Blocking inside punches.

Posted by: Equis

Blocking inside punches. - 07/11/05 03:59 AM

I find that I am using the Wing Chung inside punch block alot. The one that has the hand open in a waiters serving position. That feels soooo much more natural to me, yet my instructors tells me that is used when I don't have my hands up in a ready position. He tells me to use the slap down block where my hands rides over the arm of the puncher then eventually into their eyes. I like the WC one better since you can squeeze out 2 blocks instead of one in case it is a combo punch, or I can move out of the way and kick or low body punch after the block.

I am curious if I am the only one that prefers the WIng Chung style one over the KM one. Although the KM one is a block and attack at the same time. I feel I have more control with the other one. Oh well.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/11/05 08:16 AM

I need to go see what that block looks like. But I would say that what works and is comfortable for you, is what you are going to use if attacked. Training in both styles can't hurt, and why that circle in the KM Logo is there..to let new ideas in

I suspect the instructors insist on everyone doing the same thing in class.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/11/05 03:06 PM

I am gravitating more and more to using a boxing style "cover" when blocking. I find that it allows me to get into a useful striking/clinching range somewhat easier.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/11/05 04:59 PM

Quote:

I am gravitating more and more to using a boxing style "cover" when blocking. I find that it allows me to get into a useful striking/clinching range somewhat easier.

That's what I would suggest too.It also allows you to be creative with your elbows.

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/11/05 07:27 PM

I use this method as well, but I wanted to see the Wing Chung style...can't find a picture tho.. I wonder if Oldman can draw one..

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/12/05 04:36 AM

I can't find an exact picture of what I am talking about. I did find this cover of a book of what I am talking about. The guy in the left, with his right hand, is doing what I am doing . http://www.wle.com/wholesale/media/VUWCW04.jpg

I find this easier so I can slip in and still give an elbow or fist strike.

Of course it's only useful for that one first strike, if you are fast enough to detect it.

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/12/05 12:21 PM

OK..now I understand.

Not sure I like having an open hand in an upturned position like that...how does that put you into position to rotate your hips into a cross punch to the chin or throat?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/12/05 06:12 PM

He hehehe...WAX-ON Equissan.

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/13/05 03:03 AM

Well, I don't do it like that WC style of stance. It is done from a KM fighting stance, I find it effective and easy! If I turn the hand it it either becomes an other block or a fast palm strike to the face.

Re: Blocking inside punches. - 07/13/05 11:15 AM

OK...I see how that could work. I like the palm strike idea.