If its licensed KM, is it good?

Posted by: Kinge

If its licensed KM, is it good? - 08/16/05 09:21 AM

Short version: If a dojo is a licensed affiliate of Krav Maga, should I feel reasonably safe that the instructors know what they are doing?

Longer version: I have studied a couple of different style- 2 years traditional Okinawan Karate, 2 years Kyokushin Karate, 1 year BJJ. I know I should have stayed with one style for a solid five years, but my wife keeps having kids and interupting things! Anyway, at 35, I am getting ready to start studying MA again after a year's absence. I enjoyed the constant sparring of BJJ, but missed the thrill of strikes (except when we DID strikes, or course). I have heard great things about KM, and would like to give it a shot. The challenge is that the only KM center near me is taught at a place that does KM...and Karate...and Kickboxing...and Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I am just somewhat suspicious that the KM program could be taught by someone truly an expert in the art.

I will send an email with the dojo link if you want to take a look at the place.

Thoughts? I suppose proof is in the pudding- I could just go take a class....
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: If its licensed KM, is it good? - 08/16/05 12:49 PM

here is the thing - I haven't taken KM in the united states, I studied KM in Israel, in the army, where it was developed. there, it is very common that the instructors have studied, and practice, another style. the KM is a sort of "short course" or suppliment, to a lifelong study of one or more martial arts.

so I think that this school may be fine.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: If its licensed KM, is it good? - 08/16/05 02:10 PM

Quote:

here is the thing - I haven't taken KM in the united states, I studied KM in Israel, in the army, where it was developed. there, it is very common that the instructors have studied, and practice, another style. the KM is a sort of "short course" or suppliment, to a lifelong study of one or more martial arts.

so I think that this school may be fine.

Outstanding response! I would add that you may study an additional MA, and still study Krav once or twice a week to keep your reaction skills sharp. Most dojo's that teach Krav, have it as an addition to whatever they regularly teach. Make sure they are certified to teach Krav.
Posted by: csinca

Re: If its licensed KM, is it good? - 08/22/05 01:02 PM

A couple of ways you could look at this...

1. What do you need for it to be good. One person's good is another persons terrible. Are you training for competition, looking for general physical fitness or trying to learn the art for self defense. My wife and I get very different thigns from our Krav class.

2. In general, someone licensed to teach Krav is probably going to be a better instructor than someone not licensed. But only in general.

3. Licenses are no guarantees...just becuase someone has a driver's license doesn't mean they should be driving!

Chris