03/13/06 06:03 PM

Bravo!

Words to live by Glock!