Shotgun and Machine gun disarms.

Posted by: RangerG

Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/14/05 10:07 PM

Knife and pistol disarms are getting to be automatic for me at least. How many of you have trained in the shotgun and machine gun disarms?
Posted by: Equis

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/15/05 02:42 AM

I have done the knife for a while, although shotgun and pistol are usally in KM3 and up. Right now I am doing Sparring, and BJJ alot.

I have seen other students do Gun Disarms and grenade disarms. I've seen the Law Enforcement Seminars for sworn officers do the Shotgun though. What level do you mostly train at RangerG?

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/15/05 06:27 AM

We do all levels. I have done knife, pistol, shotgun, long gun, machine gun, and club...single and multiple attackers. We also do grappling and fight class which is something between kickboxing and muay thai. Only a couple of us test for belts, but most of us are training in the advanced techniques. I'm an old guy in with a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings. The only thing I wish was that my 360 blocking was a little better...I need more speed...and youth...

I have also taken a seminar with Ryan Hover and Jeff Jimmo that was outstanding, and next week I go down to their dojo to train with Bass Rutten and Randy Couture. I am also thinking of attendind a third seminar with Amir Perets in October.

I guess I am trying to see how far I can push myself, and stay on par with the younguns
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/15/05 06:20 PM

Did you say grenade disarms? ok. I think that is a bit much,but ok.
Could someone describe the types of pistol disarms you do?

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/15/05 07:15 PM

Quote:

Did you say grenade disarms? ok. I think that is a bit much,but ok.
Could someone describe the types of pistol disarms you do?

You have to remember Krav Maga is a Combat System, so it is not too much. The class I have seen is to control the hand that has the grenade so the person can not activate it and pretty much neutralize them, or throw the grenage somewhere.

Here is a link to one of the example done in Krav Maga.
http://www.realfighting.com/0102/yigal3.htm

And here is the grenade one. http://www.realfighting.com/0102/yigalgal.htm

And some infor on these guys on this webpage.

http://www.realfighting.com/0102/yigal.htm
Enjoy.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/17/05 08:32 PM

I was really expecting this to be bullshit, but from the pictures it is not far removed from what we were tought in the israeli military. what they should also tell you is that the chance of your getting our unharmed is pretty slim.

the best way to take out a grenade is to sneak up on the guy, one guy shoots him in the head and one guy throws his body on the grenade. if i had to do it alone and unarmed, and I really had to do it and couldn't find any weapons, the way they have here is probably the best.

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/18/05 04:54 AM

Quote:

I was really expecting this to be bullshit, but from the pictures it is not far removed from what we were tought in the israeli military. what they should also tell you is that the chance of your getting our unharmed is pretty slim.

the best way to take out a grenade is to sneak up on the guy, one guy shoots him in the head and one guy throws his body on the grenade. if i had to do it alone and unarmed, and I really had to do it and couldn't find any weapons, the way they have here is probably the best.

In our classes the instructors always tell us these type of defenses are always last resort. The best way not to get stabbed,shot, or blown up is try to avoid escalating force. The defenses up your chances of surviving, the key word surviving not neccasarily unharmed. I would rather much at least not stand around getting stabbed multiple times as most people do when attacked by a knife. At least with a block or moving out the way you can run or try to disarm. These disarms are also taught to US Law Enforcement so it is not that far removed from real life situations.

I am finding it irate that most people come on onto the Krav Maga forum and directly or undirectly state similar things to like, oh this looks like crap, my kung-fu mantis style is better, or just dismiss the training as utter crap. I am not here to state either no endorse it is what KM is Contact Combat not for scoring points, but to survive most plausable and non-plasuable situations.
Posted by: csinca

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/20/05 06:00 PM

Hey guys, I've been in Krav for a couple years now and we don't focus much on weapons takeaways,mostly hand-to-hand, which is fine with me.

But I'm curious why you would spend much time working on grenade takeaways unless you are in a military program (yes I know that KM is a "military martial art" ...). I'm very unlikely to ever need such a thing, and if I do it is the result of a long string of bad decision making on my part... I guess I have no interest in putting time into such a thing when there is so much other stuff to learn.

So are you learning this for military reasons or do you really not get along with your neighbors?

Chris

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/20/05 06:29 PM

In our location, we only train with guns, knives and clubs. Grenades, rocket launchers and armored vehicles are a little advanced for us.

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/20/05 08:57 PM

I'm all for the knives and clubs. Even gun disarms I'm not so sure about. I know some guys that are very much into gun disarms and even more importantly weapon retention skills, but that's just not for me. Though I can understand and respect that it suits others...

However, in my opinion, when you start training against granades you are either getting ready for deployment or acting out some fantasies.

Chris
Posted by: umsangil

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/22/05 03:55 PM

I say its better to know something than to know nothing. What if you find yourself in that situation due to circumstances completely outside of your control. Its just good to know the knowledge is there.

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/22/05 06:28 PM

We all have to make our own decisions and I can see that some may want to pursue grenade disarms (in this case that has a couple of meanings!). I guess it just doesn't fit in with my training...

Good luck!

Chris

Re: Shotgun and Machine gun disarms. - 07/22/05 07:05 PM

I'm a bit on the fence with this. Grenades are a little over the top. but with the world situation at this time, the old scout rule comes into play...be prepared.