Situational Awareness

Posted by: MattJ

Situational Awareness - 09/15/05 10:12 PM

There is lip-service paid to this concept in many martial arts as taught in the USA. Some even make a bona-fide attempt to create some functional skill with regards to student awareness. But most do not.

The Israeli people, I think, have one of the highest quotients for situational awareness, as they are under a fairly constant state of high alert for attackers.

My question is how much (if any) of Krav Maga's curriculum deals with awareness issues. I would think in Israel this would be a high priority with the many attempted terrorist attacks (NOTE - MattJ is not trying to be political with that term; don't know what else to call them).

The ability to realize a potential bus (train, cafe, etc.) bomber is obviously vital.

The recent situations in the USA and London seem to highlight the need for more emphasis on people being able to discern when someone else has malicious intent.

For anyone who has trained KM in Israel, is there any more emphasis on situational awareness compared to how it is taught here?
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/16/05 08:27 AM

I think is more or less comes naturally

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/16/05 10:09 AM

????????????????
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/17/05 07:35 AM

I was within hearing distance of about 12 suicide bombs over a 10 year period. I was within 10 km of maybe 100 suicide bombs during that period. the cafateria where I ate lunch in unuiversity - bombed. most of the various cafes that I sat at - bombed. the grocery store that I shoped at - bombed. most of the bus routes that I rode on regularly - bombed at one point or another.

you spend your life looking for bombers. a couple of hours a week in class doens't teach you that.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/17/05 08:09 AM

In addition to my military service, I spent eight years as a footprint tracker with the local sheriffs department. In short, I went into the woods, usualy alone, looking for escapees from the county prison, run aways, and on occasion, armed criminals...in one case...a bank robber. I have spent most of my life training in tracking people...from age 7 on. Situational awareness is an intigral part of my life. My father constantly repeated.."Be aware of everything around you, at all times".. He used to hide and try to surprise either my brother or myself.. If he succeeded, we got cuffed for our lack of awareness. It is no surprise to me that this part of our Native American Scout training has served me well..both in the service and out.

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/17/05 08:48 AM

So......KM does not address this a part of the syllabus, I am assuming?
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Situational Awareness - 09/17/05 10:01 AM

Well....yes in a way it does. You first begin with learning a lot of useful techniques, along with some awareness training..like checking in an around your vehicle before getting into it, being aware of your surroundings while walking to your vehicle. Where and how to position yourself when in a resturant or bar. Things like that. As your skills increase, you add additional awareness training. I have attended a number of seminars both in Krav and other arts that expand on the situational awareness skilss. As Krav is a self defense system, it of necessity teaches you to be aware of your surroundings. About the best I can explain it....this early in the morning..