krav against other MA's

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

krav against other MA's - 10/19/05 11:03 PM

there seem to be a lot of krav techniques that would work well against the average street thug who is only interested in robbing or killing you. but has anyone noticed that putting these techniques to work against almost any highly experienced practitioner of a different MA often put you in more danger? i am currently working on tightening my guard when entangling and counter attacking using krav techniques because i noticed when at opponents in cqc situations, if you aren't VERY fast you can very well get nailed in exposed regions of your body. my kali instructor has been kind enough to demonstrate this on me every wednesday when i'm locked in his chokes etc.
example - after some knife manuevering, he got behind me and put me in a choke (one arm around my neck locked in by the other wrapped around my head). i immediately delivered a couple elbows to his guts and guess what? it just p1$$ed him off so he fell back, bringing me into the scariest neck-breaker i've ever been in. i'm sorry i don't know the technical terms for all this stuff.
anyway, i love krav but wish it would be taught in a way more conducive to fighting people who know what they're doing. are any of the other systems (FIGHT, haganah, whateva) more geared toward this? the saving grace of what krav is missing for me is that i feel comfortable bringing in techniques from the other MA's i study - but those don't fly in set drills. i feel bad about questioning what i'm being taught, but i want to be prepared for anything and be GOOD at it. i guess i'm at the level where the honeymoon is over and i get frustrated when something doesn't work.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/19/05 11:47 PM

SD will frequently be geared toward common, almost generic street type attacks. To counter a specific MA or MMA type attack, you will need to be very familiar with it (train it, train it some more, train it under pressure) and understand that the attacker likely has alot more where that came from. Programmed responses (KM or any other) to a headlock or Frankenstein Choke will not be nearly as effective against a trained attacker who has successfully choked out a hundred resisting opponents in training.
Posted by: umsangil

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/20/05 01:03 AM

keep training hard in your techniques. its good that you realized sometimes your techniques dont do well against other trained MA's. its part of ur martial arts experience, just use what works and discard/modify what doesnt. another thing that helps is to keep training/sparring with friends/people you meet who train in different styles. you also might be able to talk to your instructor about your problem and see what kind of solutions they offer you. dont lose faith, keep training hard.

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/20/05 11:13 AM

thanks! i just started an MMA seminar, and that seems to be helping in huge ways!
Posted by: RangerG

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/20/05 04:46 PM

I take MMA seminars when I have time, as well as seminars in other forms. I watch the adult TKD class before mine as well and keep a keen eye on their techniques. I have done fight sparing against some of the TKD students.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/20/05 06:12 PM

a few thoughts on this

1. krav was origionally designed to provide fast and simple training to healthy people to get them ready to fight well, in a short time. is was not designed to be elaborate, and probrably nobody invisioned it being used to fight very well trained people H2H. I firmly believe that if you take two healthy 18 year olds with no formal training, and train one in krav and one in TKD or some other good style, from one week to 6 months, or maybe longer, the krav student will have the edge. after a certain point, the practitioner of the traditional martial art will have a more extensive arsinal, and will most probrably have an edge.

2. krav usually is tought "harder" than a lot of martial arts. the philosophy is much harder. a good krav student, if faced with a good kung fu student, should pick up a chair or a handful of sand or some other weapon to gain an edge.

3. a lot of traditional martial arts students (and yes, not all, not all) do not learn to use strenght and agression. I work out with a lot of kung fu blackbelts who can kick beutifully, and do great forms, and have great stances - but I can tear them new a**hole because they can't put any force into their kicks or punches.

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/21/05 02:14 PM

i hear you on the hard training. i too believe actually getting punched, kicked and chopped benefits me as a fighter and i appreciate this approach to learning. this issue has honestly been bugging me because of escalation on the street -
i do not hang out with criminals, but i do have a handful of acquaintances who know or are in local crews. a guy i know was beaten with in an inch of his life last week and the story i got was that he was jumped by three teenagers who obviously were proficient in judo. this is alarming. i've heard testimony from several other people confirming that this is happening more and more. one thug trains at a gym, then teaches all his cronies what he knows. this is a major reason i started taking kali. it has all the componenets of arts like wushu, with circular defenses that lead to counter attacks etc. and a great grappling side to it. but most importantly kali makes you tough as nails and boosts your awareness (much like krav) of how to deal with more situations with a few basic end results. not to mention getting swung at with sticks keeps you on your toes...
i would really be interested in what kinds of arts others are taking to supplement or expand on krav maga. what kinds of combos from other arts do people work into it? what about weapons?
i tend to keep an eye out for any object on the street or in a bar or wherever that could make a formidable weapon, just in case. do most krav practitioners do this? well, i guess globetrotter already answered that one!
anyone else?

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/22/05 10:14 AM

Right or wrong...I would march into that dojo and have a word with the master about the fact one of his students is in a "crew" and is teaching skills to other "crew" members, and that they use these skills to attack others. I would not stand for that, and I suspect the master or instructor would not either.

That's just me. I would try and break the cycle. As far as I am concerned, all MA's are honorable, and anyone using them for evil should be called on it.

Sorry for the rant...
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/22/05 11:06 AM

Quote:

Right or wrong...I would march into that dojo and have a word with the master about the fact one of his students is in a "crew" and is teaching skills to other "crew" members, and that they use these skills to attack others. I would not stand for that, and I suspect the master or instructor would not either.

That's just me. I would try and break the cycle. As far as I am concerned, all MA's are honorable, and anyone using them for evil should be called on it.

Sorry for the rant...

+1

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/22/05 12:48 PM

i hear you on that! i just wish the rest of the world did. i at least have the peace of mind knowing there are no thugs in my school, and they wouldn't be tolerated if there were.
Posted by: csinca

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/23/05 12:20 AM

Quote:

example - after some knife manuevering, he got behind me and put me in a choke (one arm around my neck locked in by the other wrapped around my head). i immediately delivered a couple elbows to his guts and guess what? it just p1$$ed him off so he fell back, bringing me into the scariest neck-breaker i've ever been in.

I don't disagre with what others have posted but you also have to keep in mind, once an experienced person has your back, you are in it deep with the gators. There is little that most of us are going to be able to do to "get out of" a skilled person with a rear choke locked in.

By the way, elbows to the ribs are not an answer and I hope they aren't being taught as an escape from a rear choke. At best they are a distraction while you are setting up something else, and at worst, well they just [censored] the guy off.

Anyway, the question that you should be looking at is how will Krav help me keep the guy in front of me and my weapons. Ask your Kali instructor how he got to your back and go from there.

Chris

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/23/05 12:40 AM

Oh no...not elbows to the gut in that situation.. First react before the choke from the rear is on all the way..turn your head, pluck the arm and caputre it, shoulder up into his armpit to make room, duck under his arm bringing his captured wrist with you and wrap it up behind his back..

There is a variation where I deliver an elbow to his face after the pluck and before the shoulder...

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/23/05 02:14 AM

Quote:

..turn your head, pluck the arm and caputre it, shoulder up into his armpit to make room, duck under his arm bringing his captured wrist with you and wrap it up behind his back..

i would assume by this you are referring to "turning into the choke", yes?

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/24/05 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

..turn your head, pluck the arm and caputre it, shoulder up into his armpit to make room, duck under his arm bringing his captured wrist with you and wrap it up behind his back..

i would assume by this you are referring to "turning into the choke", yes?

If the arm is coming around your throat from over your right shoulder, turn your head to the left and tuck it against your chest while plucking his arm with both hands. That way his arm is not under your chin and pressing against your adams apple.. You only have a second or so to react.

I wish I could draw like oldman...

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/24/05 05:45 PM

oh, that's all right - you explained it exactly like we trained it!

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/24/05 06:30 PM

Quote:

oh, that's all right - you explained it exactly like we trained it!

I got something right?? Honest?? Wow..the senility must have gone into temporary remission...

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/25/05 11:27 AM

yeah! now if only my busted foot would heal so i can go back to class and practice it

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/25/05 06:29 PM

Oh that stinks..

My wrists are taking a beating... Do you find that the disarms are kinda rough on your wrists? It's the only part of this old body that seems to be suffering from training....

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/25/05 07:26 PM

i tend to wrap up extra on my wrists as a matter of fact, because i have very skinny arms - i don't really have too much trouble with the disarms, but man, my forearms, shins, neck and palms of my hands are anhilated at the end of my saturday MMA class. it's one of the most fun things i've ever taken, but it's brutal - hence the foot.
when i used to skateboard, i would break my wrists all the time. i eventually started wearing wrist guards manufactured by the Rector company and eventually i would use them in JKD. i liked them because they were super sturdy but a little more low profile than the MA type. might wanna check it out..
Posted by: Subedei

Re: krav against other MA's - 10/31/05 04:59 AM

The problem with reacting to the attacks of something vastly more skilled than you is their tendency to react to your reactions.

My Hapkido instructor has put me in plenty of locks I could escape and throw her from, the problem is that the second I attempt this she just shifts her weight and angle slightly making what I was about to attempt utterly ineffective.