Anything similar to KM that has more access?

Posted by: Equis

Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/01/05 06:24 AM

I am just ready to quit my KM training center I like the techniques behind KM but the "McDojo" just sucks on instruction and advancement of students. I have seen guys around me go for like 4 months and go to Km2 like that. Instructors pick their favorite little students and focus on them solely and give sloppy seconds instructions for us in the class in terms of quality.

So the next two KM "dojos" are too far and too expensive for me what other styles are similar to KM? I am not looking for anything crazy like the MOvie Hero or Fly House of Daggers, I need this for Security and Law Enforcement type situations.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/02/05 01:36 AM

The Security & LE forum???

Unless you are really hooked on KM.
Posted by: dipset115

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/02/05 12:59 PM

I am just curious to know where you train because it seems like the place i go to is just like that in D.C.
Posted by: Equis

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/02/05 06:48 PM

Quote:

I am just curious to know where you train because it seems like the place i go to is just like that in D.C.

No it is not the D.C. one, but sorry to hear that there is an other one just like my Training Center.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/03/05 12:06 PM

Hapkido is similar to KM but it's a lot more complex. Going to take you much longer to be effective so I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/06/05 11:40 PM

American Kenpo Karate is likely to be similar to KM, but it will also entail learning things such as forms (kata). Also, there is a severe risk of finding a mcdojo. If there is a school in your area, check it out. If it isn't a mcdojo, I highly recommend this style, especially to someone who's trained in KM, it won't be total culture shock.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/07/05 02:52 PM

I am not aware of any form that is close to KM that is more widespread. Keep in mind that KM is a conglomeration of other forms, so I would find the form that meets your needs with regard to weapons disarm, fighting style and ground fighting techniques. I am very sorry you are finding your classes to be less that what you had expected. Let me think on this a bit and I may revisit the subject in a couple of days. I just got back from a mini vacation and my mind is in a state of flux.
Posted by: Ace

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/07/05 07:51 PM

i dont live in America, but Hock's SFCA cqc style is fairly similiar, not sure if it's near where you are though

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/18/05 10:33 AM

I guess you can also google locations for Haganah, just in case it is taught in areas that Krav is not.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/18/05 06:00 PM

It seems world over Krav has the same problems, awsome to learn but after a year or so it stops dead as the instructors dont seem to want further progression to occur.

A similar system would be hocks, systema or JKD

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/18/05 11:12 PM

I am at the point were everything is review, so I double my efforts to improve my form and techinque..become faster..more effective.

I'm also old so it takes a few times for things to sink in...

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/19/05 01:00 AM

Im 32, with 15+ years of training I see something once or twice and can do it. Yes Practice makes perfect and 5000+ reps are need to make something habit. But progression would also be good.

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/19/05 06:32 AM

I guess that to progress, you would need to add some other MA skills to KM. For example, we do "fight class" which is kickboxing with headgear, shin pads and 16oz gloves. I would also think JJ or BJJ would improve the ground fighting skills. Something like 98% of all street fights end up on the ground...with the bystanders kicking both of you.

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/19/05 08:26 AM

We have the Kevlar combat suits that an attacker wears and you can fight them full comtact in, I mean absolutely full everthing goes. It awsome. As for the ground fighting I love BJJ, however we do a fair bit in our Krav classes; which allows for getting out, getting up and avoiding mulitple attackers.

Where as any BJJ I have done always seemed to concentrate on tieing up the one attacker and winning the fight on the ground.

Ah well gunning for instructors course and hopefully overcoming politics.

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/19/05 04:00 PM

We are thinking about a "Redman" suit. We could also use it in female self defense courses.

I suspect it would be less expensive than the kevlar suit.

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 06/20/05 12:13 AM

Dont know I didnt buy them, we have two. They are well worth while and provide excellent training.
Posted by: OttawaNewbie

Re: Anything similar to KM that has more access? - 08/08/05 02:18 PM

I have found that Wing Chun Kung Fu is very similar to KM in the standing position and the approach. It is also an excellent base from which to develop other styles/systems.