A Krav Kata?

Posted by: RangerG

A Krav Kata? - 08/25/05 12:13 PM

Do you think you could create one based on 360 defense, inside and outside blocks, knife and gun disarms..etc?

I watch the Kata in the TKD class before mine..and wonder if there is merit to the muscle memory...instinctual reaction...

Just fishing for some input..
Posted by: CHOPPA23

Re: A Krav Kata? - 08/26/05 05:23 PM

I think this would be a very good idea.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/18/05 04:20 PM

RangerG, I would think that adding a form or two to KM wouldn't hurt the style at all. Even boxers shadowbox, and most have certain patterns they repeat when they shadowbox. It is about having the muscle memory to follow up what you do with a certain strike, making it a reactionary matter, instead of an intellectual matter. The only problem is that you would want someone with technical genius to make up the form, unless you borrow one from another style and modify the stances and hand positioning to fit KM. I would advise making a KM based form though, as it is actually alot easier in the long run.
Posted by: retzef

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/18/05 11:07 PM

While there is no "kata" in KM... there is "mista- krav"...rough translation is "playfighting" To actually continue with moves and techniques wound end up with broken bones so this is a good way for two or more partners to train in safety... Basically a free flowing fight in which you move well with each and think a few moves ahead... Best description is to watch the IKMA website at www.kravmagaisraeli.com and go to page of video clips and look for "playfighting" video.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/24/05 05:20 PM

I'd be interested in seeing it if you decide to do it.It will be very difficult though. Try having multiple scenario meanings for each move.I saw some krav self defense clips and I can tell you there are kata that cover most of what I saw.
I'm going to start working on a groundfighting kata next year.
Posted by: retzef

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/25/05 07:12 AM

What is the need for kata in class? The TKD and Karate classes screwed up enough of the KM classes already with the bowing. When I have gone to Krav Licensee classes that run out of TKD or Karate schools I was shocked to see the difference. If I wanted to learn eastern martial arts i would have enrolled in one of them. I want to learn KM when i go to a KM school.

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/27/05 12:26 AM

First off, retzef, your problem may lie in the use of the word kata. Just use the word form. It basically means the same thing, but loses the connotation of being Japanese in origin and thus some mystic Asian thing.

Second, if you refer to my earlier post regarding the subject, you will notice there are reasons for using forms in training. A basic level training course for military/LE purposes is one thing, but a person who wants to go more in depth into the fighting aspect of KM will enjoy the opportunity to perform the moves in a prearranged sequence, thus giving them the ability to spot new applications for different combinations.

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/27/05 12:27 AM

RangerG, if you do a form, I would also like to see it. I can tell you from personal experience it is difficult.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: A Krav Kata? - 09/27/05 12:54 AM

hey sanchin - did you see those clips online, and if so where? i'd really like to see an example of these forms.
Posted by: ToddR

Re: A Krav Kata? - 10/06/05 03:02 PM

"Groundfighting kata" sounds a lot like BJJ "flow drills" where you start in a position like the mount or guard and then transition from one position to the next by either passing your opponent's guard or using pressure and leverage to move from say a mount to a scarf hold. These are good drills for teaching you the basic BJJ positions. Check out Dave Meyer and John Will's BJJ books and DVDs, they include some of these flow drills.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: A Krav Kata? - 10/06/05 08:02 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out.