Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area

Posted by: Equis

Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area - 06/24/05 04:54 AM

We practice with alot of females taking KM.
What irks me the most is that most of the time I get gashes or nice cuts in my eyebrow area or arms when practicing with them.

So I tend to let the females practice with themsleves unless an instructor says "hey try with this big guy."

I would love to to practice with my fellow female practitioners but damn I like my eyes way to much to become blind because someone refuses to shorten their nails just a tad.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area - 06/24/05 06:38 AM

Yes well I have one potential hard A$$ girl ask for a proper choke, she wanted realism and said her pluck would work. I Replied remember keep plucking and dont get cocky as if you dont suceed on the first attempt you must fight, fight, fight.

She kept asking for the absolute realsim, and after she didnt suceed the first time she blacked out.

There goes the realism.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area - 06/24/05 09:09 AM

yeah, I get that all the time, scratches on my face and arms.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area - 06/24/05 12:41 PM

We require all students...male and female to keep their nails short.

So far, no problems.
Posted by: Equis

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye - 06/24/05 12:56 PM

Quote:

Yes well I have one potential hard A$$ girl ask for a proper choke, she wanted realism and said her pluck would work. I Replied remember keep plucking and dont get cocky as if you dont suceed on the first attempt you must fight, fight, fight.

She kept asking for the absolute realsim, and after she didnt suceed the first time she blacked out.

There goes the realism.

Yhea, I had a similar situation where a girl thought she was all that. You know she plucked all day long and groin kicked and she got cocky. The instructir was getting pissed and told one of the male students to choke her firmly. Long story short she now knows how to really pluck and kick people in the groin correctly.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye - 06/24/05 02:20 PM

this actually reminds me, when I was in a KM course in the army, there was a course of women going on in parallel, in self defence. one day we were asked to play "red team" - to attack the women and have them fight us back. they were trying to basically get away, and we were trying to pin them down. it was sa great motivator for the women to feel what it is really like to fight.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Anyone else keep getting scratched in the eye area - 06/30/05 04:38 AM

You should speak to your instructor about this.

If women want to be accepted in martial arts equal to their male counteparts, they should follow the same rules-especially when it comes to safey.
Sharon