Suitable for newbie ?

Posted by: Arun

Suitable for newbie ? - 12/12/05 11:46 AM

Hi,
I havent done any martial arts before. I've seen my son train in 'Wing Chun' and I am now interested in taking up a MA. Krav Maga seems interesting. Is Krav Maga someting that a novice can take up or should I do something a little easier ?

P.S. I am 40 yrs old, and slightly overweight. I can do 5 mile walks fairly briskly but apart from that no exercise.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/12/05 11:58 AM

Krav maga will whip your body into shape. Its pretty hardcore but, you should be able to do it if you try very hard. Any martial art is good for newbies, they all have basic to advanced techniques. It just depends on how hard you are willing to work!
Posted by: Lori

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/12/05 12:25 PM

Hi Arun,

You can't be any greener than I am ~ I'm a yogini whose background involves candles, incense and soothing chants...not a whit of MA experience!

I say go for it. The drills are cardio intensive, but nothing you can't then practice at home to build up your endurance (that's what I do anyway). If you like the idea of a no nonsense approach to self defense, Krav is a good choice.

And Level 1 is FULL of beginners obviously, so you won't feel out of place. My current class includes a husband/wife team, a couple of boyfriend/girlfriend teams (one girlfriend ain't too happy about it though ), guys ranging from 20 to 40 years old, a couple of teenage boys, and one 13 year old girl.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/12/05 01:08 PM

all of the above - also, the krav philosophy goes well with a person who might not have access to all the weapons (like flyin jumpin spinin high kicks) that some styles use. have fun
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 05:47 AM

teenagers...seriously? Over here the lower age limit for being allowed into Krav Maga is 18.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 10:58 AM

I was pretty surprised myself. I was shocked when the 13 year old revealed her age (she looks about 17).

Then again, being a mom of two girls, I understand why both her mother and our instructor are allowing her into Level 1. She's too old for the Kid karate class, and there aren't enough teenagers to have a specific Teen class at this point.

She was my partner two weeks ago. She caught me not paying attention during a drill, and I got smacked in the face.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 11:28 AM

I think that it is good to teach teen agers and, specifically girls, krav. I see a lot of kids being tought traditional styles without any emphasis on power or on contact, and they have great form and great flexibility, and a lot of confidence, but I don't think that they could ever use it to defend themselves. krav gives them that little bit more - the wacking power.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 12:07 PM

Does anyone remember the girl whose abduction was caught on tape by a parking lot security camera (Carly something...)? The guy was just sentenced I think.

I forget how old she was, but she looked 13 or so. Now obviously I don't know exactly what he said to her, but it looked like he just grabbed her one wrist. She submitted quickly, probably quite surprised and very frightened.

Right now, even though both my girls are in Karate, I think they'd both freeze up as well.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 12:20 PM

a few years ago in israel, two kids, I think the younger one was nine, and the older one was 11, but I may be off on the ages by a few years, fought off 2 full grown terrorists who tried to kidnap them. they studied "Dennis survival" tought by a guy who was a krav instructor at wingate.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 01:43 PM

I wish we had a Krav class for kids around here. My training center has a Kids Karate class (minus the emphasis on katas), but the girls watched one class and gave it an emphatic thumbs down.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 03:12 PM

I don't want to derail this thread, but does Dennis Survival have a www? I googled and couldn't find. I've heard of it and was told it's a Krav/BJJ/MMA school?

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 03:25 PM

this is the closest I can find.

http://www.kavanahfederation.com/israeliself1defense/
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 04:31 PM

Is it common for KM school to not teach kids? Sorry don't mean to derail the thread...
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/16/05 05:23 PM

For the most part, 18 is the minimum age for Krav.
Posted by: clammy joe

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/18/05 11:50 PM

13 or 14 years old at my school but there are very few people younger than their late teens.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/19/05 04:35 AM

I am curious to why is that?

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/19/05 07:05 PM

Quote:

I am curious to why is that?

Krav is a very physical and brutal MA. There is choking, punching, blocking and kicking that must be done close to full force. I suspect that maturity is critical and undivided attention is needed. Immaturity could get somone hurt if they "pop" somone in a choke... There are also very brutal weapons disarms that may not be appropriate for those under 18.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/20/05 07:54 AM

I think there are also some legal liability issues in the picture, but that varies from country to country.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/20/05 08:09 AM

I can understand that. But how is that any different than other MA's?

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/20/05 06:11 PM

Quote:

I can understand that. But how is that any different than other MA's?

The best advice I can give you is to go watch an advanced Krav class...I think you will answer your own question.

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/21/05 05:46 AM

Ok, thanks. I am actually going to watchin one tomorrow. They opened a new school in my area and I am going to check it out.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Suitable for newbie ? - 12/21/05 02:39 PM

I think another reason Krav should only be taught at a mature level is the mentality of it. It's hinged on survival no matter what, so you only learn techniques that will help you escape a confrontation or quickly beat down an attacker. It is simple, ugly and requires you to make yourself believe it is life or death. I don't like the idea of a 14 year old picking it up and using it to get even in the cafeteria at high school. I know personally after getting into krav, I want to fight people less than ever because what I know could really damage them. KM is alot like firing a gun - once you've made the decision to put a bullet into the atmosphere, the consequences are on you.