Is KM at all common among Military Personnel?

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 01/13/06 10:54 AM

I'm actually wondering that, because KM is up there alongside Trad. Karate for what I want my new style to be.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 01/13/06 01:09 PM

While there is no "official" MA for the US military, I have run into quite a few military folks and military contractors at Krav and Krav related seminars. As I understand it from them, if they want to train, the do so at their own expense and on their own time.

Just how "common" it is with US Military folks, I am not quite sure.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 01/13/06 01:32 PM

I agree, the military seem to pick it up on their own. At the KM school in my area there are several military folks, some active and some retired, or got out.
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 01/14/06 10:13 PM

Quote:

While there is no "official" MA for the US military, I have run into quite a few military folks and military contractors at Krav and Krav related seminars. As I understand it from them, if they want to train, the do so at their own expense and on their own time.

Yeah, there isn't an MA that is common to all branches of the military. The Marine Corps does have it's own MA (USMC Martial Arts Program) that was developed from 10 different styles and broken down into four fighting disciplines. I wish they had this when I was in Marines. I've been trying to figure out a way to get someone to teach me since it was developed.
Posted by: PSYOPS

Re: Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 03/13/06 01:16 AM

Quote:

Ranger,

Krav Maga National Training Center is currently training several units in the U.S. Army I believe out of Ft. Hood. I have heard from my military contacts and KMNTC that there is a potential deal in place that would make KM the ARMY'S current MA. FYI....

These are things that I have personally discussed with those who would know so I think that there is something in the works.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Is KM at all common among Military Personnel? - 03/13/06 05:34 PM

Ft. Hood. My old stomping grounds.

Ah the memories....rather old memories