a technique that doesn't seem to work

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/19/05 10:47 PM

in my class, we do a lot of drills that involve breaking out of a wrist grab/headlock/choke etc. i am having difficulty with a particular grab from outside of my reference -
when someone grabs your wrist from the side, instead of "hitchiking out" we are taught to pull away with what is basically an elbow chop in the opposite direction, bringing your entire body with you, to escape. if you do not keep your elbows in while executing this technique, you stand a good chance of twisting out your shoulder = painful. with most students, i have been able to pull this off, but today i paired off with a guy with a particularly strong grip and realized quickly that i could NOT escape this way. it worked when i twisted my wrist in toward him, which gave my arm back, but it wasn't at all the technique we were shown. i'm pretty sure i did it right - it just seems like this doesn't work against an opponent with a steel grip. any thoughts?
Posted by: ToddR

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/20/05 09:29 AM

Are you talking about a same-side wrist grab or opposite side? I've found that both krav defenses work fine for me--stepping in and bending the elbow to break the attacker's same-side wrist grab, and 'hitchhiking' out from a cross-wrist grab.

If you can't escape from the same-side wrist grab with the above technique you could always throw a punch to the face or throat to soften the guy up, couldn't you?

That's interesting though because I haven't had problems with these wrist grab escapes and was always surprised at how well they worked (and I certainly don't possess anyting other than average strength).

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/20/05 11:11 AM

it wasn't same side but from the side - outside of the point of reference. same technique with the elbow out escape, but the leverage is quite different. i agree, i'd probably just move into the guy and strike. still, his grip was TIGHT and even with a few face shots, i might not have been able to get out. i actually ended up doing a kali open palm technique to break it. still feel like i did something wrong here.
Posted by: satter

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/20/05 01:43 PM

That is the beauty of martial arts.
You learn how to adapt to different situations.
That is exactly what you did.
You modified the tehnique so that it works.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/20/05 09:43 PM

I guess I am still having difficulty understanding where your opponent is standing when he grabs your wrist. Is his hand on top of your wrist? Is he standing off to the side he is grabbing your from? Is he somewhat behind you and out of your field of vision?

Tonight we tried a number of wrist grabs from every possible position including from the back...and I was able to hitch-hike out of every one of them...even with a 6' 280 lb guy holding on.

I guess I need to see what you are talking about. I took a look in David Kahn's book and there were only a couple of wrist grabs on page 115...I doubt they are what you are talking about...
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/21/05 01:25 AM

I'm not sure that I'm visualizing how your opponent is grabbing you either. My recommendation would be to have the instructor watch to ensure from this particular position, and with this partner, that you're performing the technique correctly.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/21/05 10:37 AM

Shikata,

I don't do Krav,but I'll chime in here to see if I can help. When you are practicing a technique with a partner he knows what you are trying to do and will resist. Anytime a jointlock technique or break is used his mind will be on holding on,you have to interrupt that,especially when you assailant is stronger.
My advice would be to strike first,kick,slap,doesn't matter how or where.It's just to get his mind preoccupied with something else while you execute the technique. Try it next time,do your best.The technique works just keep trying.

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/21/05 01:59 PM

excellent suggestions!
to clarify the positioning - and i apologize for being unclear:
think of it as a right angle, ie i'm facing north or south and the attacker is coming from the east or west. we were escaping with what esentially is an elbow strike to the opposite side of the grab. in order to do this, your fist must contact your chest tightly or you will pull out your shoulder. this was practiced with the attacker inside and out of my peripheral vision, with one hand grabbing and two. i completely agree that exploring other avenues of escape, like distracting the assailant, will benefit me in this technique. i'm strong, but quite skinny and don't have much leverage on the guys with biceps as big as my head!
Posted by: RangerG

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/22/05 10:22 AM

I see now. I also think you should get your instructor involved. There are a couple of things in Krav that do not work for me, and I have adapted other methods to compensate. Not belt approved methods mind you, but they work in real life...and that's what counts.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 10/22/05 11:08 AM

Quote:

I see now. I also think you should get your instructor involved. There are a couple of things in Krav that do not work for me, and I have adapted other methods to compensate. Not belt approved methods mind you, but they work in real life...and that's what counts.

Difinetely! My instructor always said he wouldn't show me anything that "wasn't so."
Posted by: Plantman

Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work - 11/04/05 10:08 PM

If I am not mistaken, no matter whihc way you are grabbed, jerk towards the opening, or where the thumb and forfinger meet, works for me all the time. On a 2 handed grab you may have to use 2 hands but the idea is the same.

Plantman