Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now?

Posted by: dhatcher

Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 12:30 PM

Just thought I'd start an interesting discussion about what people really are enjoying about Krav Maga?

Personally I like the no BS combative attitude. None of the high flying fancy kicks or stuff like that. Just right down to ground and pound style of thinking. To me that is very effective method of self defense. The workouts are good too!
Posted by: Lori

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 02:03 PM

My answer has a slightly different twist to it.

What I like and dislike about Krav is the same thing: It pushes me to learn things I'm not very good at...I'm waaay out of my comfort zone.
Posted by: dhatcher

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 03:54 PM

Good answer! And you're absolutely right. Every time I go to Krav I think about how difficult some of the conditioning is, but then I think again that is one of the reasons I go! To get into better condition.

Come on everyone, I see a bunch of views, but no replys. Put it out there on the table for everyone to see!
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 04:51 PM

"There is what looks cool in the dojo, and then there is what will save your life on the street" - Jeff Jimmo

This says it all for me.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 05:40 PM

Amen! I like that quote.
Posted by: umsangil

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/26/06 11:44 PM

I like Krav because the system is composed of simple effective combatives. I also like being pushed beyond what I thought was my limit.
Posted by: sadders

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/27/06 04:21 AM

For me it is the confidence krav has given me.

I have never been particularly strong or a good fighter, and since surviving a rather brutal assault 13 years ago have been rather timid.

After 18 months of krav I can now walk with my head held high knowing that if it did happen again I would not go down without a good fight.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/27/06 05:58 AM

Besides some of the things already mentioned, none of this bs with the pressure to get colorful belts, do tournaments etc. Just good, no-nonsense stuff.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/27/06 06:38 AM

I agree with the comments already mentioned on why we love krav. However, i just started Krav and learned that KM does do "colorful belts". It seems that we just don't wear them and it is refered to as level 1,2, etc... I trained in a traditional MA for about 10 years and didn't feel pressure when it was time to get another belt or be promoted. It was a great goal to achieve. Sorry if this swayed off topic a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love my traditional MA and love KM. They both have pros and cons, I think it is about taking something from both and making that material yours and having it work for you.
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/30/06 12:25 AM

I like that the techniques rely on major muscle movement versus fine motor control. With adreneline flowing through your system, that can make a huge difference particularly if you haven't had years of training behind you.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 01/30/06 04:31 PM

Quote:

I agree with the comments already mentioned on why we love krav. However, i just started Krav and learned that KM does do "colorful belts". It seems that we just don't wear them and it is refered to as level 1,2, etc... I trained in a traditional MA for about 10 years and didn't feel pressure when it was time to get another belt or be promoted. It was a great goal to achieve. Sorry if this swayed off topic a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love my traditional MA and love KM. They both have pros and cons, I think it is about taking something from both and making that material yours and having it work for you.

From what I gather, the belting and ranking system is more or less left up to the school. My school ranks the same way as a Kung Fu school would, but that's because KM is integrated with other styles. Some KM schools and instructors don't rank at all.

I love KM as a "foundation" art. I currently study Kali, Kung Fu and BJJ and find that KM has become my reference point for everything. An example would be in KF the Sifu instructs the students to go through a form as if they were fighting a live person. If I had only taken KF, I would have no idea what that means, so I rely on my basics from KM like how to actually hit someone/something or block etc. It's like studying western boxing while majoring in wing chun. The bare bones are everything.
Posted by: Rayachick

Re: Your favorite thing about Krav Maga right now? - 02/18/06 02:41 PM

I love the fact that I'm a small to average size woman and I know how to effectively get out of a bad "club" situation or street situation with maybe a few bruises but nothing worse that what my brothers used to dole out as a kid. Now, nobody wants to play with me.

I don't like the fact that where I learn is 95% men. The women that are there are so afraid of actual contact that it doesn't provide me a chance to get used to being hit either. I enjoy training with a guy, just not doing kicks with a guy. I have no weight to hold against him. my 115 lbs isn't much against a 195 lb kick. My upper body doesn't like that much force and usually caves first, no fun for me and no resistance for him. Only down side so far.