Standup or Ground?

Posted by: RangerG

Standup or Ground? - 09/14/05 08:24 PM

Where do you want/like to be in a fight?

Some folks I have sparred with like standup, and some seem to want to take you to the ground and grapple.

Just wondering where you folks feel the most comfortable.

I have trained with professional bouncers and night club security instructors. At least in bars, most fights seem to go to the ground. Is this your experience watching or being involved? I worked in a bar in Texas many moons ago, and my experience was the fighters ended up rolling in the beer, blood and sawdust on the floor in a drunken tangle.

I honestly don't know what I prefer...as long as I can avoid showing the other person my back... I am a strong puncher and grappler...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/14/05 08:32 PM

I think it depends on the situation entirely. Enviromental concerns and number of potential opponents will dictate whether or not it is a good idea to go to the ground.

Personally, I am primarily a stand-up guy, but I will take it to the ground in a heartbeat if that is the best option at the time.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/14/05 08:36 PM

Quote:

I think it depends on the situation entirely. Enviromental concerns and number of potential opponents will dictate whether or not it is a good idea to go to the ground.

Personally, I am primarily a stand-up guy, but I will take it to the ground in a heartbeat if that is the best option at the time.

HA! My trick worked.. Now I know what to expect from you..

Na..honest, it was just a question. I have heard all kinds of talk from Krav students and each one seems to have a particular strength and when possible wants to put the opponent in the position that favors them the most... unfortunatly the opponent is thinking the same thing..
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/15/05 12:25 AM

i'm 5'6 and weigh about 135. i can hold my own on the ground but my chances of winning go down by at least 40%. personally, i love the block/parry and entangle with strikes (elbows, knees etc.) that make krav what it is!
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/15/05 01:31 AM

In my experience (MY experience) all bar fights I've seen have been won by the man who was the least drunk (or if there was a huge size difference), the only one who ended up on the ground for more than a second or two was the one that lost the fight.

I've never seen a bouncer take the fight to the ground in a club. It's always been 'bad guy looks for trouble, bouncer tells them to buzz off, bad guy shoves bouncer/gets in face, bouncer does an arm lock or strikes to the neck / face area and hip throw on the bad guy'.

Usually over in 2 or 3 moves even with the non drunk guys.

IMO standing up is the place to be as you can keep someone face down on the ground and control them completely without putting yourself on the ground too, leaving you free to do whatever. It's also a good in a CYA (cover your a$$) way as people who are observing the fight will note how you are controlling attackers, if you're merely kneeling on a bad guys arm and locking his other, it looks a lot better from a legal/witness standpoint than if you're rolling around with him on the floor or holding him in some kind of leg choke etc..
Posted by: trevek

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/15/05 04:20 AM

Bear in mind that the situation may involve the other guy's friends. If you go down then it can result in a Riverdance show on your head.
Posted by: clammy joe

Re: Standup or Ground? - 09/16/05 02:32 PM

It seems in general you'd want to stay off the ground, since if the bad guy's friends show up you're at a disadvantage on the ground, it seems the Krav way is to stay up if possible and get off the ground as quickly as you can if you do go down.

More importantly is the individual situation, if you're overwhelmed by strikes go to the ground if you think you can defend yourself best there, you have to decide according to circumstances what is best. Me, I don't know much ground fighting yet so I'd try to stay up.