Techniques Used

Posted by: Ace

Techniques Used - 05/27/05 10:36 PM

I am wondering what sort of takedowns, throws and grappeling techniques are used in KM, such as wirist locks, armbars, goosenecks, hammer locks, wrist takedowns, leg reaps, finger locks ect. Just curoius as to the coremoves and if there is a structured learning process (learn moves progressively depending upon instant usefullness and learning curves) Answers from instructors or students would be appreciated.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Techniques Used - 05/29/05 08:58 PM

KM takes its techniques from other forms with modifications to make them work in harmony with a persons natural instincts. Ground work is generaly JJ.

That's the basic concept. Just a few techinques so as not to overwhelm, but still make it quick to learn and effective.

I'm sure others on this forum will chime in as well.

You may also want to check the websites I have posted in other threads.

If you have more questions, please feel free to post them here.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: Techniques Used - 06/19/05 12:58 AM

Krav is very much like JKD it is foreveer changing in its approach. In just 2 years I have seen a dozen modifications in ground defences alone.

Re: Techniques Used - 06/19/05 04:03 PM

I like the fact that KM is a living system...that it can be updated, can evolve in concept and style.
Posted by: Equis

Re: Techniques Used - 06/21/05 01:23 AM

A living stlye I like that. Just like they explained the Logo to me, it is open so the good can come and or the bad techniques for the person can go .
Posted by: MitchM

Re: Techniques Used - 07/06/05 12:41 PM

RangerG is exaclty right in that KM is a very open system. I've been training in KM since '86 in Los Angeles and I can tell you it has evolved significantly in the almost 20 years I've been involved. The core self-defense techniques and training methods are very much the same, but many things have removed and more has been added. If something works and is realitivly easy to teach to civilians (something they can use in a short period of time) it makes it way quickly into the curriculum.

When the National Training Center opened in Los Angeles, the Cheif instructor brought in ju-jitsu instructors to teach the ground fighting classes and techniques. The KM techniques weren't eliminated, but the scope was very limited. I feel the system is much better for having done so.

Of course one of the problems with the openness to new ideas is that KM can look very different from one school to the next. But, that make visiting other schools/dojos interesting (and sometimes frustrating).

Re: Techniques Used - 07/06/05 03:27 PM

Quote:

RangerG is exaclty right in that KM is a very open system. I've been training in KM since '86 in Los Angeles and I can tell you it has evolved significantly in the almost 20 years I've been involved. The core self-defense techniques and training methods are very much the same, but many things have removed and more has been added. If something works and is realitivly easy to teach to civilians (something they can use in a short period of time) it makes it way quickly into the curriculum.

When the National Training Center opened in Los Angeles, the Cheif instructor brought in ju-jitsu instructors to teach the ground fighting classes and techniques. The KM techniques weren't eliminated, but the scope was very limited. I feel the system is much better for having done so.

Of course one of the problems with the openness to new ideas is that KM can look very different from one school to the next. But, that make visiting other schools/dojos interesting (and sometimes frustrating).

Outstanding post Mitch!

Let's see what we can do with the next 20 years!