Hi there!

Posted by: Ava

Hi there! - 06/09/05 01:51 AM

I'm new to this forum so I thought it only right to say hello and to introduce myself. My name is Ava and not only am I new to this site but also new to Krav Maga. As a matter of fact, my very first class is tomorrow evening. I'm really looking forward it! Could someone please give me some advice on what type of shoes i should get? I'm pretty much clueless . Thanks
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 11:41 AM

Hi!

Sneakers are the general wear during our Krav Classes, however I like wrestling sneakers the best.

Hope you enjoy your class, and be sure to come back and tell us what you think of Krav...and chime in on our varied threads.

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 12:38 PM

Thanks RangerG! I'm really excited for my class tonight! I will definitely keep ya posted.

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 12:57 PM

I just talked to a friend and she suggested I try these (click on "multi view" to get a better idea of what they're like).
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6197892/c/126.html

My friend used a pair of these for volleyball all last summer and thought they might work good for me as well. What do ya think??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted by: clammy joe

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 02:00 PM

My main concern about shoes is that they hold up when kicking the target pads, which we do a lot of. The first shoes I bought for Krav were reef or surf shoes which are like waterproof slippers for the beach. I bought them because they were only $10 or so. They are very comfy but they fell apart within a month. Now I use an old pair of Converse All-Stars that I used to wear on the street but now I use only for Krav. They've held up well and I might buy a new pair just for Krav when they do fall apart.

Most of the people at my class use martial arts shoes of some sort, they seem to stand up well and are relatively cheap. You can also try Kung Fu shoes, they are under $10.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 02:21 PM

Quote:

I just talked to a friend and she suggested I try these (click on "multi view" to get a better idea of what they're like).
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6197892/c/126.html

My friend used a pair of these for volleyball all last summer and thought they might work good for me as well. What do ya think??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm.... I would be afraid they would grip the mat too much.. I find that something with a smooth rubber sole tends to have just the right amount of grip, does not damage the mat and when ground grappling...does not take the skin off your partners face during those unfortunate and quite accidental foot/face interface errors...

Re: Hi there! - 06/09/05 06:48 PM

I've been running all day and haven't had a chance to stop and pick up any shoes. Planned on doing that on my way to class. But, I actually have an old pair of Cons myself so I'll just use them tonight. Yay! That saves me some time and now I can relax for a few.