serious Question on krav?

Posted by: Stormdragon

serious Question on krav? - 01/04/06 12:08 AM

on krav maga, what do you all think of it's practicality and effectiveness Overall, and weapon defenses in particular, i've heard a lot of good and bad opinions on it, personaly i really, really it but that's just me, so i was just wondering what you thought. it seems simple and effective as well as very easy to learn but i dont know. oh and do any of you have experience with krave maga in an actual confrontation and did it work?
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/04/06 09:29 AM

Krav Maga is very practical. is it effective? I belive it is. I have been in enough fights in my life to be able to tell when I am learning something that would actually be practical or not. Have I had to use KM since I started training in it? No. I havent gotten into any fights in awhile. And havent had to use any of it's techniques at work yet either.
As for weapons defenses. yes some like the gun disarms are pretty good. Although I think the knife defenses in haganah are a bit better.
Hope that helps.

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/04/06 11:25 AM

Yeah it does thanks.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/04/06 08:15 PM

A lot of people tend to lose sight of what krav is, and it's purpose. There are other forms of MA's that have cool Techniques to disarms with weapons, and if you train long enough you could master them. Krav was designed to be learned very quickly, they needed the soldiers out and fighting not spending years training. So for what Krav Maga is meant for, it is awesome. There aren't many other MA's where you could learn a new gun defense in class and then 2 hours later actually be able to perform it on the street in a real situation and actually have a chance at survival. As for using it in a real situation, I have. It wasn't pleasent but other then being bit in the shoulder, and gettin my cornia scratched I was fine. The other guy was a lot worse off, the human skull doesn't react to the pavement of a parking lot very well. The most important thing I think I have learned is that I want to avoid confrontation at all costs. You never know who your dealing with...............

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/05/06 01:00 AM

Quote:

A lot of people tend to lose sight of what krav is, and it's purpose. There are other forms of MA's that have cool Techniques to disarms with weapons, and if you train long enough you could master them. Krav was designed to be learned very quickly, they needed the soldiers out and fighting not spending years training. So for what Krav Maga is meant for, it is awesome. There aren't many other MA's where you could learn a new gun defense in class and then 2 hours later actually be able to perform it on the street in a real situation and actually have a chance at survival. As for using it in a real situation, I have. It wasn't pleasent but other then being bit in the shoulder, and gettin my cornia scratched I was fine. The other guy was a lot worse off, the human skull doesn't react to the pavement of a parking lot very well. The most important thing I think I have learned is that I want to avoid confrontation at all costs. You never know who your dealing with...............

Thanks a lot for your reply it really helps, and you're VERY right about never knowing what your dealing with. Aoiding confrontation is really the best way to go. I personally hate fighting with a passion but i love training for it, i love the discipline and hard work required, and i'm absolutely fascinated my martial arts and self defense systems and techniques.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/05/06 09:31 PM

Quote:

I have. It wasn't pleasent but other then being bit in the shoulder, and gettin my cornia scratched I was fine. The other guy was a lot worse off, the human skull doesn't react to the pavement of a parking lot very well. The most important thing I think I have learned is that I want to avoid confrontation at all costs. You never know who your dealing with...............

Dedicated is being rather modest. He was attacked by a group of six people outside a bar. The fact that he was the one standing, a tad worse for the wear, and the largest of the attackers was laying on the ground whining about being hurt is (in my opinion) a testament to his Krav training.
Posted by: RavenG4

Re: serious Question on krav? - 01/06/06 12:25 PM

Quote:

on krav maga, what do you all think of it's practicality and effectiveness Overall, and weapon defenses in particular, i've heard a lot of good and bad opinions on it, personaly i really, really it but that's just me, so i was just wondering what you thought. it seems simple and effective as well as very easy to learn but i dont know. oh and do any of you have experience with krave maga in an actual confrontation and did it work?

I would answer your question like this. If it's good enough to use for the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) then It seems like it would be pretty effective and practical.